Thread: Video essay: Japan's Untouchables

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Video essay: Japan's Untouchables

Many who support racism or other forms of demographic-based bigotry insist that genetics plays a role. This or that minority group deserves to be mistreated by society because their genetics makes them inherently inferior.

The Barakumin of Japan show how the same systemic bigotry works the same way and marginalizes populations even when the oppressed minority has the exact same genetics as the majority population. All you have to do is destroy their future and tell the majority population that they deserved it. Most people are scum and all too willing to believe things like that because hey, if someone else is less, doesn't that mean you are more?

Trigger Warning
    This video strongly implies that abusing minority populations is a bad thing. Certain fragile forum members are advised to avoid watching this video lest their feewings get hurteded.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Interesting, sort of like ritual (in contrast to moral) impurity for the ancient Hebrews as laid out in the Torah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumah_and_taharah

Now, seems like (partially, not at all the only )the side effect of rapid expansion of towns and the specialization into seemingly disease laden jobs that got these people pushed aside. The rest of the people may have actually had less of a chance of getting these diseases, but it came at a high cost to these burakumin people.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The fact is, humans are awful and willing to systemically brutalize entire populations just so they can feel a little superior to someone, then blame the victims for what happened, because if they aren't really inferior, then that would mean I'm not as special and I have to be special. My parents fucked. Doesn't that make me special?

How dare those social justice warriors imply that I'm not special?

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    During the VN War I heard it said people on R$R in Japan saw Japanese Only signs on establishments and in neighborhoods. Korean descend4ents of those brought in during WWII are treated second class.

If you take Japanese citizenship I believe you are required to take a Japanese name, at least for govt purposes.

Jingoism.