Page 402 of 471 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412452 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 4707

Thread: Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

  1. Top | #4011
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    25,196
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    67,669
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer
    What a special princess snowflake. Confronted with complaints about racism and misogyny, of course, your reaction is to get triggered and immediately retreat to a safe space by blocking me.
    You include these comments in a lot of your posts. We can have threads about these issues in M&PC, but we don't need them constantly posted in many posts in threads like this, unless in response to what someone has said.

    You've also thrown out a very wide net and are catching all kind of fish and calling them all trout. Let's keep this thread on topic about recent DC films and how much they disappoint us, but provide sufficient fodder for Rifftrax.

    "MARTHA!!!"

    "How do you know my safe word?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Anyway, Aquaman was good. A bit better than above average, which is a huge improvement over other recent DC films.

    No, I don't think it rises to the level of Wonder Woman, although it has a much better third act.
    Uh oh... didn't really think Wonder Woman was that good to begin with. I'll wait until this goes into the dollar DVD bin.

  2. Top | #4012
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    74
    Yes, I get it. We still have toddler concentration camps and innocent people still being gunned down in the streets by the police on regular basis, but goodness forbid we complain about racism and the effects of racism too frequently. That would be annoying.

    It's ok when racists constantly inject politics into discussions about science fiction and comic books by constantly whining about "political correctness" this and "social justice warrior" that, but gosh, how dare I anticipate their whining and criticize them for it? I've clearly crossed the line.

    Can you guys ever forgive me?

    Well, Opponax clearly can't. He's retreated to his safe space where he can still read what the openly white supremacist forum members write, but won't have his delicate sensibilities offended by reading criticism of white supremacists.

    They are easily triggered, they whine, suppress speech, retreat to safe spaces, then accuse me of their own flaws, but darn me for pointing any of this out.

  3. Top | #4013
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    74
    Back to Aquaman, Moviebob described it as "either the best bad movie or the worst good movie of the year," and he meant that as a compliment. That right there sums it up pretty well.

  4. Top | #4014
    Veteran Member KeepTalking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    St. Louis Metro East
    Posts
    3,414
    Archived
    3,057
    Total Posts
    6,471
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer
    What a special princess snowflake. Confronted with complaints about racism and misogyny, of course, your reaction is to get triggered and immediately retreat to a safe space by blocking me.
    You include these comments in a lot of your posts. We can have threads about these issues in M&PC, but we don't need them constantly posted in many posts in threads like this, unless in response to what someone has said.
    Yes, Underseer puts that disclaimer in many of his posts here in M&CG, but it doesn't bother me, as it is usually set off and easily ignored. I think he is probably wasting his time with it, but I could give a shit less whether he does it or not, because I know it doesn't apply to me, and the posters here that seem to be pissed off about it are posters I generally don't care for because they tend to espouse white supremacist attitudes, so fuck them.

  5. Top | #4015
    Veteran Member prideandfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a drawer of inappropriate starches
    Posts
    1,494
    Archived
    2,715
    Total Posts
    4,209
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Uh oh... didn't really think Wonder Woman was that good to begin with
    be careful... when i dared to suggest that it wasn't a great movie, i was accused of being a neo-nazi conservative proud boy cuck, because i had to audacity to point out it was full of ridiculous plot holes (even relative to being a super hero movie) and horrible writing.

    which for me is the real crux of this little side-conversation - that one of the forum's most stridently progressive bleeding-heart liberals gets that sort of BS flung at them for simply not liking a movie that happened to have a woman in it.
    that's putting your horse's bones in a burlap sack and carrying it around with you so that you can bullwhip the bag every now and again to teach it a lesson.

  6. Top | #4016
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    25,196
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    67,669
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Uh oh... didn't really think Wonder Woman was that good to begin with
    be careful... when i dared to suggest that it wasn't a great movie, i was accused of being a neo-nazi conservative proud boy cuck, because i had to audacity to point out it was full of ridiculous plot holes (even relative to being a super hero movie) and horrible writing.

    which for me is the real crux of this little side-conversation - that one of the forum's most stridently progressive bleeding-heart liberals gets that sort of BS flung at them for simply not liking a movie that happened to have a woman in it.
    that's putting your horse's bones in a burlap sack and carrying it around with you so that you can bullwhip the bag every now and again to teach it a lesson.
    Well what is the purpose of having your horse’s bones in a burlap sack then, if not that?

  7. Top | #4017
    My Brane Hertz spikepipsqueak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    3,227
    Archived
    8,811
    Total Posts
    12,038
    Rep Power
    50
    I am watching Hulk with the boys right now and it is neither a great nor a terrible movie, but I am constantly disconcerted by the American accent coming out of Eric Bana's mouth.
    My Brane Hertz

  8. Top | #4018
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    397
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,922
    Rep Power
    49
    Centurion. Second watch, I watched it almost 3 years ago before.

    I thought the movie was better this time than the first time, for some reason. This movie has generally received mediocre reviews. Yet perhaps because I'm really interested in the ancient world, I found the movie better than mediocre.

    The movie is, in short, about a few surviving Roman soldiers who were part of a legion that was ambushed and massacred by Picts (ancient people who lived in modern-day Scotland). They try to make it back to the Roman Empire, chased by Picts. The movie presents a grim view of human nature, and it's hard to see any "good faction", even though individual characters turn out to be good. But really, the Picts had the just cause, IMO. They defended their homeland from a conquering invader.

    Having said all of this, the movie felt a little un-polished. I liked it, but it could have been fantastic.

  9. Top | #4019
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    It's ok when racists constantly inject politics into discussions about science fiction and comic books by constantly whining about "political correctness" this and "social justice warrior" that, but gosh, how dare I anticipate their whining and criticize them for it? I've clearly crossed the line.
    I look at them with the same derision I look at you for your behavior. In fact, it's worse with you because technically you're on my side and you make us look like fools. You view everyone as a foe if they disagree with you for any reason, slighting them with the racist/sexist/homophobic brush regardless of the reality of who they are ... simply because they dared to disagree with you!

    You didn't even take a moment to learn anything about who I am or how I feel about anything before you called me a reich-wing snowflake arch-conservative only because I didn't like Black Panther. You just assumed, even through my explanations, that it was all down to I couldn't stand to see a black person with top billing.

    OT: Watched the live-action Ghost in the Shell. Or I should say, tried to watch. My wife and I both fell asleep within 20 minutes into the movie and after restarting it could barely keep our interest in it. It seems like there may be a good story in there, but it was just too damn atmospheric to hold my attention.

  10. Top | #4020
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,841
    Rep Power
    10
    I certainly didn't care for Black Panther. Standard superhero schlock, which I don't care for to begin with, and with a questionable implication that only a magical meteor strike could put an African nation on par with Europe's technology. And they would still be oppressive monarchies that make significant decisions with bloody duels to the death I guess. This is progress? I guess it is, but we could do better. Indeed, there's been some great African scifi in the last few years. Try Crumbs or Oya: Rise of the Orishas.

Similar Threads

  1. What Live Event Did You See (Rate it)?
    By Jimmy Higgins in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-01-2019, 11:50 PM
  2. Bernie Sanders on the current state of media today today
    By RVonse in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2018, 08:07 PM
  3. Paternity fraud rate: 2%
    By Loren Pechtel in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-09-2016, 08:04 AM
  4. Black Crime Rate
    By JonA in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-16-2015, 05:59 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •