Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Massive Fracking Plan Near Yellowstone National Park Threatens Wildlife, Air Quality, Climate

  1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    15,102
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    18,136
    Rep Power
    87
    ITMFA

    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

  2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    26,151
    Rep Power
    69
    Not to mention near a super volcano.
    If it happens, our species deserves it.

  3. Top | #3
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,631
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    32,108
    Rep Power
    82
    Well we all know how this will play out.

    A plucky young female geologist will be fired from the USGS by her evil director, when she refuses to ignore a report that the fracking has caused an instability that will cause the Yellowstone Caldera to erupt.

    Undeterred, she enlists the help of a US Airforce pilot, who got a dishonourable discharge for standing up for the correct security protocols for nuclear warheads.

    Between them, they formulate a plan to re-seal the supervolcano by stealing a warhead from a nearby airforce base (incidentally pointing up the fact that he had been right all along about the poor security), and placing it in the vent of Old Faithful.

    A car and helicopter chase through spectacular scenery ensues, and due to the delay caused by evading the Military Police, the ex-pilot is caught by the steam jet, just as he heroically places the warhead.

    Massive explosions, the bad guys are killed by a huge lava flow that engulfs the office where the evil USGS director is in the process of collecting his kick-back from the fracking company.

    Miraculously the ex-pilot escaped the blast, and comes out of a cloud of steam and ash, carrying a rescued kitten, and with photogenic soot stains on his face and a torn shirt showing off his abs; Female geologist falls into his arms and tells him that the nuke worked, and the world is saved.

    Frankly, it would be shocking if it turned out any other way.

  4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Southwest U.S.
    Posts
    2,081
    Archived
    8,759
    Total Posts
    10,840
    Rep Power
    63
    If enough took saving gas seriously, it wouldn't pay nearly as much for this industry to be so desperate.

  5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,410
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    26,151
    Rep Power
    69
    Yeah it's not the greedy corporations making decisions to destroy the planet, it's consumers whose fault it is after being lied to by the corporate marketing campaigns.

  6. Top | #6
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,631
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    32,108
    Rep Power
    82
    The recent increases in demand for gas are largely driven by the installation of wind and solar power generation, which requires gas power plants to provide dispatchable capacity for when the wind drops or clouds cover the sun.

    'Renewable energy' means 'energy backed by gas', and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

    If you lobby for the use of wind or solar power, then you are actively creating the conditions for fracking to become more widespread, whether you intended to or not.

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Southwest U.S.
    Posts
    2,081
    Archived
    8,759
    Total Posts
    10,840
    Rep Power
    63
    I'll take that as a tentative no then.

  8. Top | #8
    Member Kilgore Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    296
    Archived
    246
    Total Posts
    542
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Yeah it's not the greedy corporations making decisions to destroy the planet, it's consumers whose fault it is after being lied to by the corporate marketing campaigns.
    If consumers saved a lot of energy then demand would go down so the corporations would not need to supply as much gas. Isn't that just basic logic? Now whether consumers want to save energy is another story...

  9. Top | #9
    Member Kilgore Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    296
    Archived
    246
    Total Posts
    542
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    The recent increases in demand for gas are largely driven by the installation of wind and solar power generation, which requires gas power plants to provide dispatchable capacity for when the wind drops or clouds cover the sun.

    'Renewable energy' means 'energy backed by gas', and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

    If you lobby for the use of wind or solar power, then you are actively creating the conditions for fracking to become more widespread, whether you intended to or not.
    I don't understand how that works. Let's say 5% of energy comes from solar. Then later we improve that to 10%. Why do you need more gas than before?

  10. Top | #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    24,776
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    121,528
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    The recent increases in demand for gas are largely driven by the installation of wind and solar power generation, which requires gas power plants to provide dispatchable capacity for when the wind drops or clouds cover the sun.

    'Renewable energy' means 'energy backed by gas', and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

    If you lobby for the use of wind or solar power, then you are actively creating the conditions for fracking to become more widespread, whether you intended to or not.
    I don't understand how that works. Let's say 5% of energy comes from solar. Then later we improve that to 10%. Why do you need more gas than before?
    Because when the sun goes behind a cloud what takes over has to be gas or hydro.

Similar Threads

  1. Wildlife Photography
    By RavenSky in forum Hobbies And Crafts
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 11-03-2019, 07:06 PM
  2. Global Warming to Climate change to Climate Catastrophe.
    By T.G.G. Moogly in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 10-20-2018, 06:07 PM
  3. The end of fracking and energy storage all in one...
    By Horatio Parker in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-14-2015, 04:17 PM
  4. Climate Change Fanatics Confront Growing Evil - Climate Lukewarmers
    By maxparrish in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 03:11 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •