Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Tastes change as you age (food)

  1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    76

    Tastes change as you age (food)

    Every so often, I will deliberately eat something that I don't like just to check and see if I still don't like it.

    The biggest shock of my life in this regard was liking blue cheese. Throughout childhood and early adulthood, I hated blue cheese with a burning passion. Then I ate hot wings at a place that didn't have ranch dressing, and found out that I liked it. Now I'm obsessed with blue cheese, especially any combination of blue cheese and beef, or blue cheese and salad.

    Anyway, this afternoon I discovered that I now like cottage cheese. By itself as a side. Is that a sign of aging? Am I ready for a rocking chair and a bottle of Geritol?

    Anyway, what changes in food tastes have happened to you over the years you've been on this planet?

  2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Clearwater, FL.
    Posts
    3,224
    Archived
    6,637
    Total Posts
    9,861
    Rep Power
    72
    I've had similar experiences with blue cheese. I'm partially of Polish heritage, and half the food I grew up with I could not stand. Now I consider most of it delicious. Saur Kraut, Kishka (blood sausage). I also used to dislike bratwurst, now I love it. Same with many spicy foods. I couldn't handle spicy growing up much, but now I like various hot sauces, horseradish, and Latino foods.

  3. Top | #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    699
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Every so often, I will deliberately eat something that I don't like just to check and see if I still don't like it.

    The biggest shock of my life in this regard was liking blue cheese. Throughout childhood and early adulthood, I hated blue cheese with a burning passion. Then I ate hot wings at a place that didn't have ranch dressing, and found out that I liked it. Now I'm obsessed with blue cheese, especially any combination of blue cheese and beef, or blue cheese and salad.

    Anyway, this afternoon I discovered that I now like cottage cheese. By itself as a side. Is that a sign of aging? Am I ready for a rocking chair and a bottle of Geritol?

    Anyway, what changes in food tastes have happened to you over the years you've been on this planet?
    I used to love catsup and hate tomatoes. Now I love tomatoes and don't really like catsup. I used to hate broccoli no matter if raw, cooked or whatever, and cauliflower, and beets. Now I like all 3 (tho broccoli raw is still uck to me, but cooked well and seasoned is delicious).

    As a kid I used to like eating pureed carrots and pureed peas, like right out of a baby food jar, thought it was the best thing ever. Now, the smell alone makes me want to vomit let alone to try and eat it. Same with black licorice, once ate a whole bag at 5 years old, got sick all over the carpet without any warning from my system, and now I hate the smell, taste and everything about it except when anise (the ingredient that makes black licorice look, smell and taste like it does) is in stroepwaffel.

    I won't eat blue cheese except as a rare addition to hot wings, but if they have ranch I'll use that instead.

    I used to hate fish too, and seafood, when I was little, especially sushi. But now they are my favorite foods. I know why too. First time I had smoked white fish, which tasted like bacon, and I was all for re-trying all the rest of it.

    The biggest surprise though is prolly that I dislike catsup now, preferring either no sauce or some sort of mayo or mayo based version of sauce, prolly from my visiting the Netherlands, where a lot of the sauces especially at fast food places are mayo of some type or other. And that I now love tomatoes. They don't even taste the same as when I was a kid, no longer bitter and weird, but sweet and juicy.

    What's up with that? I don't think its my smoking cuz it's only recently it switched out like that, and I've been a smoker since I was about 10 or 11.

  4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    I've had similar experiences with blue cheese. I'm partially of Polish heritage, and half the food I grew up with I could not stand. Now I consider most of it delicious. Saur Kraut, Kishka (blood sausage). I also used to dislike bratwurst, now I love it. Same with many spicy foods. I couldn't handle spicy growing up much, but now I like various hot sauces, horseradish, and Latino foods.
    When I was a kid, sometimes I actually liked natto (I'm half Japanese), other times I hated it. I don't think I've touched the stuff in decades.

    I refused to even try sushi until I was in my early 30s.

    I still don't have the stomach to try lutefisk (I'm also half Norwegian-Swedish). Although I've discovered that I really like sushi, I still can't stand cooked fish unless you count katsuobushi as "cooked."

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDynasty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Every so often, I will deliberately eat something that I don't like just to check and see if I still don't like it.

    The biggest shock of my life in this regard was liking blue cheese. Throughout childhood and early adulthood, I hated blue cheese with a burning passion. Then I ate hot wings at a place that didn't have ranch dressing, and found out that I liked it. Now I'm obsessed with blue cheese, especially any combination of blue cheese and beef, or blue cheese and salad.

    Anyway, this afternoon I discovered that I now like cottage cheese. By itself as a side. Is that a sign of aging? Am I ready for a rocking chair and a bottle of Geritol?

    Anyway, what changes in food tastes have happened to you over the years you've been on this planet?
    I used to love catsup and hate tomatoes. Now I love tomatoes and don't really like catsup. I used to hate broccoli no matter if raw, cooked or whatever, and cauliflower, and beets. Now I like all 3 (tho broccoli raw is still uck to me, but cooked well and seasoned is delicious).

    As a kid I used to like eating pureed carrots and pureed peas, like right out of a baby food jar, thought it was the best thing ever. Now, the smell alone makes me want to vomit let alone to try and eat it. Same with black licorice, once ate a whole bag at 5 years old, got sick all over the carpet without any warning from my system, and now I hate the smell, taste and everything about it except when anise (the ingredient that makes black licorice look, smell and taste like it does) is in stroepwaffel.

    I won't eat blue cheese except as a rare addition to hot wings, but if they have ranch I'll use that instead.

    I used to hate fish too, and seafood, when I was little, especially sushi. But now they are my favorite foods. I know why too. First time I had smoked white fish, which tasted like bacon, and I was all for re-trying all the rest of it.

    The biggest surprise though is prolly that I dislike catsup now, preferring either no sauce or some sort of mayo or mayo based version of sauce, prolly from my visiting the Netherlands, where a lot of the sauces especially at fast food places are mayo of some type or other. And that I now love tomatoes. They don't even taste the same as when I was a kid, no longer bitter and weird, but sweet and juicy.

    What's up with that? I don't think its my smoking cuz it's only recently it switched out like that, and I've been a smoker since I was about 10 or 11.
    Oh. Smoking.

    That could be a factor. I quit smoking about 2 years ago. Perhaps with the increase in smell/taste, cottage cheese is now more flavorful to me?

  5. Top | #5
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    12,721
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    30,934
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post

    Anyway, what changes in food tastes have happened to you over the years you've been on this planet?
    Too many to coherently elaborate. I can't even assign situational conditions under which my taste has changed. My comments are only meant to illustrate that, as my bride recently noted, I do have good taste in things including food.

    I can't trace any beginning or trend in that status beyond that I now use that fact consciously when making decisions. For me taste relates to category like good and bad blue cheese rather than this or that kind of cheese. I approve of most kinds of foods and material things. For instance I don't dislike liver and onions as I once thought, I dislike veiny liver and onions.

    Some might argue with me about what I mean as 'good' though. So here is my view on that. Good relates to culturally accepted norms like Michelin ratings, government standards and standards of satisfaction, etc.

  6. Top | #6
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canada's London
    Posts
    10,265
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    19,779
    Rep Power
    49
    My change in tastes have been mostly nutritional. I've never been a picky eater but I have rid myself of the bad habits my parents instilled in me when I was younger. So late teens / early twenties I was more likely to eat a lot of garbage, these days I don't crave much of that stuff. Food for me now is more about how it makes me feel, rather than how it tastes.

    There are a couple things I didn't like when I was a kid, though, that I like now. Squash being one that comes to mind. As a young kid I think it was the juxtaposition of expecting potatoes and getting squash and thinking 'weird'. My mom also over-cooked red meat whenever we had it, so it took me a while until I realized I could eat it rare.

    On the other hand, when I was a kid I liked escargot, but now I find it a bit strange to eat.

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member Opoponax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    California Central Coast
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDynasty View Post
    I used to love catsup and hate tomatoes...


    For clarity, it's ketchup.

    "Catsup" is some concoction posing as ketchup.

    Ketchup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. Top | #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    737
    Archived
    14,394
    Total Posts
    15,131
    Rep Power
    71
    Not exactly what you asked about, but, I'd always avoided cottage cheese as a child because I didn't like the way it looked. Then I finally tried it a couple of years ago and found I actually like it.

    Back on topic: onions. Really didn't care for them when I was younger, except if they were well fried as in onion rings. Now I love them, especially raw on things like sandwiches or burgers. I don't mind the grilled onions, but prefer them raw.

  9. Top | #9
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    12,721
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    30,934
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDynasty View Post
    I used to love catsup and hate tomatoes...


    For clarity, it's ketchup.

    "Catsup" is some concoction posing as ketchup.

    Ketchup.
    Nope. Whatever Heinz sez is catsup/ketchup is ketchup. All the rest are gravy or soup. Even recent commercials for Heize are wrong. Flow rate should be a consistent 2mm/sec, not first slow then gush. Sure, flow rate depends on accumulated impedance, resistance to gravity from drying at the surface, but continuous low rate should still be a very tedious, agonizing, slow.

  10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    10,169
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    13,824
    Rep Power
    48
    I used to think that I hated vegetables except for raw vegetables or corn or green beans. Turns out I really like vegetables that are not cooked until a soggy, sodden, flavorless, mass that is oversalted.

    There is no reason to ever, ever consider attempting lutefisk. We have modern refrigeration, freezers and other methods of preservation.

Similar Threads

  1. Food porn street food videos
    By Underseer in forum Foods and Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2018, 03:22 AM
  2. Replies: 131
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 08:42 AM
  3. New Way To Fast Food
    By Trausti in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 02:15 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2016, 10:36 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •