Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Comic book movie news & discussion

1. Top | #331
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Ah ha! I think I just figured it out! Sony Pictures Animation has made nothing but bad movies for some time now, although a couple rose to the level of mediocrity.
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1/2 and Arthur Christmas are great movies.

2. Top | #332
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Ah ha! I think I just figured it out! Sony Pictures Animation has made nothing but bad movies for some time now, although a couple rose to the level of mediocrity.
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1/2 and Arthur Christmas are great movies.
    That's a matter of opinion, I guess. I know that Lord & Miller fans point to Cloudy 1 & 2 as examples of their greatness, but I found them to be a bit above average and can't actually remember much of what was in them. I remember kind of enjoying them at the time I watched them, I guess. I do remember thinking that the idea of food falling from the sky being hilarious and inventive, but I can't remember the personalities of any of the characters, nor can I tell you any of the plot points that made up the story. I didn't even see Arthur Christmas, but I'll take your word for it.

I never had any interest in the Hotel Transylvania movies, and the Emoji Movie looked like pure dreck, so I actively avoided it.

Anyway, back to the topic of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

(View video on YouTube)

A lot of mainstream audience members were introduced to the alternate Spider-heroes for the first time with the release of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. While Spider-Gwen is wildly popular with some comic book fans, others are actively angry about the existence of her character.

Some characters exist solely to die and provide the main character with motivation to fight on or to fight harder or whatever.

For example, Batman's parents, Spider-Man's uncle Ben, or the Ancient One for Dr. Strange.

Both male and female characters can be little more than plot-corpses who exist as motivation for the main character, but keep in mind that none of this happens in a vacuum. Up until recently, the action hero was always a male, so if a male character died just to provide motivation to another character, that didn't send a message to little boys that they exist solely for the benefit of another segment of society.

But because the action heroes were never women (and because of other aspects of society), when this same plot element was applied to female characters, it sent a different message to little girls, and of course resulted in complaints by the kind of Evil Social Justice Warriors who think that women should not exist solely for the benefit of and pleasure of men.

Thus was born the concept of Women in Refrigerators, a reference to a female Green Lantern character whose corpse was discarded in a refrigerator just to taunt the hero.

On the flip side, people get frustrated with comic books because it seems like death is meaningless. As one comic book writer lamented, in comic books, death is just a "temporary inconvenience."

This leads to Spider-Gwen anti-fans, who experience nerd-rage because they want Gwen Stacy to remain a motivational corpse and not a person. Gwen Stacy's death happened a decade or so after the death of uncle Ben, so it was basically a reinforcement of Peter Parker's guilt and motivation.

Fans of Spider-Gwen tend to be younger readers and female readers for whom the Gwen Stacy death is a meaningless footnote from some story that happened in the 1970s. It should therefore surprise no one that the Spider-Gwen character in the current Spider-Man movie is proving wildly popular with teen girl audience members, so much so that Sony is already talking about two Spider-Verse sequels starring or co-starring Spider-Gwen.

Thus, at some point, we are probably going to hear about a fan backlash from the segment of older male comic book fans who prefer Gwen Stacy to remain a motivational corpse. I have to say that I agree with Moviebob on this one. Gwen Stacy was a motivational corpse for 41 years, and the Gwen Stacy of the Earth-616 dimension is still a motivational corpse. If modern comic book audience like Spider-Gwen and/or Gwenpool, then good for them and good for the comic book industry.

Uhm, ignore the attached image below. I was using it to make a point that ended up getting edited out of this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Top | #333
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have to say that I agree with Moviebob on this one. Gwen Stacy was a motivational corpse for 41 years, and the Gwen Stacy of the Earth-616 dimension is still a motivational corpse.
    I’m an older fan I guess (when did that happen?), and I would agree too.

Gwen is still dead, she has not been brought back. If anything the introduction of Spider-Gwen has reopened those old wounds for Peter. A reminder and an example of the kind of person she could have become. That wound was also poked by the M day event.

I hope they give glimpses of other Spider-Men in the other films, like the one from Japanese tv.

4. Top | #334
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Japanese Toei version of Spider-Man from the 1970s does show up in the Spider-Verse comic books, but I have no idea what the copyright issues would be with bringing him to a movie.

5. Top | #335
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't know how I missed it when it came out, but I finally discovered "Megamind". That's a great film!

6. Top | #336
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    I don't know how I missed it when it came out, but I finally discovered "Megamind". That's a great film!
    But the main character is blue instead of white. Doesn't that mean this movie is an example of White Genocide and the persecution of superior white people?

7. Top | #337
    Archived
    Total Posts

(View video on YouTube)

Now we found out why Marvel and Netflix split up and canceled the Marvel-Netflix shows. Long story short: Netflix tried to play hardball during negotiations.

8. Top | #338
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

(View video on YouTube)

Now we found out why Marvel and Netflix split up and canceled the Marvel-Netflix shows. Long story short: Netflix tried to play hardball during negotiations.
    Awww... poor whittle ole mega conglomerate was bullied by Netflix.

9. Top | #339
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

(View video on YouTube)

Awww... poor whittle ole mega conglomerate was bullied by Netflix.
    Oh, I don't think they were bullied. In fact I imagine you and I have the same fears about Disney taking over quite that much of the entertainment industry and becoming a near-monopoly (if not a de facto one), but Netflix did kind of create this particular problem now that we know the details of their negotiation.

Anyway, on to the next topic.

(View video on YouTube)

This barely counts as a comic book movie given that none of the comic book aficionados that I know actually read the comic book, but still this has me excited. That's some inspired casting there as Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth have already proved that they do well in action-comedies together (Thor Ragnarok).

10. Top | #340
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Another Men in Black movie?