Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan and Vegetarian Cooking

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Vegan and Vegetarian Cooking

I don't have much substantial to include in this post right now, but thought I'd get the thread started anyway.

Partner and I were out at a local vegan restaurant for a second time last night and the food was just phenomenal. It got me to thinking that I really need to spice up the plant based foods that I eat, because when they're done well they're really outstanding.

So here's a thread for simple or not-so-simple ideas for vegan and vegetarian cooking. How do you cook your produce with a bit of flair?

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No flair at all, usually. When stir frying veggies (very little to no oil), I'll use nutmeg or cinnamon or honey mixed with mustard or soy sauce.

I came up with a carrot quesadilla sandwich that uses a lot of shredded carrots, enough sharp cheddar to bind the carrots and place that between two tortillas on a frying pan (or could bake), use no oil and cook it.

There is a mock chicken salad we make that contains a package or two of seitan, two oranges cut up, walnuts, a small onion cut up, cran-raisins, and maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup of light miracle whip or mayo. A ridiculous amount of flavor in what is a mash up of ingredients that you wouldn't really think of combining together.

Portabella for a burger is usually good with balsamic vinaigrette. That burger needs a thick slice of red onion and nice melting cheese (or cheeses). For me Havarti and Swiss, though something sharper might work better with someone else's palette. Geesh, haven't made one of those in a while. Maybe this weekend.

Zucchini and portabella is fun. Stir fry, julienne/cube/slices and bread it (don't forget oats) and fry with oil or bake without oil.

I've learned that cooking is a lot about knowing your base ingredients and just going with it.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yea, with these plant based dishes a lot of the flavour seems to come from the produce itself.

With the vegan restaurants I've been to a lot of it seems to be a solid combination of ingredients with a simple but really nice dressing.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Is there anyone claiming health benefits of veganism? Or is it just a moral choice for those here?

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Vegetables are what you feed to food.

Human digestive systems are built for a mixed diet. So are our teeth. Anything else is moral wishful thinking.

And then there's bacon.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

6. Top | #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Is there anyone claiming health benefits of veganism? Or is it just a moral choice for those here?
    I am not a Vegan, but I can testify that my health improved demonstrably when I went to a mostly-vegetable diet. One of the things that Veganism does by necessity is make it inconvenient to commit a lot of the common food sins that destroy people's waistlines. It's much harder (not impossible, just harder) to eat unhealthily on a strictly animal-less diet.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm not vegan or vegetarian. For a while there my diet was similar to flexitarianism (vegetarian with the occasional meat) but I'm not even sure that's true these days. Mostly I just try to eat a lot of produce regularly, and meat when I want it.

So I made this thread only because I like eating plant-based dishes. I think to some it's inconceivable to eat meals without meat, but to me there's a time and place for it. Sometimes what I need is dense protein, sometimes what I need is a pile of produce with a nice dressing.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I am not a Vegan, but I can testify that my health improved demonstrably when I went to a mostly-vegetable diet. One of the things that Veganism does by necessity is make it inconvenient to commit a lot of the common food sins that destroy people's waistlines. It's much harder (not impossible, just harder) to eat unhealthily on a strictly animal-less diet.
    Same here. The choice has been about health and well-being for me. For one I've lost most of my body-fat outside of the survival mode stuff. And two I just feel better, lighter, and have more energy when I eat more produce.

But I don't think the enemy is meat, so to speak, unless you're making a moral choice. The enemy is refined sugar and all the sweet garbage that people so readily offer others.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I forgot to mention spring rolls. A little brown sugar to a veggie base does wonders to the base in a spring roll.

Also, lets keep this to recipes and cooking. The reasons for vegatarian or derivative diets can go into another thread.

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I forgot to mention spring rolls. A little brown sugar to a veggie base does wonders to the base in a spring roll.

Also, lets keep this to recipes and cooking. The reasons for vegatarian or derivative diets can go into another thread.
    Agreed, seems like we're in an age where one can't mention this kind of thing without it getting political.

But if people want to debate that side of it Plant based Diets would be a good place to do so.