Page 409 of 441 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410411419 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 4404

Thread: Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

1. Top | #4081
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post
    Rifftrax: Miami Connection

As I've said before, a good Rifftrax/MST3K episode contains a bad movie that's funny even without the commentary. This is one of those films. It's full of horribly choreographed karate/fighting, epically bad acting, 80s cheese, just enough coherence to be an actual movie, and the Rifftrax crew kills it. It falls a little shy of Samurai Cop, but such wretched perfection is hard to duplicate.

8/10
    UCF's biggest claim to fame. Saw that "live" and for some reason live is better. Very funny, because rock songs about being friends is so awesome.

2. Top | #4082
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Australia's attempt at creating a comedic movie. Muriel's Wedding. It stars Toni Collette as Muriel. Made way back in 1994 with a smashing ABBA soundtrack. If you haven't seen it, it's worth the 2 hours of your life it takes to watch it.

The plot is something about a young woman leaves small town to find romance in the big city.

8/10

3. Top | #4083
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bird Box ,9/10 Not a fan of horror movies, ghost, demons, gore. So this one falls more in the sci-fie, action genre. I like how the story unfolds with pretty good characters doing every thing sensible. Worth a watch.

4. Top | #4084
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDMAN View Post
    Bird Box ,9/10 Not a fan of horror movies, ghost, demons, gore. So this one falls more in the sci-fie, action genre. I like how the story unfolds with pretty good characters doing every thing sensible. Worth a watch.
    My money that the next gimmick horror is that only people in a three legged race can beat the monsters

5. Top | #4085
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I just saw the Last Jedi. It's just a remake of Empire strikes back and Return of the Jedi. But lamer. The force awakens was just a re-make of a New Hope. That was another disappointment.

It's like Star Wars is the new Star Trek. Every second film blows.

What makes it doubly annoying is that any sequel to the Return of the Jedi pretty much writes itself. Since RotJ set it up so perfectly. But nope.

But then again I'm an old person. It's not written for me

6. Top | #4086
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen.

Rare double feature at the cinema today. Both frivolous fun, but oddly the first one feels less serious. Tidy number of cameos from the League, and the end credit of the second movie hints at an interesting third movie - even if the League doesn't want it to be.

7. Top | #4087
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    I just saw the Last Jedi. It's just a remake of Empire strikes back and Return of the Jedi. But lamer. The force awakens was just a re-make of a New Hope. That was another disappointment.

What makes it doubly annoying is that any sequel to the Return of the Jedi pretty much writes itself. Since RotJ set it up so perfectly. But nope.

It's not because you're old, it's because they're terrible movies that are poorly written, with lame characters.

8. Top | #4088
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post

It's not because you're old, it's because they're terrible movies that are poorly written, with lame characters.
    I think (and I'm old, saw the originals in the theater, and had Star Wars bed sheets) that The Force Awakens and to a lesser extent Last Jedi were absolutely made to pander to older fans like myself. People who were disappointed by the prequels and wanted something that looked and felt like the originals. They got the look and feel right, but as you said the writing and character development was terrible.

IMO, the prequels were bad because there was nobody around who was able to tell George Lucas "that's a terrible idea...let's try something else," while the sequels were made by Disney's Patented Perfect Movie Committee, which makes a product as opposed to a work of art. The Phantom Menace etc. were made with the artist's (flawed) vision as the foundation, while these new movies were made with commerce as the driving - pardon the pun - force.

The Last Jedi actually made me look more fondly on the prequels.

9. Top | #4089
    I do not understand people who hate the new ones and like the (in my opinion patently unwatchable) prequel series.

10. Top | #4090
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    To me Star Wars is like the Terminator franchise, where you need to pick and choose what you like. I enjoy T1, T2 and the Sarah Connor Chronicles. For me Star Wars is the original Trilogy, anything written by Timothy Zahn, the Yuzhan Vong War and the Legacy of the Force series.

Pick what you like, discard the rest. You can do the same for Alien and Predator as well, but I suspect there is more of a concensus with those two franchises.