Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artists and crafters shoud not be asked to do favors without geting paid...

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malintent View Post
    It's worse for IT folk... Everyone wants you to fix something or explain something on their computer... but god forbid you ask a plumber to add a bathroom to your house while he is visiting on Thanksgiving....
    My father in law is terrible for that. He seems to think that because I work in IT, I will want nothing more than to spend my weekends doing for him for free, what I am paid a lot of money to do during the week.

And because I work in IT, only my services will do - his wife, daughter and two sons can all tell him "just restart the computer and see if that fixes it"; but no, he has to wait a week for me to be there, and have me restart his computer, because I am the computer expert.

I finally told him that I won't even look at it until gmbteach has tried (and failed) to fix it first - and so far, she's never failed (99.99% of the problems are PEBKAC).
    And now he takes delight in informing us when he has fixed a problem by himself by rebooting!

2. Top | #12
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    It's worse for IT folk... Everyone wants you to fix something or explain something on their computer...
    I tend to bring that on myself because I like helping people.
    You are no help by doing... you must educate them to help themselves.
    I do that. Helping and teaching people how to help themselves are complementary; I myself learn a lot when others explain solutions to problems--that's pretty much how I gained a lot of my user and programming knowledge.

3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    It's worse for IT folk... Everyone wants you to fix something or explain something on their computer... but god forbid you ask a plumber to add a bathroom to your house while he is visiting on Thanksgiving....
    My father in law is terrible for that. He seems to think that because I work in IT, I will want nothing more than to spend my weekends doing for him for free, what I am paid a lot of money to do during the week.

And because I work in IT, only my services will do - his wife, daughter and two sons can all tell him "just restart the computer and see if that fixes it"; but no, he has to wait a week for me to be there, and have me restart his computer, because I am the computer expert.

I finally told him that I won't even look at it until gmbteach has tried (and failed) to fix it first - and so far, she's never failed (99.99% of the problems are PEBKAC).
    I'm the IT support guy for my father/mother in law, my parents, my fiancee, and one of my sisters-in-law.

At least my father-in-law occasionally fixes stuff for me too.

4. Top | #14
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I got my father a computer many years ago, Windows 3.1 days. Boy, was that a mistake.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

5. Top | #15
    Standing in my living room, yelling at the television.
    Archived
    Total Posts

This actually works. But then you risk this.

Is it stuffy in here, or is it just me?