Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: To all the "Good Liberals": A Rant for our Times.

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

To all the "Good Liberals": A Rant for our Times.

I have friends on the left who understand privilege. I have friends on the right who don't, but they do understand good manners.

And then there are the "good liberals." Saints preserve us!

People who mean well, but will attack ungrateful marginalized people in a heartbeat. People who will march with you in the big rally in the Capitol, but will not hear your truth unless you preface every single sentence with "but not all ______ people" (fill in the blank with whatever privileged group applies) People who will fight the fight until they feel a slight then watch out.

Incidents of hatred are on the rise and frankly, I don't have time to constantly make "good liberals" feel warm and safe and praised for their goodness. We're in a fight for our lives and if the only thing you have to worry about is a bruised ego, count yourself blessed and keep it moving.
    I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.

The power of the white world is threatened whenever a black man refuses to accept the white world's definitions.

-- James A. Baldwin

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    #notallgoodliberals

3. Top | #3
    Truth!

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Translation: She wants to be prejudiced and play identity politics without being called out on it. She wants to be able to say X people are Y without individual people who are X but not Y speaking up against being prejudged.

I come from the other side of liberalism, where all individuals are to be treated fairly and not prejudged by race, gender, etc. So yes, NOT ALL X are Y, no matter how bad you feel the need to generalize. This used to be the liberal position, against all manner of racists, sexists, homophobes, etc. But now we are having to push it back on the left as well.

When I first saw this thread (before noticing the author) I thought it would be about the " good" liberals who go out of their way to virtue signal and feel good about themselves for fighting for a group they don't identify with but identify as oppressed. And then such virtue signalling "good liberals" start up for these people and may even claim to speak for them and express views and fight for agendas for them, without actually listening to the people they claim to fight for.

Or another subset is those who do identify with the grouping and who claim to speak for all the others as a whole as if all X have the same views and elected them spokesperson. Often the most important NOT ALL X comes from fellow people who are X and don't want the self important and self elected "spokespersons" speaking for them.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Translation: She wants to be prejudiced and play identity politics without being called out on it. She wants to be able to say X people are Y without individual people who are X but not Y speaking up against being prejudged.

I come from the other side of liberalism, where all individuals are to be treated fairly and not prejudged by race, gender, etc. So yes, NOT ALL X are Y, no matter how bad you feel the need to generalize. This used to be the liberal position, against all manner of racists, sexists, homophobes, etc. But now we are having to push it back on the left as well.

When I first saw this thread (before noticing the author) I thought it would be about the " good" liberals who go out of their way to virtue signal and feel good about themselves for fighting for a group they don't identify with but identify as oppressed. And then such virtue signalling "good liberals" start up for these people and may even claim to speak for them and express views and fight for agendas for them, without actually listening to the people they claim to fight for.

Or another subset is those who do identify with the grouping and who claim to speak for all the others as a whole as if all X have the same views and elected them spokesperson. Often the most important NOT ALL X comes from fellow people who are X and don't want the self important and self elected "spokespersons" speaking for them.
    So your school of liberalism is okay with the strawman?

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That one broke the irony meter.
    I come from the other side of liberalism, where all individuals are to be treated fairly and not prejudged by race, gender, etc.
    You claim that, but your posts do not exhibit that behavior. Your response to AA is an example. Your use of anti-semitic sites is another indicator.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What sites are those?

I could use some more reading material by red-pilled folks.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    So your school of liberalism is okay with the strawman?
    What straw man? She explicitly said she is upset at people who get sour when she attacks a group she identifies with them and she doesn't want to have to deal with them saying "not all X are Y" so they can set themselves apart... because they themselves are X but not Y. Show me how I misread that.

Now fill in the X and Y with various prejudices and you can get a flavour for what we've dealt with on the right and what we're now dealing with on the left as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    What sites are those?

I could use some more reading material by red-pilled folks.
    I have no idea what he's referring to. I won't shy away from reading any websites though, and I will make an effort to understand people I disagree with, unless they are just trolling as he apparently always is.
    Last edited by Jolly_Penguin; 02-28-2018 at 07:34 AM.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't think hatred is on the rise.

It has been bad my whole life. It has never been good.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    That one broke the irony meter.
    I come from the other side of liberalism, where all individuals are to be treated fairly and not prejudged by race, gender, etc.
    You claim that, but your posts do not exhibit that behavior. Your response to AA is an example. Your use of anti-semitic sites is another indicator.
    The complete sentence in question

People who will march with you in the big rally in the Capitol, but will not hear your truth unless you preface every single sentence with "but not all ______ people" (fill in the blank with whatever privileged group applies)

Not quite the same thing as what I am accused of, now is it?
    I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.

The power of the white world is threatened whenever a black man refuses to accept the white world's definitions.

-- James A. Baldwin