Page 401 of 462 FirstFirst ... 301351391399400401402403411451 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,010 of 4617

Thread: Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

1. Top | #4001
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiploc View Post

Unsubscribing from this thread.
    Why?
    because underseer treats the media and pop culture forum the same way derec treats the political forum - it's a soap box for him to scream his utterly batshit insane delusions about the world and other people, and not a single person who reads these threads agrees with a single word he's saying and sooner or later gets fed up with it.

2. Top | #4002
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post

Why?
    because underseer treats the media and pop culture forum the same way derec treats the political forum - it's a soap box for him to scream his utterly batshit insane delusions about the world and other people, and not a single person who reads these threads agrees with a single word he's saying and sooner or later gets fed up with it.
    Oh, it’s not limited to this forum. I can’t even view the “images that make you laugh” thread without running into more underseer batshittery.

3. Top | #4003
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Arthur the remake. Again not a patch on the original with Dudley Moor. Not even the talents of Helen Mirren could save this flop. Russel Brand couldn't act his way out of a brown paper bag. Very disappointing tame effort. 3/10

4. Top | #4004
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    Oh, it’s not limited to this forum. I can’t even view the “images that make you laugh” thread without running into more underseer batshittery.
    I think it'd be nice if people could just remove the politics from media. The problem does happen though because there are examples in media where criticism comes forth because of identity (Black Panther, Annie, Star Wars, etc...). The well is getting so poisoned that it is almost impossible to discuss anything without someone pulling out a cup of bitter liquid.

I think Underseer certainly is hyperbolically (yes... that is a word) adding it to this and other threads, but he is reflecting on the real hyper-identity based intolerance online that is elsewhere, and occasionally seen here. We need to drop it in this and M&PC threads, unless a topic is specifically about it. People shouldn't have to unsubscribe to threads outside of PD because of PD incursions.

5. Top | #4005
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't mind Underseer's hyperbolic responses to identity-based intolerance. Most times I agree with him.

It's the preemptive strikes against hypothetical future intolerance that I find tiresome.

And while I haven't unsubscribed from Media threads, I certainly don't participate in them like I used to. Woe unto me if I don't sufficiently enjoy a movie that Underseer has declared to be the apex of racial nirvana.

6. Top | #4006

Why?
    I just blocked him. He's not worth taking seriously. What does bother me though is that the mods allow it to continue. I have complained and cited posts where he's called me and other bigots, white supremacists, and hurled other personal insults, all of which is clearly against the forum's rules.

In the politics forum, I kind of lost it a few weeks back and went off on another poster. I received a warning for it, which was fair. I'd crossed the line. And it made me more mindful of how I respond to other posters. Unfortunately, Underseer isn't held to the same standard, and I don't know why.

7. Top | #4007
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    I don't mind Underseer's hyperbolic responses to identity-based intolerance. Most times I agree with him.

It's the preemptive strikes against hypothetical future intolerance that I find tiresome.

And while I haven't unsubscribed from Media threads, I certainly don't participate in them like I used to. Woe unto me if I don't sufficiently enjoy a movie that Underseer has declared to be the apex of racial nirvana.
    Funny how it's tiresome when I pre-emptively complain about the complaints we constantly get from certain folks, but not tiresome when those certain folks feel the need to inject their racism, misogyny, etc. over every little non-white male character introduced to a science fiction movie.

These people have piled so much garbage into the national debate that they publicly drove actresses off of social media with racist/misogynist insults and abuse, but sure. It's "tiresome" when I complain about it.

This is pretty much textbook white fragility. People are more upset by people complaining about racism than the actual racism itself.

8. Top | #4008
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 12-21-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: derailing comments removed

9. Top | #4009
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Anyway, Aquaman was good. A bit better than above average, which is a huge improvement over other recent DC films.

No, I don't think it rises to the level of Wonder Woman, although it has a much better third act.

