Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What video game are you playing?

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Anyone playing any VR games? People are talking about Fallout 4 here... there is a VR version of Fallout 4... anyone with any experience want to talk about it?

For VR, I have been coding my own games / experiences using Unreal Engine. Easier than it sounds if you have programming experience.

Arizona Sunshine may be my favorite commercial VR game right now.

One of "The Lab" mini games is very cool and my go-to for introducing people to VR. Think Asteroids, in 3D, where the controller in your hand is the ship, and the play area is the space all around you.

2. Top | #12
    Might be a replicant Emily Lake's Avatar
    Northern Hemisphere, Bordering the Pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell View Post
    Assuming Todd Howard & Pete Hines are telling the truth to us about 2 major games before TES 6 I wouldn't expect TES 6 before 2024 give or take.
    Hmm. When was the "2 games first" bit from? My very cursory search seems to put that around March or so of 2017 (Link, but probably not the only reference). Since then they've already released Prey, although I don't know if that's one of the "big releases" they were talking about. They also released a couple of others since then, but I don't really know if Evil Within and Wolfenstein are particularly big endeavors for them. I suspect the newest Dishonored release is really more akin to a DLC, even though it was sold as a completely separate game - it's similar in size to Knife of Dunwall or Witches of Brigmore.

I'd be really happy if they come out with another open-world RPG-style game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls. The outer space market is pretty wide open for that, given Mass Effect: Andromeda's spectacular failure-to-deliver and No Man's Sky's slow, plodding, story-less nature. I could totally get behind an "aliens and spaceships" version of Elder Scrolls. Oooh - Westworld would be a fantastic basis for a game - westerns with good guys and bad guys and robots! Red Dead Redemption sounded like it would hit the same sweet spot as TES/FO, but it missed the mark. Mostly just a really fidgety engine and severely slow story.

I've been a fan of Bioware for a while - Dragon Age and Mass Effect were both fantastic stories with engaging characters... but they shit the bed so bad with Andromeda that I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda made a plan to usurp the Mass Effect fan-base.

But this is all speculation, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

3. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    This seems to be the thread to ask: does anyone else suffer from absurdly long load times in Fallout 4? Any time I load a game and it is outside in Boston, I can literally leave the room and make myself a cup of coffee whilst waiting. One of the reasons I still prefer New Vegas.
    Yes.

Same was true for Skyrim though, as well. There's amod for Fallout called "Insignificant Object Remover" that seems to help - it gets rid of a lot of the clutter that takes rendering time, but doesn't really contribute much. This is way outside of my sphere of knowledge, but I *think* it does something like making the clutter (gravel, grass, broken stuff, etc.) hollow or something so it takes less "space" in processing. But even with that... loads are still slow. I almost never fast-travel for that reason.

I thin it has something to do with the game engine itself, because FO NV and Oblivion both had significantly faster load times and fast travel times. I swear, sometimes it seems like it's faster to walk while overburdened than to fast travel in Skyrim.

4. Top | #14
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Lake View Post

I've been a fan of Bioware for a while - Dragon Age and Mass Effect were both fantastic stories with engaging characters... but they shit the bed so bad with Andromeda that I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda made a plan to usurp the Mass Effect fan-base.
    Oh ya, Andromeda was horrid. I tried SO hard to like it and to get into it, but I just couldn't make myself do it. Poorly designed in pretty much every aspect of gameplay.

5. Top | #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

Oh ya, Andromeda was horrid. I tried SO hard to like it and to get into it, but I just couldn't make myself do it. Poorly designed in pretty much every aspect of gameplay.
    It was pretty. That was about it.

It was a real let down, especially because the story was so... blah. The botox faces I could get around... it was the fact that it had no heart. All the other ME games had such a strong and compelling story to them that all the rest didn't matter. Driving around on really boring planets trying to find artifacts, "mining" planets for ore... that was dull... but the story was just so incredibly good and the characters so well acted, and there was such fantastic character growth and depth that the rest didn't matter.

Andromeda was just... I don't know what happened there. Bioware just kinda shit the bed. Did Bioware not know what their secret sauce was? Were they unaware of why ME was so popular and had such a strong fan base? I still don't know how they could have got it so wrong. Because yeah, like you I really, really tried to like it. I played it through once... and I haven't gone back. And since they've announced that they are not going to release any DLCs for it... I don't know if I ever will.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This seems to be the thread to ask: does anyone else suffer from absurdly long load times in Fallout 4? Any time I load a game and it is outside in Boston, I can literally leave the room and make myself a cup of coffee whilst waiting. One of the reasons I still prefer New Vegas.
    Yes.

Same was true for Skyrim though, as well. There's amod for Fallout called "Insignificant Object Remover" that seems to help - it gets rid of a lot of the clutter that takes rendering time, but doesn't really contribute much. This is way outside of my sphere of knowledge, but I *think* it does something like making the clutter (gravel, grass, broken stuff, etc.) hollow or something so it takes less "space" in processing. But even with that... loads are still slow. I almost never fast-travel for that reason.

I thin it has something to do with the game engine itself, because FO NV and Oblivion both had significantly faster load times and fast travel times. I swear, sometimes it seems like it's faster to walk while overburdened than to fast travel in Skyrim.
    Didn't have that much of an issue with Skryim. With fallout 4, I turned off vsync, dialed down LOD, settings down to minimum and it was still painful. The only other piece of advice I received was buy a SSD, which coupled with the games' lack of 4:3 monitor support are two big marks against what was laughingly promoted as a finished product. I will look up that mod, though, thanks

7. Top | #17
    Yes.

Didn't have that much of an issue with Skryim. With fallout 4, I turned off vsync, dialed down LOD, settings down to minimum and it was still painful. The only other piece of advice I received was buy a SSD, which coupled with the games' lack of 4:3 monitor support are two big marks against what was laughingly promoted as a finished product. I will look up that mod, though, thanks
    May not make a difference most of your post was far more technical than I can hack! I don't even know what most of those things are. I understood 4:3... and that was about it!

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    SSD solid state drive
    vsync vertical sync. I don't know the technical details, but turning it off improves performance at a cost of presentation. I remember playing an atari 2600 as a kid, so graphics for me are not the be all and end all of a game
    LOD the distance in the game when items "pop up" as you get near them.

There was a similar thread a while back. And my answer is the same X-Piratez. The guy who designed the mod updated it in December and I'm loving it. The original X-com/Ufo Enemy Unkown is abandonware so the game is essentially free. Here is an RPS article reviewing it:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...atez-xcom-mod/
    and it has become a lot more detailed since.

The two other games I'm playing are Metro 2033 and Dying Light. Metro is a good game, well designed and great story, but if you have played any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, don't bother. You will resent the linear storyline of the game, reduced choice in customization and lack of open-ness. I like Dying Light. It's another zombie survival game, but with two big differences; the parkour element is done pretty will and the day/night cycle really matters. Very enjoyable.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For loading times, the single most effective hardware change I've found is to switch to SSDs.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    CIvilization 6, Homeworld Remastered collection (God I love this game), I just snagged Baldur's Gate Remastered edition, Endless Space 2, and I just got Stellaris although I haven't played it yet, since it's on sale at Steam.