Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Genealogy

It's one of my hobbies. Perhaps, we could use this thread to see if anyone else has the hobby or anyone has problems/roadblocks.

2. Top | #2
    Banned
    Nah fuck it. Last time I looked at my family tree, I found out I was the sap!

3. Top | #3
    I joined talkfreethought recently, planning to observe a little before making a big splash with some outrageous controversy! But I may as well get my feet wet by mentioning that I'm also a genealogy hobbyist.

I could babble for hours about this hobby, but for now I'll just say that ... it got rather out of hand. ::gak:: Charlemagne appears in my fully expanded pedigree 70,945,747 times (but only 10,121 times when all but "most probable" lines are excluded).

4. Top | #4
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Welcome, Swammerdami.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    It's one of my hobbies. Perhaps, we could use this thread to see if anyone else has the hobby or anyone has problems/roadblocks.
    And he's amazing at it too. Don - I sent in the test...looking forward to seeing what comes back.

My hobby is Doctor Who. I love collecting memorabilia, travelling to conventions to meet actors and of course watching and listening (through Big Finish). I enjoy other pop culture but Doctor Who is my favorite.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    I joined talkfreethought recently, planning to observe a little before making a big splash with some outrageous controversy! But I may as well get my feet wet by mentioning that I'm also a genealogy hobbyist.

I could babble for hours about this hobby, but for now I'll just say that ... it got rather out of hand. ::gak:: Charlemagne appears in my fully expanded pedigree 70,945,747 times (but only 10,121 times when all but "most probable" lines are excluded).
    Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear of another hobbyist.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Playball40 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    And he's amazing at it too.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Playball40
    Don - I sent in the test...looking forward to seeing what comes back.
    Congrats. That will be cool for you to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Playball40
    My hobby is Doctor Who. I love collecting memorabilia, travelling to conventions to meet actors and of course watching and listening (through Big Finish). I enjoy other pop culture but Doctor Who is my favorite.
    That is cool, too. I used to watch the ones with Tom Baker on public television when I was a kid. I've only watched the newer ones a few times, but they look fun.

8. Top | #8

Was Bygod Eggleston of Settrington related to Francis Bygod of Settrington?

My own pedigree quest got off to a lucky start: when I was a child some great-great-aunts and a great-great-uncle sent me old family records. I got interested again decades later, in retirement. My lines go back to early American immigrants (though apparently none were "Mayflowers"), but there the trail mostly runs cold. Internet genealogies often provide leads — the parentage of early American immigrants and whole pedigrees for them — but about 95% of these turn out to be wrong. (100+ years ago genealogy was a fad and many fake pedigrees were sold to American social-climbers.)

One of the more interesting fake(?) pedigrees I've come across is that of the American colonist Bygod Eggleston — he is supposed to be ancestral to millions of Americans. Can anyone come up with any other human ever with 'Bygod' as a forename? If he really is the ONLY person ever with that name, there should be an interesting story behind it, right?

There is an English noble Bygod family (also spelled Bigott, Bigot, Bygot, Bigod) which traces their ancestry all the way to Vikings who followed the Norman conquerors to England and were rewarded with large land grants. The line seems to have gone extinct when Sir Francis Bigod was hanged for treason after Bigod's_rebellion. (Francis had a son but that son died childless.)

Fifty years after Sir Francis' hanging, Bygod Eggleston was born in Settrington, Yorkshire — the very seat of that last cadet branch of the Bigods. Coincidence? Surely not — unless his name was some ejaculation, 'By God!', unrelated to the Bigod family. But was he just christened after the martyred Francis Bigod, or was there a blood relationship? The Egglestons were Puritans who hated Romanists, while Bigod was a Catholic in revolt against Protestantism. (At least Bigod Eggleston's children were Puritans — I don't know about the parents who christened him.)

On the Internet you can find pedigrees showing Eggleston to be the grandson or gt-grandson of Francis' daughter Dorothy. But there's no documentation and the lineages seem to contradict known facts. (Or was there a barely-remembered love-child scandal with the lovers dead, and therefore no offense taken, by the time Bygod was christened?)

One of many MANY little genealogical mysteries that come up.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have only rudimentary knowledge of my family tree. A name change, holocaust, and repeated emigrations will do that.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I trace mine back to a really bad decision.