1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Baptist lecture attacking Calvin for making a theocratic state

Interesting stuff

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Seems very rare these days but some Baptist are actually on the side of separation of church and state.

Joint Baptist Committee
    http://bjconline.org/mission-history/

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Interesting stuff

Referring back to one my recent rants: I stopped the vid only 37 seconds into it to make this post, because the freakin' music track is thus far drowning out the speaker so much that I can barely make out what he's saying.

Absolutely unforgiveable. Why in the fucking fuck of all fucking hell would anyone want to do that?

Going back to the video now, as I just love anything that criticizes Calvin. I see a desk and two guys talking. If there's a loud music track during THAT, I will turn it off.

***Whew, they turned it off at around 1:40.

All very good thus far. They had better mention Servetus.
    Last edited by WAB; 06-15-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    Seems very rare these days but some Baptist are actually on the side of separation of church and state.

Joint Baptist Committee
    It used to be most Baptists.

Part of the reason America has separation of church and state is that the Baptists were sick of the Puritans using local governments to jail non-Puritans for praying the wrong way. For a long time, most Baptists were champions of separation of church and state.

Baptists arguing against separation of church and state is a very recent thing. I'm pretty sure it coincides with the rise of the religious right.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post

Joint Baptist Committee

Part of the reason America has separation of church and state is that the Baptists were sick of the Puritans using local governments to jail non-Puritans for praying the wrong way. For a long time, most Baptists were champions of separation of church and state.

Baptists arguing against separation of church and state is a very recent thing. I'm pretty sure it coincides with the rise of the religious right.
    Yup. For many it all comes down to self-interest. In the early days Baptists were a small minority and wanted protection. Now that they are a dominant religious faction and very right-wing, many want to impose their religion onto others. Many of the Abrahamic religious factions are like that.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post

Joint Baptist Committee

Yup. For many it all comes down to self-interest. In the early days Baptists were a small minority and wanted protection. Now that they are a dominant religious faction and very right-wing, many want to impose their religion onto others. Many of the Abrahamic religious factions are like that.
    They are getting too big for their britches.

They are the largest protestant denomination and the Protestants outnumber the Catholics, but if we eliminated separation of church and state, the Baptists would remain in charge only for so long as they could hold a coalition of Protestants together. Eventually, they would piss off the other Protestants, and it would only take a small amount of infighting to turn America into a Catholic Nation™ in a single election.

From there, I would expect the Catholics to use their influence over the government to stoke the fires of infighting among the different Protestant factions. They're pretty good at that kind of skullduggery, you know.

You are right in that Baptists switched sides in the battle for separation of church and state because they think they're in a position of power now, but I really think they didn't think this one through all the way.