Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Home Brewing Wine - small batch

  1. Top | #1
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    4,689
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    72

    Home Brewing Wine - small batch

    Two weeks ago I bottled my first small batch of wine. By all indications it was a great success and is aging in the cold of the cellar.

    Tart Cherry Juice, White Grape Juice, Sugar and Rhubarb from the garden constituted the second batch which is presently fermenting.

    I never realized how absolutely simple it is to make wine. It DOES NOT take chemicals and fancy equipment. As someone else opined, making wine does not take a chemist and a laboratory, just a babysitter.

    The only things I needed from the brew store were a hydrometer, a 2 gallon food grade bucket, an airlock and champagne yeast, the yeast because it consumes alcohol up to 18%, and I prefer dry wines. Beyond that you need the ingredients. In all, 15 dollars spent, and the 1 dollar yeast packet will make 5 batches.

    Any food grade container which seals well can be used to bottle the final product. I simply used the containers the juice came in, and some leftover bottles sitting around. No corks, corkers, no carboys or large fermenting containers, siphons or slew of chemicals and sanitizers recommended by most hobbyists and makers. If it had ever been that difficult we would not have been making fermented drinks until the 20th century.

    I took a sip of the first batch after it had aged for only a couple weeks and it is already tasting great. It needs a few months minimum from what I can gather but the more time the better.

    If you can put together a meal, you can put together a small batch of wine.

  2. Top | #2
    Mrs Frizzle gmbteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    At home, when I am not at work.
    Posts
    9,468
    Archived
    1,499
    Total Posts
    10,967
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by joedad View Post
    Two weeks ago I bottled my first small batch of wine. By all indications it was a great success and is aging in the cold of the cellar.

    Tart Cherry Juice, White Grape Juice, Sugar and Rhubarb from the garden constituted the second batch which is presently fermenting.

    I never realized how absolutely simple it is to make wine. It DOES NOT take chemicals and fancy equipment. As someone else opined, making wine does not take a chemist and a laboratory, just a babysitter.

    The only things I needed from the brew store were a hydrometer, a 2 gallon food grade bucket, an airlock and champagne yeast, the yeast because it consumes alcohol up to 18%, and I prefer dry wines. Beyond that you need the ingredients. In all, 15 dollars spent, and the 1 dollar yeast packet will make 5 batches.

    Any food grade container which seals well can be used to bottle the final product. I simply used the containers the juice came in, and some leftover bottles sitting around. No corks, corkers, no carboys or large fermenting containers, siphons or slew of chemicals and sanitizers recommended by most hobbyists and makers. If it had ever been that difficult we would not have been making fermented drinks until the 20th century.

    I took a sip of the first batch after it had aged for only a couple weeks and it is already tasting great. It needs a few months minimum from what I can gather but the more time the better.

    If you can put together a meal, you can put together a small batch of wine.
    Cool. I would try it, but I Don’t think Bilby would let me use his fermenters.

  3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,651
    Archived
    3,383
    Total Posts
    7,034
    Rep Power
    56
    Point of order... all equipment mentioned above can be used for brewing beer... so why wouldn't you want to brew some beer that takes less than a month from start to finish to make total greatness, rather than some stinky old wine that takes a generation to make anything less than greatness?

  4. Top | #4
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    4,689
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Malintent View Post
    Point of order... all equipment mentioned above can be used for brewing beer... so why wouldn't you want to brew some beer that takes less than a month from start to finish to make total greatness, rather than some stinky old wine that takes a generation to make anything less than greatness?
    I'm a fan of greatness, don't get me wrong!

    Unfortunately for me beer tends to make me feel unwell, whereas wine and hard spirits are presently hitting the spot, without any side effects worth mentioning.

    And after a month a home made wine can taste quite good. My first try is great after just two weeks in the bottle.

    Mother Earth News has an extended article on making wine at home. Yikes! The equipment list and logistics is enough to intimidate. Clearly they don't get the small batch thing.

