Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Starbucks?

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    • It's overpriced
    • Ordering is needlessly complicated
    • The coffee genuinely tastes better than the diner coffee I'm used to

Consequently, I don't go there. The good is not enough to outweigh the bad, and to be honest, competition with Starbucks has forced diners to get in the habit of cleaning their coffee machines more often, so the quality of the coffee at any old diner is much improved over what it used to be.

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't drink coffee. I like the scent but not the taste. I don't like the way that Starbucks smells. I think the nomenclature that Starbucks has developed is too precious by half and twice as cumbersome as it should be. Their muffins, etc. are pretty bad. But to be fair, I've only tried it once or twice. Absolutely nothing to draw me back.

3. Top | #13
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    You left off "addictive" on your poll. I've joked many times that years from now evidence will surface that Stabucks adds something to their coffee that causes an addiction similar to the way tobacco companies purposely increase the addictivness of cigarettes.

Up until a few years ago, I was not a coffee drinker at all. I drank tea, never coffee. I still don't drink "coffee" - can't stand it. But I drink Starbucks calories in a cup on a regular basis
    I think you will find that the addictive ingredient in coffee is called 'caffeine', and it is quite well understood to be both addictive and present in coffee from places other than Starbucks too.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'd rate it as passable, nothing fantastic, but the coffee is reasonable and they serve a good a chocolate mud cake.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I drink a lot of coffee. Maybe a gallon a day. This would make Starbucks, or as it's known in my neighborhood, $4bucks, very expensive. When I do drink coffee in a shop, it will be someplace with free refills.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't spend much money with them. I'll start with what I do like:
    1) The cinnamon dolce syrup, which, with a little cream, makes their house coffee a good drink. But fairly caloric.
    2) Their Java Chip Frappuccino ice cream, which, altho' super-high in calories, I used to indulge in a couple times a year. Sooooo good. My grocery store stopped carrying Starbucks pints altogether 2 years ago, and I haven't sought it out elsewhere. Just as well.
    What I don't like:
    1) Their house coffee. Very harsh. Has an oil sheen on top!! The Exxon Valdez went down in your cup! With double the creamer I usually use, I can stand it, but I still don't like it as much as the coffee I get at numerous other places. Drink it black and you have a cup of hot, oily acid.
    2) Those goddamned sizes. I haven't learned them after 20 years because I don't go in enough, so I still have to study the chart every time I go in.
    3) Their tiny, tempting pastries that I never buy because they're about a buck more than I will pay, given their size.
    4) I guess, the general atmosphere and mystique they try to build around their name. I'm more a Panera guy and I like Panera's coffee (and when I blow $3 or $4 on a Panera pastry, that mother is BIG.)

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I've never liked coffee, the only time I have ever been in a Starbucks was when a hiking group used it as a rendezvous point.
    Hope you didn't ask to use the potty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    You left off "addictive" on your poll. I've joked many times that years from now evidence will surface that Stabucks adds something to their coffee that causes an addiction similar to the way tobacco companies purposely increase the addictivness of cigarettes.

Up until a few years ago, I was not a coffee drinker at all. I drank tea, never coffee. I still don't drink "coffee" - can't stand it. But I drink Starbucks calories in a cup on a regular basis
    I think you will find that the addictive ingredient in coffee is called 'caffeine', and it is quite well understood to be both addictive and present in coffee from places other than Starbucks too.
    People don't spend that much money on coffee for the caffeine, they do it for the saturated fats and sugar.

8. Top | #18
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I don't spend much money with them. I'll start with what I do like:
    1) The cinnamon dolce syrup, which, with a little cream, makes their house coffee a good drink. But fairly caloric.
    2) Their Java Chip Frappuccino ice cream, which, altho' super-high in calories, I used to indulge in a couple times a year. Sooooo good. My grocery store stopped carrying Starbucks pints altogether 2 years ago, and I haven't sought it out elsewhere. Just as well.
    What I don't like:
    1) Their house coffee. Very harsh. Has an oil sheen on top!! The Exxon Valdez went down in your cup! With double the creamer I usually use, I can stand it, but I still don't like it as much as the coffee I get at numerous other places. Drink it black and you have a cup of hot, oily acid.
    2) Those goddamned sizes. I haven't learned them after 20 years because I don't go in enough, so I still have to study the chart every time I go in.
    3) Their tiny, tempting pastries that I never buy because they're about a buck more than I will pay, given their size.
    4) I guess, the general atmosphere and mystique they try to build around their name. I'm more a Panera guy and I like Panera's coffee (and when I blow $3 or $4 on a Panera pastry, that mother is BIG.)
    That is a pretty good summary of why I have no use for Starbucks. I like my coffee black-no sugar so Starbucks coffee is just for when there are no other options. For sweet, creamy drinks my choice would be a shake at Baskin-Robbins - much better and much less expensive.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'll go if there's nothing else around.

I used to ride to work with a friend who was crazy about SB....I used to get I think mocha java or something...tasty, but many calories and wickedly acid.

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'd have to repeat the comments that their basic coffee is pretty lack-luster, but then I'm not a fan of most coffees out there.

As far as I can see the appeal is for people who like sugary/fatty drinks, and I'll admit they do that well, but I have no interest in that kind of thing. I tried out the Pumpkin Spiced Latte the last few years, and every time I came away feeling like I had just wasted 3 bucks.

I like my coffee freshly roasted, freshly ground, made out of a french press with a splash of milk or cream. Good coffee, nothing else.