Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone lost the travel bug?

1. Top | #11
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    I find that air travel has become a real ordeal, especially over long distances. Airlines, especially American carriers, have been competing in a race to increase fees, reduce services, and pack cramped spaces with as many bodies as possible. Equipment tends to be neglected unless it is deemed essential to keep the plane in service.

In retirement, I mostly travel for leisure, so I have found that cruising makes more sense. It is usually cheaper, if one shops around and spends carefully--full room and board that goes with you to each destination. One can also combine land trips from embarkation and disembarkation locations. Since I don't get seasick, it works very well for me. The major downside is that these floating vacation factories are also germ factories.

2. Top | #12
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    I find that air travel has become a real ordeal, especially over long distances. Airlines, especially American carriers, have been competing in a race to increase fees, reduce services, and pack cramped spaces with as many bodies as possible. Equipment tends to be neglected unless it is deemed essential to keep the plane in service.

In retirement, I mostly travel for leisure, so I have found that cruising makes more sense. It is usually cheaper, if one shops around and spends carefully--full room and board that goes with you to each destination. One can also combine land trips from embarkation and disembarkation locations. Since I don't get seasick, it works very well for me. The major downside is that these floating vacation factories are also germ factories.
    I concur with Samuel Johnson, who remarked that "being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned"; and I would add to his observation "...and an even greater chance of norovirus".

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Here's a thought: where are the people who've travelled and experienced enough that they've lost interest in travel?

I haven't travelled too extensively, mostly a bunch of Europe and North America, but oddly enough my interest in history along with the travelling that I have done has taken a lot of the appeal out of it for me.

I can contrast my state of mind these days with that of when I was 16 and taking a high school trip to Italy. The trip was exciting at that time because Europe was a mystery to me, but these days I don't find many cultures or places particularly mysterious or interesting, at least so much so that spending huge sums of money, time, and energy to be there feels worthwhile.

So now I have the money to travel almost anywhere I want to, and yet am content sitting in a coffee shop downtown and reading a book.
    Me too...

4. Top | #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

I concur with Samuel Johnson, who remarked that "being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned"; and I would add to his observation "...and an even greater chance of norovirus".
    When Samuel Johnson wrote that, ships were somewhat different from modern cruise ships, and norovirus was the least of the problems. I did have a bout of it once, but one learns to wash hands frequently, avoid coming into physical contact with people (e.g. shaking hands), and to use common sense. The crews these days are well-trained at handling outbreaks. But don't let me convince you to go on cruises. The prices are already high enough, and we prefer the cruise lines to feel the pressure of competition for customers.

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

When Samuel Johnson wrote that, ships were somewhat different from modern cruise ships, and norovirus was the least of the problems. I did have a bout of it once, but one learns to wash hands frequently, avoid coming into physical contact with people (e.g. shaking hands), and to use common sense. The crews these days are well-trained at handling outbreaks. But don't let me convince you to go on cruises. The prices are already high enough, and we prefer the cruise lines to feel the pressure of competition for customers.
    I'm in the unfortunate situation of having to plan a Mediterranean cruise for my honeymoon (tough life, I know). Any tips for someone who hasn't been on a cruise before?

6. Top | #16
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm in the unfortunate situation of having to plan a Mediterranean cruise for my honeymoon (tough life, I know). Any tips for someone who hasn't been on a cruise before?
    Go to Greece.

I don't get seasick, so I din't have a problem. Make sure it agrees with you...

7. Top | #17
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas II View Post
    Go to Greece.

A part of me wants to visit Southern France too, but also Spain, and also Italy, and also Greece.. and maybe Northern Africa, or the Baltic.. or.. or..

I have to settle somewhere.. seems to be the problem, and my partner has no definite opinion.

8. Top | #18
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas II View Post

Go to Greece.

A part of me wants to visit Southern France too, but also Spain, and also Italy, and also Greece.. and maybe Northern Africa, or the Baltic.. or.. or..

I have to settle somewhere.. seems to be the problem, and my partner has no definite opinion.
    Each place has it's own charm, so you're gonna have to narrow it down. The Baltic is a separate trip.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here is a travel pictures thread, if anyone is interested; https://talkfreethought.org/showthre...ravel-pictures

10. Top | #20
    I would be happy to give you advice. My wife and I have been on several Mediterranean cruises, primarily on Celebrity ships, but we have cruised other itineraries on other lines. Do you have a particular cruise in mind? How far along in the process are you? Have you purchased the cruise yet? How long will the cruise be? Do you know what kind of cabin you want? Do you prefer a party experience or something a little calmer? There are some differences across cruise lines.

If you haven't got a cruise yet, the primary ports for embarkation and debarkation will probably be Civitavecchia (outside of Rome), Venice (spectacular sailaway from there), Athens, or Barcelona. Of all of those, Venice is my favorite.

You can PM me, if you want to take this offline.