Thread: Newfoundland - Labrador

1. Top | #11
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Right now, the plan is for 12 days:

• SE / Barachoise Falls Trail / Starlite Trail / Steady Creek Falls
    • Cape Blow Me Down Trail, Copper Falls, Tableland Trail (Gros Morne)
    • Green Gardens (Gros Morne, though it sounds like this is currently being worked on), East Point (Gros Morne), Baker Brook Falls Trail (Gros Morne)
    • West Brook Pond Boat Excursion (Gros Morne), Arch Park,
    • L'Anse Aux Meadows / Iceberg-Whale boating / hang around
    • Trail in Englee / scurry towards east coast / Maybe Rattling Brook Falls
    • Gun Hill Trail / Spurwick Trail / Elliston
    • Dungeon / Bonvista Point
    • Avalon/St. John's for three days and do parts of the East Trail (some hiking, some cheating). About the only time we have room to wiggle with weather.

It looks like northern Central Newfoundland has some nice areas, but access is fingered out. Two trails that are 10 km apart on the map (with ocean in between) can be 80 to 100 km to drive to them. Twillingate was on my list early as was the Beothuk related area, but we are really trying to limit the driving (already doing enough of it!). I might need to add a day in St. Anthony's and go to Englee on one of those days to provide a buffer for weather.
    If you have good enough coordinates you can use Google Maps to figure out what the drive will be. It will take GPS coordinates, but trailheads are rarely on the map so you have to know the coordinates from elsewhere. If your stuff is on AllTrails the app can send the location to Google Maps--note that it will not be labeled well but it does give the location.

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, that can be done, but it still doesn't address the issue of the fingering of the roads. You need to drive south 30 to 40 km, go east 20 km, then back up north 30 or 40 km.

3. Top | #13
    I've no experience in that part of the world at all, but it sure sounds like fun! Don't forget to share pictures when you get back.

L'Anse Aux Meadows is on my lifetime bucket list.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

4. Top | #14
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, that can be done, but it still doesn't address the issue of the fingering of the roads. You need to drive south 30 to 40 km, go east 20 km, then back up north 30 or 40 km.
    Once you have the coordinates of both trailheads you can ask Google to give directions between them.

5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Once you have the coordinates of both trailheads you can ask Google to give directions between them.
    The coordinates aren't the problem. It is getting physically there that is. I was also off by 2x, over 200 km drive. It'd be faster (much) to Kayak.

Admittedly, this is a worst case I think, but the fingering is pretty bad. Leading Tickles to Moore's Cove is about 100 km. There is a lot of no-roads around here going on in Newfoundland.

6. Top | #16
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    The coordinates aren't the problem. It is getting physically there that is. I was also off by 2x, over 200 km drive. It'd be faster (much) to Kayak.

Admittedly, this is a worst case I think, but the fingering is pretty bad. Leading Tickles to Moore's Cove is about 100 km. There is a lot of no-roads around here going on in Newfoundland.
    If you have coordinates of both spots you can plug them into Google maps and it will tell you how far the drive is. The only issue is whether those roads are actually reasonable. I've had Google direct me down a road that I knew wasn't the best route but I wanted to see and it the source I had been looking at said it was normally passable to a sedan, although since then I have seen it marked as high clearance required (High clearance certainly would have made it easier but I was always able to choose a safe path.) Driving that in a stick would have been hell on the clutch, though--plenty of places where I was climbing but 5 mph would have been too fast. Had you driven it at the 25 mph speed limit that it's obvious Google assumed you would at best be in the hospital and more likely the morgue.