Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book movie news & discussion

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Most DC heroes have a large rogues' gallery of memorable villains. I don't think any Marvel hero has a rogues' gallery as large and memorable as Batman has.
    Spider-Man has the best rogues gallery for Marvel. I think a number of other heroes have a decent list, but they get overshadowed by a few big names on them. Like the Fantastic Four’s list is dominated by Doom and Galactus.
    Yeah, if you ask me to list off the villains of any Marvel hero, I'm going to have the easiest time with Spider-Man and the X-Men.

2. Top | #12
    It would've been better to, you know, not kill Ares. Especially since he can engineer disasters that might challenge the entire Justice League.
    I would tend to agree but other than Loki, Luthor jr. and Vulture how many comic book villains can you think of that survived their movie? More often than not the villains are disposed of by the end of the movies, which is a trend I really don't care for.

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodchild View Post
    It would've been better to, you know, not kill Ares. Especially since he can engineer disasters that might challenge the entire Justice League.
    I would tend to agree but other than Loki, Luthor jr. and Vulture how many comic book villains can you think of that survived their movie? More often than not the villains are disposed of by the end of the movies, which is a trend I really don't care for.
    As Lego Batman points out... Batman rarely ever finishes off his enemies. Joker in the first Burton film gets it, and

Two Face in the last Nolan Batman that needs to be ever discussed again

but otherwise, the villains always live to see another day. Marvel isn't as kind, but on occasion, bad guys do sometimes survive.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    There's no reason to have Wonder Woman specific villains from comics. I'd rather see them take a second-tier villain from Batman or Flash, or Superman for that matter, than shoehorn Cheetah into it. The catty woman villain trope is so behind the times.
    Nothing about Cheetah could be described as "catty". She's incredibly vicious and a serious challenge to Diana. And given that she's a serious character I really couldn't see Wiig as a good choice to play her, but who knows ... she might be awesome in the part.

Wonder Woman really doesn't have as much of a recognizable rogue's gallery as The Flash or Batman. Once they've used up Ares and Cheetah that's pretty much it for any villain casual viewers might have even a passing knowledge of so I do agree with the idea of taking villains from other DC stories and adapting them for WW movies.
    It would've been better to, you know, not kill Ares.
    Villains (and heroes) in superhero movies (and comics) have a tendency to not stay dead for long. And that is when they are not even gods. Ares was killed by Wonder Woman in the comics, and brought back to life, there is no reason they wouldn't do the same thing here if they really found a compelling reason to have Ares around again.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That was kind of my point in the original thread. Superhero movies tend to kill off the villain. At certain times, that is self-defeating.

I mean, I get that Jessica Jones needed to be the one to kill Purple Man so she could have closure and a satisfying story, but Purple Man is exactly the sort of villain you want to keep around.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That was kind of my point in the original thread. Superhero movies tend to kill off the villain. At certain times, that is self-defeating.

I mean, I get that Jessica Jones needed to be the one to kill Purple Man so she could have closure and a satisfying story, but Purple Man is exactly the sort of villain you want to keep around.
    Killing off villains is offset by the fact that movies and tv series get rebooted at regular intervals, which allows old villains to come back and stories to be retold. If you take Jessica Jones, it'll have maybe a couple of seasons more. If they can't fill that without running out of ideas, maybe they shouldn't do it at all.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post

Killing off villains is offset by the fact that movies and tv series get rebooted at regular intervals, which allows old villains to come back and stories to be retold. If you take Jessica Jones, it'll have maybe a couple of seasons more. If they can't fill that without running out of ideas, maybe they shouldn't do it at all.
    It's just that Purple Man was so good that it's hard for me to imagine them coming up with a better villain and a villain who perfectly fits with the themes/subtexts of Jessica Jones.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Jessica Jones announced the episode titles of the upcoming season 2 using faux pulp magazine covers by a female artist.

https://screenrant.com/jessica-jones...titles-covers/

https://mashable.com/2018/03/05/jess...op-art-covers/

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Marvel fans are wigging out that Hawkeye wasn't in the trailer. Green Arrow actor Steve Amell had a pretty cute comment about the whole brouhaha:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-3-po...stephen-amell/

10. Top | #20
    The new trailer for Deadpool 2 looks great