But unlike Batman vs Superman or Justice Leagues, the motivation of all the characters make sense. Their motivations make sense and don't contradict themselves.

Much of the movie consists of musclebound men shouting macho platitudes at it other ("Dude, I'm like totally gonna beat you up!") such that it feels like a cross between Dragonball Z and an action movie from the 1980s. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because the movie doesn't pretend to be anything particularly meaningful, deep, nor arty. It knows what it is, doesn't try to be what it isn't, and just has fun with what it is.

It's about what we should expect from one of the better Fast and Furious directors. (Did I mention that he's amazing at directing action sequences? Because the action in this movie is well worth the ticket price.)

If all of the DC movies end up like this, I'm going to be seriously bummed out. Hopefully, this movie is the way that it is because WB execs finally figured out that each property within the franchise needs its own separate style and feel.

It's fun, and it doesn't try to be anything other than fun. That's not a bad thing.

7/10

10. Top | #4010
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    I just blocked him. He's not worth taking seriously. What does bother me though is that the mods allow it to continue. I have complained and cited posts where he's called me and other bigots, white supremacists, and hurled other personal insults, all of which is clearly against the forum's rules.

In the politics forum, I kind of lost it a few weeks back and went off on another poster. I received a warning for it, which was fair. I'd crossed the line. And it made me more mindful of how I respond to other posters. Unfortunately, Underseer isn't held to the same standard, and I don't know why.
    What a special princess snowflake. Confronted with complaints about racism and misogyny, of course, your reaction is to get triggered and immediately retreat to a safe space by blocking me.

We have actual fascists and white supremacists in this forum community, one of whom even uses a fasces as his avatar, but it's curious that they didn't trigger you and hurt your feelings and cause you to retreat behind a safe space by blocking them. Golly, I wonder why actual white supremacists didn't offend you and hurt your feelings, but someone complaining about them did. Oh well, I guess we'll never figure it out.

Yeah, I know he blocked me, and I know he'll never read this, and yes, this is obviously for the benefit of whatever other fragile white people are reading this.

The fact that we have actual neo-fascist/white supremacists posting here and people complain more about what I have to say than what they have to say should be illuminating, but of course, it doesn't. No one wants to stop and consider what that difference in reactions says about them, so it's easier to complain about the person who keeps talking about the very racism and misogyny that drives the difference in their responses.

We elected a white supremacist president.

He got elected not in spite of his racist statements, but because of his wildly racist statements.

We have had a large increase in racist violence since the white supremacist got in the White House.

I am frankly fucking done with dancing around white fragility. I get that many if not most of you are more offended by people talking about racism than the racism itself. I get that most of you are more offended by people talking about misogyny than the misogyny itself. I get it because I'm half white and often feel those things also, but unlike you, I stopped and thought about why this difference of responses exists.

Most of you don't stop and think about why you're more upset about discussions of racism than the racism itself because you don't have to. It doesn't hurt you personally, and in many ways, you benefit from it, so why bother doing anything about it? If you benefit from it, then it is perfectly reasonable to get angry at people who complain about because if society acknowledges that it is wrong and tries to discuss the details of what is wrong, you might lose your unfair advantage.

I'm not saying you're doing this consciously, but that's the essence of cognitive biases (in this case self-serving bias), isn't it? You're not aware that you're doing it or that it is influencing your decisions and responses.

Again, I get that because of white fragility, I've hurt your feelings, but given that America is sliding into fascism and we can't explain to half of the fucking country why fucking toddler concentration camps are a bad thing, I am fucking done with dancing around everyone's white fragility.

Fuck
    your
    delicate
    princess
    fucking
    snowflake
    fragile
    fucking
    feelings.

People are dying because of your delicate fucking feelings and your reticence to so much as discuss glaring injustices that exist in society.
    You are a clown.

That is fine, but I'd appreciate it if you stop spoking for other people as if you represent them.

You are not doing minorities any favors by acting like a clown. Just know that.