Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dregs at the bottom of the barrel - What to avoid

1. Top | #1
    Banned

Dregs at the bottom of the barrel - What to avoid

So.

We have a thread on whiskies and fine spirits which has, on occasion, veered into slams on what posters think is worth avoiding.

I have three candidates which jump immediately to mind:

Mogan David 20/20.

Bohemian Beer.

Southern Comfort.

Most folks are familiar with MD 20/20, as it was known on the streets in the local Skid Row as 'Mad Dog'. It and all the 'fortified wines' are fecal matter.

I suspect nobody outside my regional area will have ever heard of Bohemian beer. It was the 'discount brand' before generic beer came along. It was basically the literal bottom of the vat dregs of whatever local brewer had swill it wouldn't sell under its own name. "When the dough is low, go with Bo."

Southern Comfort. This is what adolescents think is real hooch. Between it and Sloe Gin, I think I've seen more projectile vomiting result from imbibing. And, talk about 'cloying and sweet'? Southern Comfort has a lock on that.

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In reference to this post of mine.

I dunno if I'd qualify cheap alcohol as something to avoid, it just serves a different purpose than higher-end stuff: drunkenness

You can tell a lot about somebody's drinking habits by the type of booze they buy. In Canada the heavy drinkers will buy beer by the case and easily knock 4+ of them back in a night, sometimes for multiple nights in a week. If I bought some of the beers I drink by the case they would run about 250% of the price of a case of domestic. Difference is I only drink 1-2 a week.

But if you're looking for what to avoid when looking for actual enjoyable alcohol, a good rule of thumb is to avoid anything that a poor, alcoholic would drink . Or in other words, anything that's 'discount'.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    I think most beers put out by Anheuser are pretty awful. Natural Light and Ice are terrible. Ice is very potent though. But even Budweiser is one to be avoided, not because it doesn't taste good but because of the crushing hangover if you drink too many of them. I've heard many people say they get an awful hangover from Budweiser beer. I like Sam Adams Boston Lager but the also put out seasonal beers. Someone with the nicest of intentions gave me a 12 pack of mixed seasonal beers from Sam Adams. I didn't like any of them but Old Fezziwig was brutal. So bad that I *gasp* poured an open bottle down the sink. The rest I gave away and reports are that it was not a good beer.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Folks,

I once poured a whole bottle of Gentleman Jack down the sink. Looking back, I might have given it another chance.

A.

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When I was a teenager the popular brand was 'Lakeport'. 24 beers for 24 dollars was the tagline, and on a good night I could drink between 6-10 of them and wake up fresh the next day. Nowadays I'd struggle to choke even one of them down.

6. Top | #6
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When I was young and stupid, my goto was a bottle of Boones Farm Kountry Kwencher and a pint of peppermint schnapps. That and a nicely rolled joint and I was good for the night.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I remember giant bottles of Meisterbrau from my youthful discount beer drinking days.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I always enjoy checking out the bottom of the list at Beer Advocate from time to time.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    When I was young and stupid, my goto was a bottle of Boones Farm Kountry Kwencher and a pint of peppermint schnapps. That and a nicely rolled joint and I was good for the night.
    Back in my teenage years, MD 20/20 was the go to for a cheap drunk. If we had the girls along with us, we would usually grab a bottle or two of Boone's Farm, Strawberry Hill being the favorite for my group. The difference between Mad Dog and Boone's Farm is that Mad Dog tastes like crap, but gets you drunk quick, whereas it's hard to get drunk off of Boonies, but it tastes like kool-aid.

When it comes to liquor, Dewers tops my list of "get that crap away from me" bottles. Also, any liquor that has Imperial on the label. I was once at a fairly upscale restaurant, and asked what their top shelf scotch was, when the server answered with "Imperial, I think", I nearly got up and left. That would have been a bit awkward, since I had already wolfed down the prime rib, and was just looking for an after dinner libation. I think I ended up ordering an Irish coffee, without asking about the quality of the Irish that would be included.

10. Top | #10
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    I always enjoy checking out the bottom of the list at Beer Advocate from time to time.
    Um...A list from 1 to 100. Which is the bottom?