Page 485 of 485 FirstFirst ... 385435475483484485
Results 4,841 to 4,845 of 4845

Thread: Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

1. Top | #4841
    Also, there was no explanation for Jaimie Lee Curtis being cut from the will. I guess including might be repetitive.
    She took her share while he was still alive, as seed money for her own (successful) business.

2. Top | #4842
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Whoa, really? I watched Knives Out a few weeks ago and loved it! It's campy, but I thought it was rather meant to be, and Daniel Craig's performance had me in stitches.

8/10 stars.
    Well the reviews on here were positive so I gave it a go but it was not my cup of tea. The first 20 minutes were fine, snappy dialogue and what not but it came over as a half hearted Guy Ritchie knock off.

Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I thought Knives Out was formulaic. If you like the whodunnit genre, it's okay. But it has all the limitations of the form -- including the big old house where the rich guy lived, the half dozen or so people who stood to gain by his death, etc., etc. The form was done definitively in And Then There Were None (1945 version; accept no substitutes.)
    I agree, it was formulaic but the cast in Knives Out was very good, particularly Don Johnson. He’s a pretty good actor really.

3. Top | #4843
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Also, there was no explanation for Jaimie Lee Curtis being cut from the will. I guess including might be repetitive.
    She took her share while he was still alive, as seed money for her own (successful) business.
    Is that from the book?

The estate had $60M in cash, besides the property and books...in the movie JLC's business only cost $1M to start.

4. Top | #4844
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Dr. Cook's Garden (1971 TV movie)
    One of the few Bing Crosby films I hadn't seen. Made when he was 67, and, except for a cameo appearance in Bob Hope's Cancel My Reservation (1972), Bing's last film role. And he plays a mass murderer! I thought from the title that this would be a knockoff of Marcus Welby, but noooo. It's actually a latecomer in the What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? cycle. Very strange for Bing, and he's actually pretty good, playing the title role with restraint and blandness, since the part is a nutcase who has the whole town fooled. (Now, if they really wanted to make a demented story, they'd've had Bing reprise his Father O'Malley character from Bells of St. Mary's, only now as a murdering priest who brained unsuspecting parishioners with his censer and poisoned the holy water. And just imagine the murder scenes you could have in the confessional.)

5. Top | #4845
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My Spy - 7/10 for the genre, probably 3.5/10 for film in general.
    a nice simple action/comedy, it felt like a real 80s throwback - it seriously reminded me a lot of Kindergarten Cop, both in the overall setup and premise and several of the beats.
    big muscle man law enforcement is surveilling the ex wife and kid of a terrorist, ends up getting involved in this lives, hijinks ensue.
    the thing is though, it's well written within the framework of what it is. the funny bits are funny, the action bits are actiony, it's intentionally self aware and a throwback but the screenplay works well with that fact and so it was a surprisingly enjoyable little weekend flick.

Guns Akimbo - 3/10
    this is a high concept film that, by its premise, wants to be one of those crazy over-the-top buzz movies that's a fun romp for its ultra-violence and cool aesthetic, but it's waaaay too tepid.
    it didn't go over-the-top enough, far too much of the movie is played straight to where the odd 4th wall breaking moments feel out of place and any dramatic payoff becomes pointless.
    good example of what happens when you stumble in your commitment to finishing what you've started, i suppose.