Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for manipulative hobbies as being shuttered in closes upon us

1. Top | #21
    Standing in my living room, yelling at the television.
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malintent View Post
    Lock Picking - huge fun... It's basically solving a mechanical puzzle. There is competitive lock picking in the UK - called Locksport. In the US, lock pick tools are not illegal (as long as you are not caught committing a crime with them), they are very cheap ($25 for a basic set), and you can find locks to pick everywhere... (start with Master padlocks - once you can get a Master open in less than 10 seconds, move on to real locks - Brinks, anything made in Germany...) a lifetime to master the best locks.. plenty of youtube how-to videos.
    Only downside is that once you realize how easy it is to pick an average lock, you are going to end up buying new locks for your doors... and not from Homedepot or Lowes either.

A friend of mine challenged me to get into his locked shed. I told him to time me. Before he got his phone out of his pocket, I was in. The look on his face was priceless.
    How difficult are cars?
    Safes. That's where the money is.
    Is it stuffy in here, or is it just me?

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    What about buildings for model trains? I have a house here.

Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.
    Gaynor,

Techie Alert! I have every item made by Hornby Dublo in the 1950s. All metal, tinplate and in the original boxes. Put it on a large layout and listened to the heavy engines rattling around on the tin rails. All the buildings, Dinky buses and little lead people.

Put away now; dry stored.

http://www.advertisingarchives.co.uk...by-Dublo/1950s

A.

3. Top | #23
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philos View Post

Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.
    Gaynor,

Techie Alert! I have every item made by Hornby Dublo in the 1950s. All metal, tinplate and in the original boxes. Put it on a large layout and listened to the heavy engines rattling around on the tin rails. All the buildings, Dinky buses and little lead people.

A.
    You mean NERD alert.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philos View Post

Gaynor,

A.
    Alex,

I am so jealous! We have the room for it, but nothing to out in it!

Gaynor.

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    I like to kidnap Republican legislators, tie them up, and molest them by jamming Star Wars figurines in their rectums.

Does this count as a hobby?
    Who cares whether it's legal. Think of it as a virtual hobby. You build a model of your target repbulicasshole and jam the figurines up it's clay arse part. Then you show them of Instagram or Facebook or even Twitter. You don't need to do the electronic stuff actually. I'm thinking the virtual operation would be curative enough.
    Model.

Uh, sure.

I'm definitely using models. And if I'm not, they were asking for it by dressing provocatively.

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Lock Picking - huge fun... It's basically solving a mechanical puzzle. There is competitive lock picking in the UK - called Locksport. In the US, lock pick tools are not illegal (as long as you are not caught committing a crime with them), they are very cheap ($25 for a basic set), and you can find locks to pick everywhere... (start with Master padlocks - once you can get a Master open in less than 10 seconds, move on to real locks - Brinks, anything made in Germany...) a lifetime to master the best locks.. plenty of youtube how-to videos.
    Only downside is that once you realize how easy it is to pick an average lock, you are going to end up buying new locks for your doors... and not from Homedepot or Lowes either.

A friend of mine challenged me to get into his locked shed. I told him to time me. Before he got his phone out of his pocket, I was in. The look on his face was priceless.
    I am not telling you my address.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts

So he brought his shed over to your place so you could demonstrate?

If not, why did he file a police report the next morning?

I'll bet he was more surprised by the gun in your hand than by your skill in picking locks.

Inviting more appropriate responses to Malintent

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

I'll bet he was more surprised by the gun in your hand than by your skill in picking locks.

I happen to know where my friend lives... I do go over there from time to time to visit, even though my place is generally a better hangout.

What is so much fun is introducing others to the sport / hobby.... My parents were visiting some time ago when I had just got into it and I showed my stepmother how to do it... she popped her first lock in like 15 minutes... the surprise and satisfaction on her face was priceless... granted, it was a "trainer" lock...

Trainer locks are cool... they are normal padlocks with a key, except the body of the lock is made of clear plastic. That way, you can see all the pins and the cylinder while you pick at them to see what you are doing and learn the right feel for it. Also a great way just to teach how a lock works...you can see all the inner workings as the lock is operated.

9. Top | #29

I happen to know where my friend lives... I do go over there from time to time to visit, even though my place is generally a better hangout.

What is so much fun is introducing others to the sport / hobby.... My parents were visiting some time ago when I had just got into it and I showed my stepmother how to do it... she popped her first lock in like 15 minutes... the surprise and satisfaction on her face was priceless... granted, it was a "trainer" lock...

Trainer locks are cool... they are normal padlocks with a key, except the body of the lock is made of clear plastic. That way, you can see all the pins and the cylinder while you pick at them to see what you are doing and learn the right feel for it. Also a great way just to teach how a lock works...you can see all the inner workings as the lock is operated.
    Can you do a car starter without damaging it? I lost my car keys and really don't feel like paying more than the car's worth or having to take anything apart to get keys to work so I'm curious.

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I never tried an ignition lock... I would imagine it is like any other pin tumbler (the door locks are usually discus or wafer locks - similar in principle). Picking is non-destructive, so anything is worth a try. My wife had a car decades ago that started with a screwdriver... like, she needed to use a screwdriver to start it.