Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Looking for manipulative hobbies as being shuttered in closes upon us

  1. Top | #1
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    11,401
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    29,614
    Rep Power
    54

    Looking for manipulative hobbies as being shuttered in closes upon us

    As a child I had several hobbies. Models of all sorts, woodwork and woodcraft, metal work, graphic arts of all sorts, sports mainly of the running and throwing kind, even collecting like stamps, coins, artifacts, and of course my adult favorites driving and listening to the radio and yard sales.

    Now as driving becomes ever more hazardous the latter two and the physical ones become less appealing, even scary.

    I'm still interested, I think, in modelling, hand woodcraft and art. Tried watercolor just before my youngest was murdered. Gave it up when that depressed.

    I think I'm back.

    So if you can thing of something outside cloth and yarn work that sounds interesting I'd appreciate we discuss them. I'm a pretty good learner and I'm not always a naybob. So here's a chance for me to tool up on positive discussions and searches for practical tasks with material outcomes.

    So thanks to super cheese Ziprhead I have a place to ask and try.

    First, what about woodworking like with wooden birds both just the carved using wood as the art and using fine grained wood and paint. I've collected a few of them by NW and Japanese artists and some of my friends have joined woodcarving groups. Before I begin, though I think I need a bit of backgroupd and method so I can evaluate the task against my physical and mental skills.

    Any suggestions? Pretend I'm a complete novice.

  2. Top | #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    699
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    As a child I had several hobbies. Models of all sorts, woodwork and woodcraft, metal work, graphic arts of all sorts, sports mainly of the running and throwing kind, even collecting like stamps, coins, artifacts, and of course my adult favorites driving and listening to the radio and yard sales.

    Now as driving becomes ever more hazardous the latter two and the physical ones become less appealing, even scary.

    I'm still interested, I think, in modelling, hand woodcraft and art. Tried watercolor just before my youngest was murdered. Gave it up when that depressed.

    I think I'm back.

    So if you can thing of something outside cloth and yarn work that sounds interesting I'd appreciate we discuss them. I'm a pretty good learner and I'm not always a naybob. So here's a chance for me to tool up on positive discussions and searches for practical tasks with material outcomes.

    So thanks to super cheese Ziprhead I have a place to ask and try.

    First, what about woodworking like with wooden birds both just the carved using wood as the art and using fine grained wood and paint. I've collected a few of them by NW and Japanese artists and some of my friends have joined woodcarving groups. Before I begin, though I think I need a bit of backgroupd and method so I can evaluate the task against my physical and mental skills.

    Any suggestions? Pretend I'm a complete novice.
    Do you have any interests related to music? As a kid I played the flute and endeavored to teach myself the piano. I used to use it not just to pass the time or for the escapism but also to try and form my own instrumental pieces after a while.

    Its the only hobby I want to get back to considering how self isolated and physically damaged my current conditions leave me. Also horse back riding, which while considered a rugged dangerous sport has never been anything less than enjoyable.

    And then I write as well. I fancied making a living from it once upon a time but since that failure I still write, poetry, short stories and novels. I just don't make the mistake of sharing them with anyone ever again so it stays safe and keeps me safe and healthy too.

    The only woodwork I've ever done was in shop class. I needed more tools than I've ever been able to procure on my own an only concentrated on making utility type objects with my own beveled detail work either with a burning tool or just a small gauged type lathing tool. (I forget their individual names).

    For me it was harder to focus on the wood grain and tools in a way to create something rather than mess up and damage the piece, which was far easier to do than with other art-forms. You can paint over or erase work done on sketch pad or canvas far more often than with wood cutting/caring/burning tools. But that's me and my issues maintaining steady pressure when needed or exerting more force than I could manage, more because my muscle and nerve strength were not there yet and now I wouldn't try since my muscle and nerve issues would men relying on extra tool lie arm braces I cannot make and so will never get ahold of.

    But if you've the skill and strength for it I could suggest looking for tutorials online, and maybe sitting in on one of the groups your friend joined when they discuss method and tools.

  3. Top | #3
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    9,224
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    23,659
    Rep Power
    59
    The Lego Star Destroyer was amazing fun to construct.

    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  4. Top | #4
    Mrs Frizzle gmbteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    At home, when I am not at work.
    Posts
    9,835
    Archived
    1,499
    Total Posts
    11,334
    Rep Power
    39
    What about buildings for model trains? I have a house here.

    Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.

  5. Top | #5
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    9,224
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    23,659
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    What about buildings for model trains? I have a house here.

    Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.
    I've been thinking that making dollhouse furniture might be a fun hobby. There's so many different arts that can be used in the process. Tiny beaded lampshades, tiny lace thread afghans, tiny toothpick picture frames, tiny painted popsicle stick tables...

    Not a hobby I can start any time soon, but eventually.
    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  6. Top | #6
    Mrs Frizzle gmbteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    At home, when I am not at work.
    Posts
    9,835
    Archived
    1,499
    Total Posts
    11,334
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    What about buildings for model trains? I have a house here.

    Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.
    I've been thinking that making dollhouse furniture might be a fun hobby. There's so many different arts that can be used in the process. Tiny beaded lampshades, tiny lace thread afghans, tiny toothpick picture frames, tiny painted popsicle stick tables...

    Not a hobby I can start any time soon, but eventually.
    Oh, that sounds fun! I think making the doll house alone would be amazing! Then to decorate each room!

  7. Top | #7
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    9,224
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    23,659
    Rep Power
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    What about buildings for model trains? I have a house here.

    Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.
    I've been thinking that making dollhouse furniture might be a fun hobby. There's so many different arts that can be used in the process. Tiny beaded lampshades, tiny lace thread afghans, tiny toothpick picture frames, tiny painted popsicle stick tables...

    Not a hobby I can start any time soon, but eventually.
    Oh, that sounds fun! I think making the doll house alone would be amazing! Then to decorate each room!
    All the fun of buying and decorating a real house but much cheaper!
    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    74
    I like to kidnap Republican legislators, tie them up, and molest them by jamming Star Wars figurines in their rectums.

    Does this count as a hobby?

    More importantly, what I am doing is legal, isn't it? I probably should have checked first before starting, but you know how it is when you get excited about a new project…

  9. Top | #9
    Mrs Frizzle gmbteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    At home, when I am not at work.
    Posts
    9,835
    Archived
    1,499
    Total Posts
    11,334
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post

    Oh, that sounds fun! I think making the doll house alone would be amazing! Then to decorate each room!
    All the fun of buying and decorating a real house but much cheaper!
    Exactly. And you get to try things out to see how they look!

  10. Top | #10
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    11,401
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    29,614
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDynasty View Post

    Do you have any interests related to music?
    Thanks for mentioning music. I actually have tried to learn fiddling and keyboarding. Bride and I took two classes in fiddle for beginners here in speederfundus from a ms Castle. She is quite good. My daughter her husband and Nico our grandson are the only ones who've spent time on them though. The adults are well trained and Nico whats to be like mommy and daddy. So I have some basic tools and music for that as well as kids willing to tolerate dad trying. I've tried using music writing programs and had studied some very basic music theory. Making new music is fun but from what I write it sounds pretty bad. Maybe I'll try again.

    As you know technical skill and precision are required for satisfying output from traditional instruments. So If I can still discipline myself music might join projects I consider and try.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2018, 01:31 PM
  2. Last major TV factory in US closes down thanks to tariffs.
    By Underseer in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-14-2018, 06:39 PM
  3. As Mueller closes in, Trump goes to Putin for instructions
    By Underseer in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-17-2018, 03:50 AM
  4. Landrieu Closes Gap - Cassidy Only Leads by 24 percent!
    By maxparrish in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •