Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has acting and musicianship quality decreased in the cell phone, social media age we live in?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Has acting and musicianship quality decreased in the cell phone, social media age we live in?

Just a random thought.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Maybe, maybe not. Cell phones have been in general use since the mid 1980s. That's not really enough time to make such a judgement. If it were true, what would be the linkage?

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Distraction, plain and simple.

Also only in the past 10 years has internet browsing been easy and in the past five moreso and now in the past two years these screens are very large with high resolution and the bandwidth gotten very good.

Social media has taken a lot of oxygen out of the room (mental headspace) as well.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    i'm going with no.

acting is at a level beyond what it has ever been before, the performances being put out right now year-to-year are utterly incredible across multiple platforms and genres.

music is a bit more nebulous, it's harder to quantify and it's a much broader spectrum of output to gauge, not to mention how subjective it is.
    i can definitively say that the kind of music that i like is not as prevalent anymore and isn't being made as much as it once was, so the overall scope of current music is less interesting to me... but that's based on my personal taste in music, i wouldn't call it a decrease in the quality of music.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Social media has taken a lot of oxygen out of the room (mental headspace) as well.
    Yeah one problem is the amount of material being made. Quality music is made working with a professional recording engineer - in an actual studio. The tablets and notwhats are for practice but nobody seems to understand that. Music is piling up so fast there is no time to enjoy it. The internet is devaluing everything.

Napster days were alright. Trade a beat and tweak it - send it back to be altered some more. Forget about collaborative masterpieces now. Social media is greatly about selfishness and desperation. Now, making decent tunes requires being a complete prostitute. A diseased one. You can see how fast it is spreading if you can do third grade math.

Soon everything will seem sort of empty. People will probably turn back to the classics at that point, because of course there is a deep need for good music. I rarely find a good cd while dumpster-diving in what remains of our real world, and same goes for surfing You Tube for good stuff. It almost isn't worth looking anymore.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    i'm going with no.

I'm going to agree.

Lately I've been revisiting some of the movies and television from the 70s and early 80s (before the internet) and while it seems like a cliche', we really are living in a "golden age" of dramatic content on the small screen for certain.

As far as music goes, we're still in a transitional period as far as I'm concerned. The ability for artists to make music without the aid of expensive studios has gone at a speed which the creativity hasn't been able to keep up with, but I think there's a time coming where this ability is going to lead to some really amazing music.

The technological advances have been used to create greater superhero shows and EDM music respectively, but I think a point is coming where content creators in both visual and audio are going to go for quality over quantity, and the results will be amazing.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    musicianship yes--going back to the Ipod. acting, no, not that I have noticed

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    I don't see why the quality of acting would go down. As for music, I think the tech advancements cut both ways, increasing the % of music that is crap created by talentless hacks, but also increasing the raw number of highly talented musicians who can make their music available to people.

The personal tastes of DJs and label scouts used to partly determine what got exposure and thus became popular. I suspect most of them had a better ear for quality and talent than the average person. Now, what becomes a viral hit is largely unpredictable and more of a bottom-up social contagion phenomenon. That social contagion favors lowest common denominator music, and thus while more "democratic" probably produces more worthless crap that gets old in week and won't stand the test of time. Also, its now so cheap and easy to put your music out there that more and more people without any real talent or artistic vision are just tossing out crap in the hopes they get rich and famous.

However, that same easy and cheap feature means that more and more people will try their hand at music and thus more people with actual talent will not only wind up discovering that they have it, but the odds of being exposed to obscure talent is much higher. So, while if you just pay attention to the charts, the ratio of gems to vile crap is lower today than 30 years ago. However, if you spend some thoughtful effort searching, you can find a greater number of talented musicians today.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Just a random thought.
    This social media age is what 5 to 8 years old? What is the basis for coming to a conclusion at all?

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm going with no. My kids attend performing and visual arts school and let me tell you, some of these kids are unbelievable musicians (actors and artists too).