Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for newbies?

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm pickpocket-paranoid. In Manhattan, I keep my main spending cash in my sock (riding just above my ankle with a good elastic white gym sock -- I"ve never had it fall out, mainly because it's in a slightly angular billfold.) In my right pocket I keep a "fake" wallet with a few dead credit cards (not with my name on 'em -- promotional cards) in case I get held up or pickpocketed. It contains anywhere from $5 to $15, for small immediate purchases. My real credit cards and ID are in a small memo pad in my shirt pocket (I have a small coin envelope glued into the pad so that the cards won't fall out.) If I need a $20 or $50, I pick a spot in advance where I can access the sock money -- never had a problem with that. I have checked in the mirror and don't think my sock $$$ makes a visible bulge (this plan only works if you wear full-length trou.) I suppose that somewhere there are extra-diligent thieves who would check someone's socks, but really, that kind of crime tends to happen fast, doesn't it? If my fake wallet is grabbed, I'm out a couple of bucks but I have my credit cards, driver's license, with me.

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I carried a fake wallet in Bangkok. I figured if I got robbed, I could give them the fake wallet and keep the real one hidden in my undershirts. Didn't wind up getting mugged or even a pickpocket attempt, but felt prepared.

3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I had somebody try to pickpocket me today from the FRONT pocket. That was bold. My pants were not even very tight. I felt a hand reaching into my front pocket and I was shocked. They did it while it was very busy on the subway and everybody was bumping up against everybody. But still... you feel a hand going ... there... lol It is quite hard to miss.