Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the Champions League pointless? Critiquing European football

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    While there are a lot of factors involved, this must be a big part of it. What would happen to Man United if they were relegated? What would happen if they were out of the premier league for a number of years? That's a lot of money to be lost, and a big incentive to keep the rules as they are now.
    It is very unlikely Manchester Utd would ever get relegated these days, despite Mourinho's best efforts. Something would have to shift in the league for that to happen. A few "big" and very successful clubs languish in the lower divisions. Nottingham Forrest, a former European Cup winner haven't been in the premier league for years, Leeds United another famous club that has been struggling. But any one of these clubs could have their fortunes turned around on the whim of a billionaire that wants to play in the sandpit with the other billionaire owners for a while.

2. Top | #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    It is very unlikely Manchester Utd would ever get relegated these days, despite Mourinho's best efforts.
    Mourinho's best efforts currently have them in second place. If that's him failing then 18 other managers need to be sacked immediately.

3. Top | #23
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodchild View Post
    It is very unlikely Manchester Utd would ever get relegated these days, despite Mourinho's best efforts.
    Mourinho's best efforts currently have them in second place. If that's him failing then 18 other managers need to be sacked immediately.
    Yeah, but usually he starts running into problems of teams revolting under his leadership not too much longer than a few years into his run. And while Man U is second, they are out of the Champions League and also a distant second. Regardless, he is a twat.

4. Top | #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    And while Man U is second, they are out of the Champions League and also a distant second.
    True, but just think how much further away from first everyone else is City are having a stellar season and of all the other usual suspects none are living up to their typical billing. Other than City, Liverpool is the only Prem team still in the CL and I really don't rate their chances of getting past City.

Regardless, he is a twat.
    Well, can't really argue with that But United needed a proven manager and who else was realistically available that fit the bill at the time? I'm worried that Arsenal will finally get the courage to sack Wenger about the time United give up on Jose and they pick up Wenger.

5. Top | #25
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The way Arsenal spend money, Pulis may be a better fit.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodchild View Post
    A distant second behind the noisy neighbours. Could still be overtaken. The glory hunters are not going to put up with that, they will find another team to support.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ever wonder why so many Yankee fans are still Yankee fans, so many Dodger fans are still Dodger fans even after Yogi and Campi left, Joe, Duke Pee Wee, Phil, Whitey and Jackie retired and the dodgers moved to the Coliseum from Brooklyn? Kind of like if you have a record as a winner you are my team.

Works across sports and across nations it seems. Well maybe not. Anybody outside Brazil remember what team Pele was on? Sometimes it's just the guy.

As to the OP, is it pointless that players are getting more money than kings in soccer. I got that from Pele who had to be declared a national treasure to stay in Brazil. You do know that Ronaldo, Messi, and Robben aren't from Spain, Spain, and Germany, right?

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    I watched some highlights of the two CL fixtures, Barcelona v Roma and Man City v Liverpool. I watched most of the second half of the Barcelona game and I thought it was entertaining. Two very good teams. Man City v Liverpool I didn't see very much of but what I did see appears to show Man City have been over hyped. Perhaps they didn't field a full strength team ? But Liverpool have a lot of good players and they play a good style of attacking football despite losing one of their more influential players. I actually may have to concede that Liverpool could reach the final based off that form.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Liverpool v Man City was a classic for fans of the Reds. Liverpool played an incredible half of football and then didn't fuck it up in the second half! (you never know with these guys) Liverpool can show up in a big way when they do. Often, when it matters most, they don't finish. Just need one goal early at the Etihad to finish off Man City. Looks like the usual cast in the semi-finals... and Liverpool. And goodness, Salah just won't stop (nearing 40 goals for this football season)! Russia better watch out because unless Uruguay falter, Egypt is going to give Russia a run for their money with Salah up front.

Also, I wouldn't say Manchester City is overhyped. They made it to the Quarterfinals this year. Man City has usually underperformed in Champions League. They haven't underperformed in the EPL, having only 3 draws and 1 loss all season (31 games played).

10. Top | #30
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Liverpool v Man City was a classic for fans of the Reds. Liverpool played an incredible half of football and then didn't fuck it up in the second half! (you never know with these guys) Liverpool can show up in a big way when they do. Often, when it matters most, they don't finish. Just need one goal early at the Etihad to finish off Man City. Looks like the usual cast in the semi-finals... and Liverpool. And goodness, Salah just won't stop (nearing 40 goals for this football season)! Russia better watch out because unless Uruguay falter, Egypt is going to give Russia a run for their money with Salah up front.

Also, I wouldn't say Manchester City is overhyped. They made it to the Quarterfinals this year. Man City has usually underperformed in Champions League. They haven't underperformed in the EPL, having only 3 draws and 1 loss all season (31 games played).
    I only saw the last third of the game, but I had to wonder if City's success in the premier league was partially responsible for the loss.

When you believe you can't be beat and a skilled team comes hard at you, bad things can happen.