Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 613 Biblical Commandments

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member

The 613 Biblical Commandments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

If you believe the Old Testament is the inpired word of god, here are all your commanments, a lot more than the death penalty for gays. Get to it or be damned.
    Last edited by Copernicus; 04-12-2018 at 02:29 AM.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    When I was a child my father said I had to (commanded me to) hold his hand while crossing the road. He also commanded me not to talk to strangers. And he forbade me from attempting joy rides in the family car. I was expressly forbidden from going near the fire place/matches or boiling water.

Yesterday I crossed the road without holding his or anyone else's hand, I freely spoke to strangers. I drove a car to and from my destination and when I got home I lit the fire and boiled a kettle of water.

Now. Did I break any of his numerous commandments?

Sorry? What's that you say? Some laws are just temporary?

http://absnospin.blogspot.com.au/200...ictic-law.html

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

If you believe the Old Testament is the inpired word of god, here are all your commanments, a lot more than the death penalty for gays. Get to it or be damned.
    Again ??????? Really.

How many 1849 California laws and statutes does a man living in 2018 Dallas have to follow?

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The California state code was not writ by Gawd himself.

5. Top | #5
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post

Again ??????? Really.

How many 1849 California laws and statutes does a man living in 2018 Dallas have to follow?
    It depends on how many of those are the eternal commands of an inerrant being who'll toss you into a lake of fire for eternity if you break any of them. Based on a quick perusal of the California laws and statutes, I'd put that number at 756 of them.

6. Top | #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

Again ??????? Really.

It depends on how many of those are the eternal commands of an inerrant being who'll toss you into a lake of fire for eternity if you break any of them. Based on a quick perusal of the California laws and statutes, I'd put that number at 756 of them.
    Most of those 613 laws have very clearly stated penalties attached to them, usually in the same or the next verse. None of those penalties are being thrown into a lake of fire for eternity.

I note that California was not a monarchy with clearly defined laws and consequences in 1849...

7. Top | #7
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

Most of those 613 laws have very clearly stated penalties attached to them, usually in the same or the next verse. None of those penalties are being thrown into a lake of fire for eternity.
    Ya, for instance, if a man has sex with a dog, you have to kill the dog. That shit's just cold. What the hell did the dog do wrong?

I don't see how the Bible can be taken as a legitimate source for moral codes without a decent answer to that question.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member

Again ??????? Really.

Yes, and that makes modern protetant Christianity a Chinese restaurant menu. Pick one from column A and one from column B.

A
    Over the years I got a good first hand sense on how many Christians do take the OT as absolute. A significant percentage.

My point in the OP and the 613 commandments is why pick solely on gays?

In the gospels one of few things directly attributed to Christ was reinforcing the prohibition on divorce. A serious offense in the times, equated to fornication if you remarried.

Seems like conservatives would be as outraged over divorce as gays. Especially high profile Christian politicians who divorce.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    When I was a child my father said I had to (commanded me to) hold his hand while crossing the road. He also commanded me not to talk to strangers. And he forbade me from attempting joy rides in the family car. I was expressly forbidden from going near the fire place/matches or boiling water.

Yesterday I crossed the road without holding his or anyone else's hand, I freely spoke to strangers. I drove a car to and from my destination and when I got home I lit the fire and boiled a kettle of water.

Now. Did I break any of his numerous commandments?

Sorry? What's that you say? Some laws are just temporary?

http://absnospin.blogspot.com.au/200...ictic-law.html
    Well, apparently man is no longer fallen or in need of God’s rules in order to live in peace.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Living in peace would be following God's rule.
    BTW - the Fall wasn't irreversible. There is a remedy for original sin - salvation.