Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Programming Thread

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've dabbled in GLSL, C++, QT, and 8086 ASM, basically to do some math stuff.

One of the things I was going to work on was voxel based fractal morphing in Fragmentarium. Currently, the majority of the code is based on raytracing until we hit objects- I want to implement multiple resolution levels of voxel transforms, so that we can do "spray gun" type math transforms on the underlying structures. Grow fractal outgrowths and the like.

Ohh, so the voxel type stuff requires massive arrays, and I certainly can't do them on my GPU. Yeah, I could try to implement it on the cpu, but... speed considerations. When I move to a new GPU, I'll feel required to begin the project again (I mean, it will be awesome).

I really should write something small/demoscenish that isn't way to compute intensive for the CPU. It's not like the calculations have to be very deep... (many iterations).

Ohh, so basically I code some fractal stuff. Nothing complicated.

2. Top | #12
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharakov View Post

One of the things I was going to work on was voxel based fractal morphing in Fragmentarium. Currently, the majority of the code is based on raytracing until we hit objects- I want to implement multiple resolution levels of voxel transforms, so that we can do "spray gun" type math transforms on the underlying structures. Grow fractal outgrowths and the like.

Ohh, so the voxel type stuff requires massive arrays, and I certainly can't do them on my GPU. Yeah, I could try to implement it on the cpu, but... speed considerations. When I move to a new GPU, I'll feel required to begin the project again (I mean, it will be awesome).

I really should write something small/demoscenish that isn't way to compute intensive for the CPU. It's not like the calculations have to be very deep... (many iterations).

Sounds like the polar opposite of what I'm doing these days.

I went from building an industrial scale app for 3M Canada, to dealing with a really simple reporting language (Cerner CCL). It was a step backwards in terms of tech, but a step forwards in terms of salary, benefits, and employment status, so meh. I find it so simple that I like to call myself a typist, rather than a programmer, these days.

My employer is aware of this and they occasionally throw curve balls at me to keep things interesting, but mostly it's CCL.

3. Top | #13
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

I went from building an industrial scale app for 3M Canada, to dealing with a really simple reporting language (Cerner CCL). It was a step backwards in terms of tech, but a step forwards in terms of salary, benefits, and employment status, so meh. I find it so simple that I like to call myself a typist, rather than a programmer, these days.

My employer is aware of this and they occasionally throw curve balls at me to keep things interesting, but mostly it's CCL.
    Is that the Cerner that does clinical laboratory software? I've used and instructed others on its use.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've never programmed professionally, it was always in pursuit of some idea I had. I've been thinking of writing a infinite series division algorithm for WxMaxima for a couple of days now, but don't know how much use it would get. Not sure if there is one for mathematica already- should ask beero in the math thread.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been paid to work in MIIS, MUMPS, C, VB, Matlab, C++, Java, C#, Fortran, and Python.

6. Top | #16
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

Is that the Cerner that does clinical laboratory software? I've used and instructed others on its use.
    This Cerner, so probably. They're a big player in healthcare IT.

The org I'm in uses them as their main vendor. So far I'm not too impressed, pretty much every efficiency problem I have is due to their software design. Based on the research I've done they tend to hire new grads and give them way too much responsibility, hence bad software pretty much across the board.

7. Top | #17
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

This Cerner, so probably. They're a big player in healthcare IT.

The org I'm in uses them as their main vendor. So far I'm not too impressed, pretty much every efficiency problem I have is due to their software design. Based on the research I've done they tend to hire new grads and give them way too much responsibility, hence bad software pretty much across the board.
    Yup, that's the one. According to their site, the lab software was their first product.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

8. Top | #18
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Learned basic (which apparently is the worst thing to learn programming on) for the Color Computer 2 back in the 80s. Since then, programmed here and there (basic, qbasic, C++, Visual C++, VBA, etc...), mostly for my own enjoyment, school, or work. We use some of the stuff still at work, the VBA in Excel. Taught myself just about everything I know... so I know very little.

Qbasic - Used this mostly in college
    - made a whack-a-mole game with sprites, my only game of merit, if you'd even call it that
    - created a program that'd come up with the design for a gravity dam that'd use the least amount of concrete (2D cross section)
    - created a program for the design of spread footings that'd use the least quantity of steel

C++ - My real venture into real programming.
    - made a program that could design curves for highway design for school

Visual C++ - Wasted my time with this.
    - program for unifying soil classification for work

VBA - Learned this because our client had boring logs in Excel that had three text boxes on top of each other and it was a pain in the ass to use. So I taught myself VBA to vastly improve the log. Sadly, we don't work with them any more.
    - a whole bunch of tools for work, primarily Excel and gINT
    - I developed an awesome standardized processing system for putting a CAD sheet together... and then ODOT changed how they wanted it done the following year. I was crushed!

VBA & bastardization of VB and HTML
    - boring log software (gINT), my pride and joy built from scratch
    - sadly we'll likely be leaving this software as Bentley sucks at improving software, they just buy it and start making people pay annual subscriptions to use it

Python
    - dabbled a little to develop a script that would automatically take jpegs and split them up, but gave up.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I first learned programming in the '80s, and taught myself BASIC in Junior High. I wrote a program to roll up D&D characters for me, and a few very basic games like hangman. I was working on an ambitious text parsing game in the vein of Zork, when I started High School and discovered girls, parties, and parties with actual girls showing up at them. I forgot about programming pretty quickly. After graduating HS, then joining and leaving the military, and getting married, I rediscovered my love for computers, and went to college to learn programming.

I got an AS in Programming and Analysis in 1993, as well as A+ and Network+ certifications, which lead to doing computer repair and network setup for the next 10 years. I initially made enough money to open my own repair shop in 1998, but closed that down in 2002 as I was losing money and had to take a tech support job to make ends meet. So, I did tech support for a few years, before I got a job doing PHP development in 2005. I left that job a year later for a tech support job that paid a bit better than the PHP job, and was closer to home. That led to a Software QA job with the same firm less than a year later, and I started writing Perl scripts for QA automation. From there, I continued building my resume and honing my software automation skills.

In 2012, I was fortunate enough to be on a great software development team that was willing to help me become a Java Developer. I am currently a full stack Java developer, working with Java (of course), JavaScript, Bootstrap, AngularJS, ReactJS, and React Native. Given my background in automation, I tend to get shuffled around between teams at my current employer, landing for a few months wherever they are failing to get the project properly automated. It tends to keep things fresh, as I always make sure I am also learning whatever knew tech the team is working on before moving on.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am not a paid programmer but I successfully forgot FORTRAN. Use C++ for my home projects and a lost of shell sctipts.
    In the past I had to do python a little.
    I really don't understand this proliferation of languages.