Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Looking for manipulative hobbies as being shuttered in closes upon us

1. Top | #41
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malintent View Post
    LEGOS! I almost forgot the Legos! I am too old to be playing with Legos... That what my wife said. She's wrong.

I am fascinated with the Lego Mindstorm EV3. I want to make this:

(View video on YouTube)
    I'd love to look into that sort of thing, but the EV3's price, even used, is always just a bit rich for my tastes.
    I would love a lego mindstorm kit! I played with them as a science/technology teacher years ago!

2. Top | #42
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I agree, Legos are super overpriced in general. Considering you are getting a couple of servos with stepping motors, an assortment of sensors, and a programmable "brain"... the price is not too bad.. for Lego.

one could buy an Arduino and all of the robotic components for about half that price... but it wont just "snap together" in limitless forms.

3. Top | #43
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's actually almost absurd of me to complain too much about the price, given the Lego sets I already own (a freaking Helicarrier!?), but yeah, when I consider it versus just implementing things with a simpler board (I was considering something like a Teensy would be enough for many simpler programs), and I'm sure others have though of, and likely done, the same.

Might be something to look for on Youtube at some point. the only show I regularly watch that does anything similar is Ben Heck, and I don't think he does Lego at all, but I'm sure there are others out there. And while a simple "Ultimate Machine" is easy enough, one that can retract it's switch, dodge an incoming hand, and so on is a bit more complex than that.

(Although, being an engineer, my brain *immediately* began thinking of how I could use parts around my house to do this, what else I'd need, and so on. a few sensors, a toggle, a few motors? Sounds kinda simple in practice.)

4. Top | #44
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    I like to kidnap Republican legislators, tie them up, and molest them by jamming Star Wars figurines in their rectums.

Does this count as a hobby?

More importantly, what I am doing is legal, isn't it? I probably should have checked first before starting, but you know how it is when you get excited about a new project…
    Time passes and the plague moves west. Oregon democrats fashioned a cap and trade bill after California. Republicans in the house where they have enough seats to stop the bill if they don't vote skedaddled. Looking high and low, now getting ready to fine them $500 a day for shirking responsibility. Still no Republican House members anywhere. I think democrats tried something like this in Wisconsin with bad result a few years back.

Our local rep, a republican naturally, tried to spread some pretty tall fibs in an OP ED in a local paper. Tried to say we don't need to do this because oregon doesn't pollute. Of course he cited a stat showing Oregon produces only 0.0014% of world pollution.

How dumb does he think we are. Apparently many down here ate it up until I noted that Oregon has about 0.0005 percent of world population living on 0.0005 percent of land in world making Oregon responsible for three times it's share of pollution in the world.

Eyup. Safe to say republicans here aren't any smarter than Trump.

In conclusion it is a hobby here in oregon hunting down hiding representatives. Maybe they aren't hiding in an adjacent state - average income suggests they can't afford it - but they sure are trying to build a dung pile where Big lumber, yes lumber, runs amok clear cutting forests increasing fire and flood dangers and selling it to our Chinese friends.

Meanwhile I'm spending many hours whittling with my small hand tools a 3"x3"x8" vertical grained hardwood block into a standing river otter. As a result of little progress other than wearing out my thumb recently I went out and bought a larger tool and a mallet. Things are progressing faster now.
    Last edited by fromderinside; 06-24-2019 at 01:00 AM.

5. Top | #45
    Archived
    Total Posts
    update. Added hasps to tool kit.