Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Trevor Noah vs. the French

  1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,578
    Archived
    6,261
    Total Posts
    10,839
    Rep Power
    70

    Trevor Noah vs. the French

    So, Trevor Noah got himself into trouble by referring to French footballers "African" instead of French. Here is him responding and calling out the French ambassador's hypocrisy:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COD9hcTpGWQ

  2. Top | #2
    Contributor repoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,448
    Archived
    2,280
    Total Posts
    8,728
    Rep Power
    73

  3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    9,700
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,144
    Rep Power
    70
    I stopped watching the Daily Show when Jon Stewart left. I did try to watch Noah a few times but just found him to be more mean spirited and less funny than Stewart. Stewart had his political battles but didn't forget to add the funny. Samantha Bee took it even further to aggressive and unfunny. Colbert was great on the Colbert Report with his mock character, but isn't so great now that he's on the bigger show. I miss Stewart. I enjoy his occasional appearances on Colbert's new show.

  4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member bleubird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,129
    Archived
    2,737
    Total Posts
    3,866
    Rep Power
    65
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COD9hcTpGWQ
    Jolly,I thought Canadians had a great sense of humor.

  5. Top | #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    always on the move
    Posts
    925
    Archived
    801
    Total Posts
    1,726
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    I stopped watching the Daily Show when Jon Stewart left. I did try to watch Noah a few times but just found him to be more mean spirited and less funny than Stewart. Stewart had his political battles but didn't forget to add the funny. Samantha Bee took it even further to aggressive and unfunny. Colbert was great on the Colbert Report with his mock character, but isn't so great now that he's on the bigger show. I miss Stewart. I enjoy his occasional appearances on Colbert's new show.
    What about John Oliver's show?

    I haven't watched Daily Show regularly for years. Noah isn't as good as Stewart, but he is all right. Saw Noah's stand up and liked it. I like Samantha Bee, but agree Colbert Report was a lot better than his standard late night show.

  6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,329
    Archived
    18,348
    Total Posts
    28,677
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    So, Trevor Noah got himself into trouble by referring to French footballers "African" instead of French. Here is him responding and calling out the French ambassador's hypocrisy:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COD9hcTpGWQ
    It seems about on the same level of stupidness as saying a bunch of Africans won the NBA title. Which is pretty stupid. I'm sure his intent was not to imply they are not *real* Frenchmen, but that's more or less the effect.

  7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    9,700
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,144
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by bleubird View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COD9hcTpGWQ
    Jolly,I thought Canadians had a great sense of humor.
    I went and watched Noah's most recent episode. He has improved a lot. I got a couple of laughs this time. As to Canadians and humor, some do. I am not a fan of whiny Seth Meyers (he is Canadian) but Michael Meyers (Canadian) used to crack me up.

    Oliver can be great, though he sometimes doesn't do his research well. I definitely get laughs out of him.

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    2,590
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    6,452
    Rep Power
    71
    Trevor was right to say what he did. I've come to like him better than Stewart. Jon was good, but after he left, it was obvious to me that it was the show and its writers that brought out the best in Stewart. I've seen Jon several times since he left. He was kind of pitiful. Trevor's standup is better than Jon's imo. But again, the show is more than its host. The host doesn't write all of the skits and jokes. Let's not forget that. I would agree that Cobert is the best late night host, but there are a few others that I also like to watch.

    It's also sad that some of the French didn't get the message behind the Trevor's humor. Being able to laugh at yourself is a admirable quality, imo.

  9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,329
    Archived
    18,348
    Total Posts
    28,677
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Trevor was right to say what he did. I've come to like him better than Stewart. Jon was good, but after he left, it was obvious to me that it was the show and its writers that brought out the best in Stewart. I've seen Jon several times since he left. He was kind of pitiful. Trevor's standup is better than Jon's imo. But again, the show is more than its host. The host doesn't write all of the skits and jokes. Let's not forget that. I would agree that Cobert is the best late night host, but there are a few others that I also like to watch.

    It's also sad that some of the French didn't get the message behind the Trevor's humor. Being able to laugh at yourself is a admirable quality, imo.
    So, if being born and raised in France is not enough, how many generations do you think someone's ancestors have to be in France before they become French?

  10. Top | #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cascadia
    Posts
    1,128
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dismal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Trevor was right to say what he did. I've come to like him better than Stewart. Jon was good, but after he left, it was obvious to me that it was the show and its writers that brought out the best in Stewart. I've seen Jon several times since he left. He was kind of pitiful. Trevor's standup is better than Jon's imo. But again, the show is more than its host. The host doesn't write all of the skits and jokes. Let's not forget that. I would agree that Cobert is the best late night host, but there are a few others that I also like to watch.

    It's also sad that some of the French didn't get the message behind the Trevor's humor. Being able to laugh at yourself is a admirable quality, imo.
    So, if being born and raised in France is not enough, how many generations do you think someone's ancestors have to be in France before they become French?
    A helluva lot less time than it might take some poor sucker who was born and raised in New England to become a 'Texan', or vice versa. Particularly if their skin is not the 'right' color. Shit, we still have people in places in the US who cannot vote, despite their families having lived in the location for multiple generations.

Similar Threads

  1. Noah and the flood
    By steve_bank in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 09-22-2018, 01:57 PM
  2. Trever Noah on the Daily Show
    By Blahface in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-19-2015, 03:57 AM
  3. No competition please, we are French
    By Derec in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-30-2015, 04:25 PM
  4. All the things on Noah's boat
    By Rhea in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 05:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •