Page 136 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1721

Thread: A day without stupid?

  1. Top | #1351
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    72
    This is officially the dumbest "both sides" tu quoque argument I've heard in two, possibly three days:


    (View video on YouTube)

    Apparently, Alec Baldwin rigged the election.

    By the way, the president of the United States is arguing that there should be criminal penalties for people using their freedom of speech to criticize him. Where are all the Free Speech Warriors demanding Trump's head for attacking freedom of sp… buwahahahahahaha! Sorry. I couldn't keep a straight face. Of course they don't have a problem with the president arguing for criminal consequences for public criticism. That's because the Saturday Night Live actors are not white supremacists, and according to conservolibertarians, freedom of speech only applies to white supremacists. Other people should be put in jail for saying things the government finds inconvenient.

  2. Top | #1352
    Veteran Member James Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,680
    Archived
    5,844
    Total Posts
    8,524
    Rep Power
    54
    Part of me wonders about that. It's standard to ask, "Had Obama done this..." and wonder why Obama critics are silent when Trump does something similar or worse.

    Either the Obama critics are really supporting Party over Principle. Or they shrug off the latest Trump stunt because they know that nothing will come of it. Trump may want criminal penalties for criticizing him, but it won't happen, so why work up the energy to protest? Just keep the powder dry for when a Democrat takes office.

  3. Top | #1353
    Veteran Member Opoponax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    California Central Coast
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    Part of me wonders about that. It's standard to ask, "Had Obama done this..." and wonder why Obama critics are silent when Trump does something similar or worse.

    Either the Obama critics are really supporting Party over Principle. Or they shrug off the latest Trump stunt because they know that nothing will come of it. Trump may want criminal penalties for criticizing him, but it won't happen, so why work up the energy to protest? Just keep the powder dry for when a Democrat takes office.
    It's about the tens of millions of Americans who would support Trump's attempts to silence free speech. One of the things that Americans supposedly hold most sacred is the right to speak freely without being punished. Over the past few years, that's changed.

    As for Obama's critics, they were never serious. They're disingenuous hypocrites with an authoritarian agenda, which ties in nicely with America's newfound disdain for its First Amendment.

  4. Top | #1354
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Layton, UT
    Posts
    1,134
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    Part of me wonders about that. It's standard to ask, "Had Obama done this..." and wonder why Obama critics are silent when Trump does something similar or worse.

    Either the Obama critics are really supporting Party over Principle. Or they shrug off the latest Trump stunt because they know that nothing will come of it. Trump may want criminal penalties for criticizing him, but it won't happen, so why work up the energy to protest? Just keep the powder dry for when a Democrat takes office.
    It's about the tens of millions of Americans who would support Trump's attempts to silence free speech. One of the things that Americans supposedly hold most sacred is the right to speak freely without being punished. Over the past few years, that's changed.

    As for Obama's critics, they were never serious. They're disingenuous hypocrites with an authoritarian agenda, which ties in nicely with America's newfound disdain for its First Amendment.
    Your last part applies to a majority of americans actually.

    When asked about freedom of religious expression in generic terms, something like 99% of people were for it.

    When asked if Muslims/Satanists/Jews/etc. should be able to place monuments along side xian monuments on government property, that dropped drastically.

    So when the rubber meets the road most americans are hypocrits and don't understand the constitution (much like they don't read their bible).

  5. Top | #1355
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    22,308
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    64,781
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    Part of me wonders about that. It's standard to ask, "Had Obama done this..." and wonder why Obama critics are silent when Trump does something similar or worse.

    Either the Obama critics are really supporting Party over Principle. Or they shrug off the latest Trump stunt because they know that nothing will come of it. Trump may want criminal penalties for criticizing him, but it won't happen, so why work up the energy to protest? Just keep the powder dry for when a Democrat takes office.
    It's about the tens of millions of Americans who would support Trump's attempts to silence free speech. One of the things that Americans supposedly hold most sacred is the right to speak freely without being punished. Over the past few years, that's changed.

    As for Obama's critics, they were never serious. They're disingenuous hypocrites with an authoritarian agenda, which ties in nicely with America's newfound disdain for its First Amendment.democracy
    FIFY.

  6. Top | #1356
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    15,052
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    39,552
    Rep Power
    72
    Mattis' resignation letter was a well-crafted 'fuck off' to Trump, and his 'America First' efforts to drive away all our allies.

    Trump then tweeted that Mattis has announced his RETIREMENT.

    Nowhere in the letter is 'retirement' used.

  7. Top | #1357
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    2,314
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    2,488
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Mattis' resignation letter was a well-crafted 'fuck off' to Trump, and his 'America First' efforts to drive away all our allies.

    Trump then tweeted that Mattis has announced his RETIREMENT.

    Nowhere in the letter is 'retirement' used.
    Perhaps it's not done at the cabinet level but it stood out to me there was no compliment at the close. Not even so much as the minimalist "r".
    Dwight

  8. Top | #1358
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,766
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    38,319
    Rep Power
    72
    Baldwin must be very happy he is getting to Trump.

    That's the only reason he keeps doing it.

  9. Top | #1359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Bible Belt, USA
    Posts
    824
    Archived
    2,467
    Total Posts
    3,291
    Rep Power
    61
    Now Trump wants to fire Fed Chair Powell for raising interest rates.

  10. Top | #1360
    Veteran Member blastula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The greatesst state
    Posts
    4,640
    Archived
    6,070
    Total Posts
    10,710
    Rep Power
    55
    “A nation without borders is not a nation at all. Without borders, we have the reign of chaos, crime, and — believe it or not — coyotes.”


Similar Threads

  1. Ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer
    By LordKiran in forum Freethought Humor
    Replies: 623
    Last Post: 11-16-2017, 03:43 AM
  2. Trump Says Something Really Stupid
    By Jimmy Higgins in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-08-2017, 11:03 PM
  3. The NC Pee-pee Law: And the stupid continues.
    By AthenaAwakened in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-19-2016, 03:40 AM
  4. Ted Nugent Says Something Stupid... Again
    By ZiprHead in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 10:49 PM
  5. How were Republicans so Stupid ...
    By T.G.G. Moogly in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •