Page 469 of 490 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 4895

Thread: Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

1. Top | #4681
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ok I'm giving thumbs up to Santa Jaws

2. Top | #4682
    Veteran Member
    Zombieland: Double Tap, 7/10; Stars Woody Harleson and Jesse Eisenberg. A group of four survivors of the zombie apocalypse are holed up in the White House pretty much bored with each other and getting on each others nerves. Two of the group leave, a girl named Wichita and a younger girl Little Rock. Wichita returns a short time later with news that Little Rock took off with a hippy from Berkeley. This prompts the rest of the group to go out into Zombieland and get their friend back. Plenty of action and wisecracks in equal measure. Low brow entertainment and quite enjoyable.

3. Top | #4683
    Deleted
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I watched The Fly, for about the third time. Made in 1986 and starring the great Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis. A scientist is turned into a fly after an experiment with teleportation goes wrong. A good SF film from that era. 7/10

4. Top | #4684
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Finally made it to see the Star Wars finale (?). It was good. Not great, but really well made. Not groundbreaking, but the production values were very good. It did everything it had to do - including redeeming the series from the disappointing previous installment - and it wrapped everything up with a few well-done nods to the fans. I have a few beefs, though...

"Suddenly, there's a surprise fleet." Twice. So, Palpatine has been building a secret fleet of star destroyers on a secret planet for decades and didn't launch them when they were completed and ready for battle, instead holding off until the very last minute (which he knows didn't work the last time)? And the rest of the galaxy were afraid to go toe to toe with the First Order, but when Lando comes to them and says "we're going to attack this fleet that makes the First Order look like peanuts" they're suddenly all in?

I like the fact that they gave Leia/Carrie a proper send-off (again fixing the mistake of Last Jedi), but sat through the first couple minutes of credits waiting for something...anything...for Peter Mayhew. Nope. I also thought the "oh and Leia also trained as a Jedi and had a light saber" thing was a stretch and kinda forced.

And having recently re-watched the first (and only good) season of Heroes, I was disappointed that Matt Parkman was killed off.

Overall, though, good. 7/10.

5. Top | #4685
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    I watched The Fly, for about the third time. Made in 1986 and starring the great Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis. A scientist is turned into a fly after an experiment with teleportation goes wrong. A good SF film from that era. 7/10
    Didn't see that one, but this one has stuck with me.

6. Top | #4686
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Pavarotti

A documentary on the life of opera superstar Luciano Pavarotti. Directed by Ron Howard. Tells the story of his life from childhood to opera star to worldwide superstar to his scandalous affair and finally his death. Filled with anecdotes from friends, family, business associates, and other stars he performed with. Chock filled with some of the most beautiful music ever put on film. I was struck by how, when he wasn't performing, he was almost always smiling.

The docu, of course ends with Pavarotti's total earth-shattering performance of the Nessun Dorma from Turandot.

Highly recommended. 10/10

Shown on Showtime.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

7. Top | #4687
    Deleted
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Didn't see that one, but this one has stuck with me.

I'm intrigued, and loved Vincent Price. I'll attempt to find and watch it on YouTube.

8. Top | #4688
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Finally made it to see the Star Wars finale (?). It was good. Not great, but really well made. Not groundbreaking, but the production values were very good. It did everything it had to do - including redeeming the series from the disappointing previous installment - and it wrapped everything up with a few well-done nods to the fans. I have a few beefs, though...

"Suddenly, there's a surprise fleet." Twice. So, Palpatine has been building a secret fleet of star destroyers on a secret planet for decades and didn't launch them when they were completed and ready for battle, instead holding off until the very last minute (which he knows didn't work the last time)? And the rest of the galaxy were afraid to go toe to toe with the First Order, but when Lando comes to them and says "we're going to attack this fleet that makes the First Order look like peanuts" they're suddenly all in?

I like the fact that they gave Leia/Carrie a proper send-off (again fixing the mistake of Last Jedi), but sat through the first couple minutes of credits waiting for something...anything...for Peter Mayhew. Nope. I also thought the "oh and Leia also trained as a Jedi and had a light saber" thing was a stretch and kinda forced.

And having recently re-watched the first (and only good) season of Heroes, I was disappointed that Matt Parkman was killed off.

Overall, though, good. 7/10.
    The best I can say about it is that it wasn't bad. And I can only say that by forcing myself to concentrate on how good the film looked, and ignore the incomprehensibly terrible plot and pacing. It does the exact same thing that JJ Abrams did with his first installment of the trilogy, it steals the entire plot from the movie in the same position in the first trilogy, and makes it worse. This is just Return of the Jedi rehashed, with plot points thrown at a wall without a care for whether or not they even stick. The Last Jedi was the best film of this trilogy, and it was not a very good film either. I am glad they have finally concluded the Skywalker saga, enough damage has been done. Now they need to put the people behind The Mandalorian in charge of the franchise, and see if they can't right the ship.

9. Top | #4689
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    Now they need to put the people behind The Mandalorian in charge of the franchise, and see if they can't right the ship.
    Give it a minute. That's just like their previous plan to put the people behind Game of Thrones in charge of the franchise because of how good that one was.

10. Top | #4690
    Veteran Member
    7 Days In Entebbe, 6/10; Stars Rosamund Pike in the true story of the hijacking of an Air France plane and the rescue mission on Entebbe airport in Uganda in 1976. The movie fails to deliver the tension and action needed to make it beyond a 6/10 but it does a decent job of laying out the historical events that took place. It should have gone further and shown the ramifications of the operation on Africa. Plus, there was some fluff dance piece that was interspersed throughout the final scene which was a bit annoying.

Diego Maradona, 7/10; HBO documentary about the Argentinian soccer legend, Maradona. An interesting look at Maradona's turbulent life and career using never before seen footage of him at home and with family. There is some great footage of him playing and training. He is quite a character.