Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 97 of 97

Thread: The evils of political correctness.

  1. Top | #91
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    3,155
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    6,599
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Here's a great documentary about political correctness

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2iFikOwYU
    To summarise: Phillips argues that leftist elites in various positions of influence and power--particularly whites--are afraid to confront problems in minority populations because other leftist elites will call them racist, leaving right-wing populist elites (like the UKIP) as the only ones willing to confront those problems (and offering bad solutions).
    I recall Rubin saying something similar leading up to the Trump election and I agreed. When the left goes regressive and shifts focus to ridiculous things like gender pronouns, "rape culture", micro aggressions, etc, the far right and its bad ideas look more sensible to the average Joe.

  2. Top | #92
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,460
    Archived
    4,797
    Total Posts
    7,257
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Which raises the question, given that you couldn't care less about Trump in this context, why the devil did you rope him into your hypothetical in the first place? What the heck does he have to do with it that you felt the urge to throw a gratuitous "like Trump" into a hypothetical that makes perfect sense without it? The only reason to have mentioned him at all that makes sense is because there's currently a rumor going around that he said that, and you ran with it, thereby helping spread the rumor.
    You are wrong. Since Trump is capable of saying something that stupid and awful, it is simply a reference to someone tangible that such an idiotic statement is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Yeah, I think that saying all Mexicans are rapists is a Trump-like thing to do.
    So what's the evidence that saying all Mexicans are rapists is a Trump-like thing to do? What has Trump said that's as stupid and awful as someone saying "All Mexicans are rapists."? What are some of these plentiful very good reasons people have to believe that Trump could have said that all Mexicans are rapists? When did he say all members of any ethnicity were criminals of any sort?

    I'm not helping spread a rumor, which I couldn't care less about. I took advantage of a well-known pre-existing fact that people have plenty of very good reasons to believe that Trump could have said that all Mexicans are rapists to make a point about PC.
    EB
    That helps spread a rumor; and you did make a point about PC. Congratulations.

  3. Top | #93
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,460
    Archived
    4,797
    Total Posts
    7,257
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    You left out the early part of the discussion. In post #73, I wrote
    “A lie is a knowingly false claim. In order for someone to repeat or spread a lie (as opposed to an untrue claim), then either the originator of the claim knew it was false or the repeater of the claim must know it is false. You provided no evidence to support either basis for the claim it is a lie.”
    And I addressed that in post #74. I don't actually need to recite the entire history of our exchange in every post.

    To break that down, that means that in order for the statement to actually be a lie, you would need to show
    In order for it to be a lie, I don't need to show a bloody thing. The world contains lots of lies that have not been shown by me to be lies.

    that

    1) the originator knew it was false, or
    2) any intermediary repeater knew it was false, or
    3) Kaine knew it was false, or
    4) speakpigeon knew it was false.

    Another way to look at this is that your claim that it is lie is an implicit claim that at least one of those is true.
    Bingo.

    I was simply pointing out that you had not shown that #3 or #4 were true.
    Wrong. You were indeed pointing that out, but you were also asserting the existence of "your claim that either Kaine or speakpigeon knew it was false". That's you making an explicit claim that my above implicit claim included only options 3 and 4, not 1 and 2.

    Given the almost three day gap in time between my post and your response, it appears you inadvertently failed to model the same standard of accuracy and intellectual honesty you demand of others.

    I have a job. There are other demands on my time besides dealing with your sophistry, and most of them are better uses of it.

  4. Top | #94
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,368
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    51,311
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    And I addressed that in post #74. I don't actually need to recite the entire history of our exchange in every post.
    That is not an excuse for misrepresenting a position.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    In order for it to be a lie, I don't need to show a bloody thing.
    You are the one making a claim of fact, not me. Of course you don't need to substantiate your claim of fact. But then don't expect anyone to take your claim seriously.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Wrong. You were indeed pointing that out, but you were also asserting the existence of "your claim that either Kaine or speakpigeon knew it was false". That's you making an explicit claim that my above implicit claim included only options 3 and 4, not 1 and 2.
    I was pointing out you had not met #3 and #4 of the criteria. Duh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    I have a job. There are other demands on my time besides dealing with your sophistry, and most of them are better uses of it.
    Absolutely. In fact, given the persistent poor quality of reasoning, of argumentation and of intellectually honesty in your responses in this thread, not responding at all is the best use of your time.
    Last edited by laughing dog; 06-19-2017 at 12:27 AM.

  5. Top | #95
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    2,156
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    5,818
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    You are wrong. Since Trump is capable of saying something that stupid and awful, it is simply a reference to someone tangible that such an idiotic statement is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Yeah, I think that saying all Mexicans are rapists is a Trump-like thing to do.
    So what's the evidence that saying all Mexicans are rapists is a Trump-like thing to do? What has Trump said that's as stupid and awful as someone saying "All Mexicans are rapists."? What are some of these plentiful very good reasons people have to believe that Trump could have said that all Mexicans are rapists? When did he say all members of any ethnicity were criminals of any sort?
    Sorry I don't plan to go on a Google search just to satisfy your demands. I'm good as things stand.

    We all have heard what kind of language Trump does use again and again. I trust I am a rational person and so I trust the overall impression I personally have and the judgement I personally have long made of Trump and of what kind of things he says. I also observe that my judgement is comforted by the fact that few people have attracted so much criticism, including from his political allies in other countries. It's telling just to listen to Britain's Conservative Party grandees squirm when ask to comment on Trump's pronouncements.

    I also make a clear distinction with the propaganda coming from the Left. I did not repeat their propaganda, I expressed my personal opinion as a rational person, pretty much like what most people do anyway, you included.

    The reality is that you picked the wrong guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    I'm not helping spread a rumor, which I couldn't care less about. I took advantage of a well-known pre-existing fact that people have plenty of very good reasons to believe that Trump could have said that all Mexicans are rapists to make a point about PC.
    EB
    That helps spread a rumor; and you did make a point about PC. Congratulations.
    Yeah, right, so by voting for your political representatives in America you personally helped American soldiers and bombs burn alive Syrian and Iraqi babies?

    As to PC, I didn't advocate PC as your turn of phrase carelessly suggests. Rather, because I'm a rational person, I tried to show why people do it. It's also clear to me that we all do it, to some extent, including you, right now, against me. You're trying to shame me into believing I'm helping spread lies. The use of the word "help" is clearly disingenuous and meant to shame.

    If you disagree with this idea that the word "help" suggests the will to achieve what you are said to help achieve, then I'd like you to confirm that you agree that by voting for your political representatives in America you personally helped American soldiers and bombs burn alive Syrian and Iraqi babies.
    EB

  6. Top | #96
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA, Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    1,643
    Archived
    5,710
    Total Posts
    7,353
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Yeah, I think that saying all Mexicans are rapists is a Trump-like thing to do.
    So what's the evidence that saying all Mexicans are rapists is a Trump-like thing to do? What has Trump said that's as stupid and awful as someone saying "All Mexicans are rapists."? What are some of these plentiful very good reasons people have to believe that Trump could have said that all Mexicans are rapists? When did he say all members of any ethnicity were criminals of any sort?
    Sorry I don't plan to go on a Google search just to satisfy your demands. I'm good as things stand.

    We all have heard what kind of language Trump does use again and again. I trust I am a rational person and so I trust the overall impression I personally have and the judgement I personally have long made of Trump and of what kind of things he says. I also observe that my judgement is comforted by the fact that few people have attracted so much criticism, including from his political allies in other countries. It's telling just to listen to Britain's Conservative Party grandees squirm when ask to comment on Trump's pronouncements.

    I also make a clear distinction with the propaganda coming from the Left. I did not repeat their propaganda, I expressed my personal opinion as a rational person, pretty much like what most people do anyway, you included.

    The reality is that you picked the wrong guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    I'm not helping spread a rumor, which I couldn't care less about. I took advantage of a well-known pre-existing fact that people have plenty of very good reasons to believe that Trump could have said that all Mexicans are rapists to make a point about PC.
    EB
    That helps spread a rumor; and you did make a point about PC. Congratulations.
    Yeah, right, so by voting for your political representatives in America you personally helped American soldiers and bombs burn alive Syrian and Iraqi babies?

    As to PC, I didn't advocate PC as your turn of phrase carelessly suggests. Rather, because I'm a rational person, I tried to show why people do it. It's also clear to me that we all do it, to some extent, including you, right now, against me. You're trying to shame me into believing I'm helping spread lies. The use of the word "help" is clearly disingenuous and meant to shame.

    If you disagree with this idea that the word "help" suggests the will to achieve what you are said to help achieve, then I'd like you to confirm that you agree that by voting for your political representatives in America you personally helped American soldiers and bombs burn alive Syrian and Iraqi babies.
    EB
    This is quite the dance around the rather unfortunate reality that Trump has never said nor implied what you claimed.

    Also, I would agree that American voters have personal responsibility when it comes to the burning alive of Syrians and Iraqis. Call it help, or whatever.

  7. Top | #97
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    2,156
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    5,818
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    This is quite the dance around the rather unfortunate reality that Trump has never said nor implied what you claimed.
    How is that 'rather unfortunate'?

    And Speakpigeon has never said or implied what you claimed.


    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Also, I would agree that American voters have personal responsibility when it comes to the burning alive of Syrians and Iraqis. Call it help, or whatever.
    That's not what I asked Bomb#20. If you want to reply to the question, please do it properly.
    EB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •