Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: The 613 Biblical Commandments

  1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,400
    Rep Power
    11

    The 613 Biblical Commandments

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

    If you believe the Old Testament is the inpired word of god, here are all your commanments, a lot more than the death penalty for gays. Get to it or be damned.
    Last edited by Copernicus; 04-12-2018 at 02:29 AM.

  2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,468
    Rep Power
    16
    When I was a child my father said I had to (commanded me to) hold his hand while crossing the road. He also commanded me not to talk to strangers. And he forbade me from attempting joy rides in the family car. I was expressly forbidden from going near the fire place/matches or boiling water.

    Yesterday I crossed the road without holding his or anyone else's hand, I freely spoke to strangers. I drove a car to and from my destination and when I got home I lit the fire and boiled a kettle of water.

    Now. Did I break any of his numerous commandments?

    Sorry? What's that you say? Some laws are just temporary?

    http://absnospin.blogspot.com.au/200...ictic-law.html

  3. Top | #3
    Senior Member remez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    711
    Archived
    920
    Total Posts
    1,631
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

    If you believe the Old Testament is the inpired word of god, here are all your commanments, a lot more than the death penalty for gays. Get to it or be damned.
    Again ??????? Really.

    How many 1849 California laws and statutes does a man living in 2018 Dallas have to follow?

  4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,933
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    2,524
    Rep Power
    59
    The California state code was not writ by Gawd himself.

  5. Top | #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,139
    Archived
    42,293
    Total Posts
    58,432
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

    If you believe the Old Testament is the inpired word of god, here are all your commanments, a lot more than the death penalty for gays. Get to it or be damned.
    Again ??????? Really.

    How many 1849 California laws and statutes does a man living in 2018 Dallas have to follow?
    It depends on how many of those are the eternal commands of an inerrant being who'll toss you into a lake of fire for eternity if you break any of them. Based on a quick perusal of the California laws and statutes, I'd put that number at 756 of them.

  6. Top | #6
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    1,973
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

    If you believe the Old Testament is the inpired word of god, here are all your commanments, a lot more than the death penalty for gays. Get to it or be damned.
    Again ??????? Really.

    How many 1849 California laws and statutes does a man living in 2018 Dallas have to follow?
    It depends on how many of those are the eternal commands of an inerrant being who'll toss you into a lake of fire for eternity if you break any of them. Based on a quick perusal of the California laws and statutes, I'd put that number at 756 of them.
    Most of those 613 laws have very clearly stated penalties attached to them, usually in the same or the next verse. None of those penalties are being thrown into a lake of fire for eternity.

    I note that California was not a monarchy with clearly defined laws and consequences in 1849...

  7. Top | #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,139
    Archived
    42,293
    Total Posts
    58,432
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

    It depends on how many of those are the eternal commands of an inerrant being who'll toss you into a lake of fire for eternity if you break any of them. Based on a quick perusal of the California laws and statutes, I'd put that number at 756 of them.
    Most of those 613 laws have very clearly stated penalties attached to them, usually in the same or the next verse. None of those penalties are being thrown into a lake of fire for eternity.
    Ya, for instance, if a man has sex with a dog, you have to kill the dog. That shit's just cold. What the hell did the dog do wrong?

    I don't see how the Bible can be taken as a legitimate source for moral codes without a decent answer to that question.

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,400
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

    If you believe the Old Testament is the inpired word of god, here are all your commanments, a lot more than the death penalty for gays. Get to it or be damned.
    Again ??????? Really.

    How many 1849 California laws and statutes does a man living in 2018 Dallas have to follow?
    Yes, and that makes modern protetant Christianity a Chinese restaurant menu. Pick one from column A and one from column B.

    A
    Over the years I got a good first hand sense on how many Christians do take the OT as absolute. A significant percentage.

    My point in the OP and the 613 commandments is why pick solely on gays?

    In the gospels one of few things directly attributed to Christ was reinforcing the prohibition on divorce. A serious offense in the times, equated to fornication if you remarried.

    Seems like conservatives would be as outraged over divorce as gays. Especially high profile Christian politicians who divorce.

  9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    22,330
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    64,803
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    When I was a child my father said I had to (commanded me to) hold his hand while crossing the road. He also commanded me not to talk to strangers. And he forbade me from attempting joy rides in the family car. I was expressly forbidden from going near the fire place/matches or boiling water.

    Yesterday I crossed the road without holding his or anyone else's hand, I freely spoke to strangers. I drove a car to and from my destination and when I got home I lit the fire and boiled a kettle of water.

    Now. Did I break any of his numerous commandments?

    Sorry? What's that you say? Some laws are just temporary?

    http://absnospin.blogspot.com.au/200...ictic-law.html
    Well, apparently man is no longer fallen or in need of God’s rules in order to live in peace.

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,468
    Rep Power
    16
    Living in peace would be following God's rule.
    BTW - the Fall wasn't irreversible. There is a remedy for original sin - salvation.

Similar Threads

  1. Did the Biblical God Create the Universe from Nothing?
    By lpetrich in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM
  2. The 613 Old Testament Commandments
    By steve_bank in forum General Religion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-01-2019, 03:49 PM
  3. Alternative 10 commandments
    By ruby sparks in forum Other Philosophical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2018, 06:07 AM
  4. Was the Biblical God a Volcano?
    By lpetrich in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-03-2018, 06:47 PM
  5. The Scandal of Biblical Illiteracy!
    By braces_for_impact in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-15-2015, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •