Page 483 of 485 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485 LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 4848

Thread: Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

1. Top | #4821
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Lovebirds - 2/10

ever seen Date Night? steve carrel, tina fey, a couple go out and get pulled into a series of incidents... it's quirky and funny and has a lot of memorable lines in it and is one of the few rom-coms that i love.
    now imagine that, only it's utterly terrible in every single way with awful writing, stupid dialogue, and everyone is shrill and retarded.

2. Top | #4822
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    The Lovebirds - 2/10

ever seen Date Night? steve carrel, tina fey, a couple go out and get pulled into a series of incidents... it's quirky and funny and has a lot of memorable lines in it and is one of the few rom-coms that i love.
    now imagine that, only it's utterly terrible in every single way with awful writing, stupid dialogue, and everyone is shrill and retarded.
    The title sounds promising at least. Speaking of Steve Carell. Recently watched Crazy Stupid, Love. Who decided Carell is a comedian anyway? If it wasn't for Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone's characters, the movie was a disaster. 4/10

3. Top | #4823
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Shoplifters

I can't describe what makes this film so involving without foreshadowing developments, but it's well worth seeing. 9/10
    My Brane Hertz

4. Top | #4824
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Final Countdown

What would happen if a modern (in 1980) aircraft carrier were thrown back in time to December 6th, 1941 by a mysterious storm? Would they be able to use their superior firepower and technology to stop the attack on Pearl Harbor?

More importantly, would it make a cool movie? I think the answer is mostly yes.

Kirk Douglas is great as the captain of the Nimitz. A young Martin Sheen shines as the "consultant" dropped off on the ship who figures out what's going on and asks the important questions. Charles Durning does a great turn as a Senator caught up in the time travel dilemma he doesn't understand due to his outsized ego. The resolution to the story is a little too easy, and it's wrapped up in a way that doesn't quite work, but hey...F-14's fighting Japanese Zeros? That was pretty cool.

5. Top | #4825
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    The Final Countdown

What would happen if a modern (in 1980) aircraft carrier were thrown back in time to December 6th, 1941 by a mysterious storm? Would they be able to use their superior firepower and technology to stop the attack on Pearl Harbor?

More importantly, would it make a cool movie? I think the answer is mostly yes.

Kirk Douglas is great as the captain of the Nimitz. A young Martin Sheen shines as the "consultant" dropped off on the ship who figures out what's going on and asks the important questions. Charles Durning does a great turn as a Senator caught up in the time travel dilemma he doesn't understand due to his outsized ego. The resolution to the story is a little too easy, and it's wrapped up in a way that doesn't quite work, but hey...F-14's fighting Japanese Zeros? That was pretty cool.
    Saw that about a dozen times as a kid. Loved the Zero trying to shake the F-14 by flying into clouds.

6. Top | #4826
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Florence Foster Jenkins

I watched this expecting a film with Maggie Smith.

Got quite a surprise.

Meryl Streep deserves a purple heart for taking that on.
    My Brane Hertz

7. Top | #4827
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spikepipsqueak View Post
    Florence Foster Jenkins

I watched this expecting a film with Maggie Smith.

Got quite a surprise.

Meryl Streep deserves a purple heart for taking that on.
    That is a good movie. I heard her story on NPR, likely this Snap Judgement piece.
    Dwight

8. Top | #4828
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ad Astra - 0.5/10
    it gets 0.5 marks for at least being a studio production that had the camera pointed in the right direction and had completed special effects.
    but literally everything else about this was abysmal: the story was a tired retread cliche about the end of the world and daddy issues, and the narrative beats were nonsensical, and in many places the science was really blatantly garbage for the sake of a dramatic moment.
    it's exceedingly rare that i won't finish a movie, and this was one of them.

The Lighthouse - 0/10
    speaking of movies i didn't finish...
    this was the cinematic equivalent of being strapped to a combine engine in the sun for 2 hours: loud and boring.
    the dialogue is muttered under a ton of environmental sound effects, and then hard cuts to something extremely loud, so for the 45 minutes i attempted to watch this dumpster fire i spent more time with my finger on the volume control than i did engaged with the film.
    not that there's anything to engage with... two guys are running a lighthouse on an island. it sucks. the end.

Ready or Not - 5/10
    a fairly light hearted silly/stupid horror comedy, with an unusually dumb setup to its premise, but it mostly makes up for it with the clever use of comedic gore and tactical violence.

9. Top | #4829
    Veteran Member
    Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, 5/10; Stars Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams as an Icelandic pop duo who aspire to win the Eurovision Song Contest. They get their chance to represent Iceland after the original artist is killed in a boating accident. It's an OK movie and has some pretty spectacular musical sequences in it. The humor is subtle as it takes the piss and pays homage to one of the cheesiest song competitions ever invented.

10. Top | #4830
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Vast of Night, 2019. Found on Amazon. If you are a fan of The Outer Limits and Art Bell, black and white TV and radio, check this one out. I really really enjoyed it.