Page 506 of 508 FirstFirst ... 6406456496504505506507508 LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,060 of 5074

Thread: Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

1. Top | #5051
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Watching a couple older movies, as in 10+ years.

Training Day - Denzel Washington turns heel in such a great way. An Oscar winning way. An Oscar he was due years before. Ethan Hawke plays Hoyt, the possible newb entry into Harris's drug detail, which he learns is pretty crooked and twisted. A bunch of stuff occurs which appears somewhat random, but is actually Harris in the middle of his own plot to try and save his bacon due to some stuff that went poorly elsewhere. Most of the film is about Harris's mental manipulation of Hoyt, who he himself, must decide what he is and isn't willing to deal with. The plot is a bit convoluted in the sense that Hoyt not being involved would have made things a bit easier for Harris to accomplish what his goals were. Why Harris would have invited this needless complication is problematic, but not something that can't be overlooked in what is an otherwise intense but decently centered cop drama. Hawke and Washington are very very centered attention wise for the film and both deliver very well. I really enjoy this movie. So much I'll overlook that the streets are always wet even though it didn't rain. 3.5 of 4

Hellboy - Back when comic book movies didn't have Marvel Studios, Hellboy was a creation that was a step in the right direction. It is a little dated, but otherwise, a fine comic book movie, from a time when comic book movies were hit or miss (and often it was a miss). 3 of 4

2. Top | #5052
    Contributor
    The Beguiled, 6/10; Released in 1971 and stars Clint Eastwood as a severely wounded union soldier seeking refuge in a all girls school during the American civil war. As Eastwood starts to recuperate he charms the girls and teachers and the sexual tension mounts between Eastwood and three of the women. Jealousy starts to eat away at the women as they compete for Eastwood's attention. It's an interesting drama but could easily have been a comedy farce but the movie falls a bit flat. There is a 2017 remake which is also based on the same novel, A Painted Devil by Thomas Cullinan.

3. Top | #5053
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I watched "Undercover Brother" for about the 12th time because hilarious comedies help me cope. And, hopefully, we all know that laughter is the best medicine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_Brother

Undercover Brother is a 2002 American satirical spy action comedy blaxploitation film directed by Malcolm D. Lee and starring Eddie Griffin. The screenplay is by Michael McCullers and co-executive producer John Ridley, who created the original Internet animation characters. It spoofs blaxploitation films of the 1970s as well as a number of other films, most notably the James Bond franchise. It also stars former Saturday Night Live cast member Chris Kattan and comedian Dave Chappelle as well as Aunjanue Ellis, Neil Patrick Harris, Denise Richards, and Billy Dee Williams, and features a cameo by James Brown.

4. Top | #5054
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Deadpool and Deadpool 2 - I just love these two movies. At points it teeters at too much, but usually it manages to sway back into not too much. These films are crafted carefully and well to prevent them from creating something quite awful, like Suicide Squad. 3.5 of 4

5. Top | #5055
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Deadpool and Deadpool 2 - I just love these two movies. At points it teeters at too much, but usually it manages to sway back into not too much. These films are crafted carefully and well to prevent them from creating something quite awful, like Suicide Squad. 3.5 of 4
    I can’t feel my legs…. Oh, there they are..

6. Top | #5056
    Squadron Leader
    I've been watching a LOT of movies lately, mostly with the other three people in our household (two of whom insist on Thai subtitles). We have different tastes in movies, so it's hard to find films we'll all enjoy.

Enola Holmes (2020) — We all really enjoyed this! My wife wants me to find more movies like this one; suggestions?
    Enola Holmes may have been somewhat childish, but I like childish things! I picked it because we all enjoyed The Witcher Season 1, and its star Henry Cavill also appears in Enola Holmes.

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) — Another Henry Cavill film. I liked it, but two Thais found it too confusing.

Pig (2021) — This is the new film with Nicholas Cage that gets rave reviews. The other three liked it, but I thought it was unusually bad and pointless! Character study? Nothing developed. Detective story? Nothing developed. Love interest? Not unless you count Cage and his pig, and the pig disappears almost immediately.
    My sister and her family watched it with us (though on different continents). They all liked it ... except my sister. (Maybe taste in movies is genetic.)

Ethan Frome (1993) — Same complaints as for Pig, but even worse. Some 19th-century (or early 20th-century) novels seem too dreary and too boring. In that sense this film may have been faithful to its Edith Wharton source! I didn't invite the others to watch this with me; I think that was a good decision.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) — It's been well over fifty years since I last watched this, and I had fond memories of this very famous film. My sister went to see it eleven times! Lines like "Who are these guys?" have become iconic.
    But I found the re-watching of this old film exceedingly tedious and boring.

Many old movies seem slow-moving and very boring to me these days. I don't think this is due to animation, graphics, high-tech chases, etc.: My favorite movies don't rely on such. Perhaps people were more patient in the pre-Internet age and liked slow-paced movies.

This is NOT to say I dislike ALL old movies. Some of my very favorite movies were made in the 1940's or 1950's and were VERY fast-paced.

7. Top | #5057
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I can’t feel my legs…. Oh, there they are..
    Two of my favorites too.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

8. Top | #5058
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Baby Driver (2007) Great car chase scenes and good sound track. 4/5 Stupid name for a movie, but there was a reason for it.

9. Top | #5059
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDMAN View Post
    ... Stupid name for a movie, but there was a reason for it.
    I assume a sequel to Dirty Dancing, essentially, Baby Does NASCAR.

10. Top | #5060
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiploc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDMAN View Post
    ... Stupid name for a movie, but there was a reason for it.
    I assume a sequel to Dirty Dancing, essentially, Baby Does NASCAR.
    You'll have to watch to find out...it's worth it.