Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Eats

1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    At this point just about my entire diet consists of fresh, healthy foods. It's also become really simple in that I've started enjoying the fresh foods for themselves, rather than worrying about cooking elaborate meals.

If I need the vitamins I'll chop a plate full of raw vegetables and fruit, with no dressings or dips.

If I need the protein I find a nice cut of meat.

If I need to sate my hunger it's often done with some form of bread.

I avoid refined sugar like the plague, and try to eat complex carbohydrates instead when I can.

For breakfast, lately I've been buying All Bran and adding raisins, for less sugar than Raisin Bran.

Somehow I've transitioned to adding milk to my coffee instead of cream

When we cook rice it's always brown.

And on and on.

To some people this sounds horrifying, but I've been deliberately, and gradually changing my diet for about 5 years now, so all I really crave anymore is healthy food, pretty much all the time.

My (occasional) vices are butter, salt, bacon, the occasional chocolate, and a splash of alcohol.
    How else would you get vitamins from if not veggies and other foods?

Diet supplements? No one can show a benefit from healthy people taking diet supplements. The only thing we can say for sure is that those vitamin pills make your pee darker.
    I guess the point was that these days I appreciate vegetables and fruits for what they are, and don't feel the need to cook and slather them in seasoning and dressing. Just buy, take out of the fridge, chop, eat.

For dinner we'll usually steam them, but occasionally I'll just pile a plate with raw produce and eat it as is. I mention this because it seems like a lot of people have an aversion to eating food plain and just enjoying the natural flavours of it. But if you give it a chance, fresh foods are usually pretty tasty in their own right, and there is no real need for fancy recipes.

2. Top | #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDynasty View Post
    At this point just about my entire diet consists of fresh, healthy foods. It's also become really simple in that I've started enjoying the fresh foods for themselves, rather than worrying about cooking elaborate meals.

If I need the vitamins I'll chop a plate full of raw vegetables and fruit, with no dressings or dips.

I avoid refined sugar like the plague, and try to eat complex carbohydrates instead when I can.

For breakfast, lately I've been buying All Bran and adding raisins, for less sugar than Raisin Bran.

And on and on.

To some people this sounds horrifying, but I've been deliberately, and gradually changing my diet for about 5 years now, so all I really crave anymore is healthy food, pretty much all the time.

My (occasional) vices are butter, salt, bacon, the occasional chocolate, and a splash of alcohol.

I find I'm not one who can usually gradually change anything, not with smoking, not with eating, not with exercise, etc. I have to make a huge change, or not at all, and no more am I willing than I am in the funds for getting the right equipment/foods/adaptive tools, or healthy replacements.

The only time it works to go gradual is with fresh veg and fruit added to my diet, and only really recently as I started making enough to account for the higher price of keeping that going versus canned veg and no fruit, which meant I added more sides and more meat, which is bad idea.

If I had any skill or patience at gardening I'd make a small one for veg, and seasonings. So I like to try for a mix of healthy and bad for now, but there are some things that are just too bland even for someone who once went a whole year and half with cooked ramen noodles minus the seasoning, and that's just veg and brown rice/bread without something to make the awful taste worth it.

Cheers to anybody with the will to do that, though.
    See I would have thought that making a huge change all at once is what would be hard, and why people so commonly fail. They try to change too much, too fast, and end up giving in.

I haven't found what I've done too difficult for the very reason that the changes have always been small and needed little willpower. Years ago I'd do something like swap out a cupcake in my lunch with a delicious, but slightly healthier option. I still got the enjoyment but I also nudged myself in the right direction. I just kept doing that, but with everything, until the metaphorical cupcakes turned into a metaphorical cup of fruit and my body had become acclimatized to the shift.

The whole time I knew that my body and brain was plastic and that I could train myself to enjoy healthier and healthier foods, and that's what I did. Nowadays it's shocking even to me how easily I can turn down trash food. I just don't want it.

And I think the problem most people have is that there are so many convenient, energy rich, and delicious foods out there that the average 'Westerner' has been trained in the opposite direction. To them it feels normal to eat junk, and they can't conceive of the possibility of eating a completely healthy diet.
    IKR?? My brain's weird in that the time I quit smoking and held that quit for 2 years, plus amazing exercise regime of miles running or spin biking a day, and weight training and mma training and eating healthy and I, one day, just said, enough of this I want military service and off I went. Of course, two years in I got really sick from unrelated shit that cost me the service entry along with my mobility , so then it all went to shit from diet to smoking to everything else. But hey, I wasn't supposed to be here passed a month old and now I'm 36. So fuck it, I'll eat, drink, smoke, and do whatever else cuz people are stupid/self-serving/egotistical and I aint got time for stupid/self-serving/egotistical anymore.

Meh, to each their own as long as they keep their empty-eyed, cultish way of trying to convince me otherwise to themselves, I guess.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts

And on and on.

How else would you get vitamins from if not veggies and other foods?

Diet supplements? No one can show a benefit from healthy people taking diet supplements. The only thing we can say for sure is that those vitamin pills make your pee darker.
    I guess the point was that these days I appreciate vegetables and fruits for what they are, and don't feel the need to cook and slather them in seasoning and dressing. Just buy, take out of the fridge, chop, eat.

For dinner we'll usually steam them, but occasionally I'll just pile a plate with raw produce and eat it as is. I mention this because it seems like a lot of people have an aversion to eating food plain and just enjoying the natural flavours of it. But if you give it a chance, fresh foods are usually pretty tasty in their own right, and there is no real need for fancy recipes.
    Sorry, I just felt the need to interject a complaint about vitamin supplements because I took them my entire childhood and a good chunk of my adult life before finding out that it was all horeshit based on the ravings of an otherwise brilliant scientist who was losing his mind.

4. Top | #14

Sorry, I just felt the need to interject a complaint about vitamin supplements because I took them my entire childhood and a good chunk of my adult life before finding out that it was all horeshit based on the ravings of an otherwise brilliant scientist who was losing his mind.
    Except when they actually work to bring vitamin levels back up. My vitamin D, B12, and calcium have always been deficient, probably cuz it took 6 months of my early life for me t gain any weight at all or grow, so I started on supplements that I went back to when it was found to go low again in certain vitamins at my doctor's advice and by the next month these levels had all evened out without the need or anything prescription wise, not to say there aren't times it doesn't work. Iron supplements for example are notorious for rarely being broken down well by the body, sometimes leading to pockets of iron sitting in the legs instead of being absorbed.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fresh pineapple with a few fresh blueberries. Booya!

6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

See I would have thought that making a huge change all at once is what would be hard, and why people so commonly fail. They try to change too much, too fast, and end up giving in.

I haven't found what I've done too difficult for the very reason that the changes have always been small and needed little willpower. Years ago I'd do something like swap out a cupcake in my lunch with a delicious, but slightly healthier option. I still got the enjoyment but I also nudged myself in the right direction. I just kept doing that, but with everything, until the metaphorical cupcakes turned into a metaphorical cup of fruit and my body had become acclimatized to the shift.

The whole time I knew that my body and brain was plastic and that I could train myself to enjoy healthier and healthier foods, and that's what I did. Nowadays it's shocking even to me how easily I can turn down trash food. I just don't want it.

And I think the problem most people have is that there are so many convenient, energy rich, and delicious foods out there that the average 'Westerner' has been trained in the opposite direction. To them it feels normal to eat junk, and they can't conceive of the possibility of eating a completely healthy diet.
    IKR?? My brain's weird in that the time I quit smoking and held that quit for 2 years, plus amazing exercise regime of miles running or spin biking a day, and weight training and mma training and eating healthy and I, one day, just said, enough of this I want military service and off I went. Of course, two years in I got really sick from unrelated shit that cost me the service entry along with my mobility , so then it all went to shit from diet to smoking to everything else. But hey, I wasn't supposed to be here passed a month old and now I'm 36. So fuck it, I'll eat, drink, smoke, and do whatever else cuz people are stupid/self-serving/egotistical and I aint got time for stupid/self-serving/egotistical anymore.

Meh, to each their own as long as they keep their empty-eyed, cultish way of trying to convince me otherwise to themselves, I guess.
    Stopping smoking all at once makes a bit more sense to me. To me smoking was always just as much psychological as it was physical. When I quit I figured I had to cut the physical habit of going outside and lighting up, as well as the nicotine addiction. I used patches to stop the former, while slowly weaning down the latter.

I found it a bit different with food because I wasn't cutting the habit of eating altogether, just changing what nutrients my body was used to. I found this far, far easier than quitting smoking, or cutting back on drinking. There just had to be the will to do it, and enough consistency over a long period of time.

One interesting thing I've found, too, is that in the past few years I started being able to socialize without drinking a lot easier than I used to. In my late twenties I'd pair most social situations with alcohol, but these days it's more if I feel like a drink.

7. Top | #17
    I do just about all my own cooking and am always watching the culinary travel shows on tv for ideas. I have a few constraints due to the status of my physical and financial health. Low to moderate salt, low cholesterol (as in no butter and little red meat), and low cost. I think there's another flavor out there besides salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami, and that's cheap. When I get something at a great price it just tastes better. I do use good quality spices though. Finding affordable fish has been a problem until the local ShopRite store started having swai on sale for $2.50/pound sold as frozen fillets from Vietnam. Mild with no fishy flavor. So I combined a recipe I saw for an Italian fish stew with a few ingredients from a bouillabaisse recipe from Globe Trekker in Marseille. I can't afford the fancy variety of fishes or the saffron but it still knocks my socks off every time. Basically:

1. Saute some chunks of white potato in 1/4 cup pure olive oil in a large saucepan until just slightly brown.
    2. Add 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp tomato paste, 1 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper.
    3. Deglaze with 1/4 cup chardonnay.
    4. Add 2 cups boiling water (add more as needed).
    5. Add chopped red and yellow bell peppers and zucchini, 2 tsp sweet paprika, 1 tbsp wakame seaweed, 1 tsp Tabasco sauce, 1 bay leaf.
    6. Simmer for 15 minutes and add chopped fillet of swai (right from the freezer).
    7. Simmer 15 - 20 minutes and add 1/4 tsp psyllium powder to thicken + more olive oil to taste.

Yeow! If I could afford it using fresh Chilean sea bass or even cod along with some mussels or clams would bring it to the next level for sure.
    Last edited by Treedbear; 05-15-2018 at 08:11 PM.

8. Top | #18
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Except when they actually work to bring vitamin levels back up. My vitamin D, B12, and calcium have always been deficient, probably cuz it took 6 months of my early life for me t gain any weight at all or grow, so I started on supplements that I went back to when it was found to go low again in certain vitamins at my doctor's advice and by the next month these levels had all evened out without the need or anything prescription wise, not to say there aren't times it doesn't work. Iron supplements for example are notorious for rarely being broken down well by the body, sometimes leading to pockets of iron sitting in the legs instead of being absorbed.
    After I as diagnosed with osteoporosis, I was told by my doctor to take those supplements too. And also folic acid. My B12 I get from monthly cyanocobalamin (sp?) injections. And, yes, it has brought my levels back to normal.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

A multi-vitamin with a good amount of iron keeps me from dealing with restless legs.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts

If you have certain medical conditions, then of course.

There is also value in pregnant women taking vitamins.

However the research says that there is no identifiable value in healthy people taking vitamins, which is how I originally phrased it.
    Last edited by Underseer; 05-17-2018 at 03:57 AM.