    But that is what makes hobbies great. One person't toil is another person's joy.

  5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,651
    Archived
    3,383
    Total Posts
    7,034
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by joedad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malintent View Post
    Point of order... all equipment mentioned above can be used for brewing beer... so why wouldn't you want to brew some beer that takes less than a month from start to finish to make total greatness, rather than some stinky old wine that takes a generation to make anything less than greatness?
    I'm a fan of greatness, don't get me wrong!

    Unfortunately for me beer tends to make me feel unwell, whereas wine and hard spirits are presently hitting the spot, without any side effects worth mentioning.

    And after a month a home made wine can taste quite good. My first try is great after just two weeks in the bottle.

    Mother Earth News has an extended article on making wine at home. Yikes! The equipment list and logistics is enough to intimidate. Clearly they don't get the small batch thing.

    But that is what makes hobbies great. One person't toil is another person's joy.
    yup!

    one day, this will all be mine! http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

  6. Top | #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    21
    Archived
    962
    Total Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    53
    Wow! 10 gallons of wine for $15! Where I live the gov't taxes alcohol pretty heavily.
    A cheap blend of dry white wine costs $17 for a 1.5 liter bottle. 10 gallons of that would be close to $500.
    I hope your batch turns out alright. I might give it a try.

  7. Top | #7
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    4,689
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    72
    Today I did the final racking (bottling) of my first two batches. I will know how well they turned out in about 6 months when I taste them in the Adirondack Room, near the trees and plants from which they came.

    A few bottles will make their way to friends and family. And the rest will wait another year to see if time makes them more enjoyable, which it most certainly should. There were small amounts of each left over after racking today and I thought the taste was just fine.

    The third batch is still fermenting and has a way to go on account of the cold weather, but all is well. It is 36 degrees F in the cellar right now. Not sure how good that much chill is for wine after racking but that's what it is.

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,651
    Archived
    3,383
    Total Posts
    7,034
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by joedad View Post
    The third batch is still fermenting and has a way to go on account of the cold weather, but all is well. It is 36 degrees F in the cellar right now. Not sure how good that much chill is for wine after racking but that's what it is.
    It is not likely that much yeast is still awake in that temperature. I am not that familiar with wine yeast.. I know all about Ales and Lagers.. but it is a very rare yeast that can stand such low temperature and still attenuate at all... even slowly.

    One thing is for sure, though, you will definitely have complete flocculation and a beautifully clear final product... but maybe a little too sweet, due to that low temp stopping the final fermentation.

  9. Top | #9
    Quantum Hot Dog Kharakov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    OCCaUSA
    Posts
    4,343
    Archived
    3,383
    Total Posts
    7,726
    Rep Power
    74
    Word of warning.

    A couple years back my dad decided to build a still- he had written a book on ethanol production years ago, for corny people (even included ways of breaking down cellulose in leaves/stalks with fungi or fungal enzymes, so that energy was usable as well, but it required secondary fermenters.. or primary, since you'd do it first..). Anyways.

    He made a still. My uncle had made a rather large batch of wine, and given cases of it away to the family. My dad decided it would be a good idea to test his still with the wine during a family get together.

    He's never drank a lot of the stuff. I did. Ketones, aromatics... fricken long chain things you don't want in your head or liver. That's why they do charred oak aging. Absolutely worse hangover in my life. Lasted over a day, and I wasn't as drunk as I've been in the past.

    Needless to say, if you decide to distill, do some form of aging that minimizes the other organics.

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member Sarpedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    MN, US
    Posts
    2,796
    Archived
    8,446
    Total Posts
    11,242
    Rep Power
    65
    plus its illegal. wine and beer isn't.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2015, 02:18 AM
  2. Replies: 275
    Last Post: 10-26-2015, 07:42 PM
  3. Chimps discovered drinking wine in the wild
    By Potoooooooo in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 06:40 AM
  4. China Is Turning Tiger Bones Into Wine
    By Potoooooooo in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •