Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Noah vs. the French

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Trevor Noah vs. the French

So, Trevor Noah got himself into trouble by referring to French footballers "African" instead of French. Here is him responding and calling out the French ambassador's hypocrisy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COD9hcTpGWQ

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I stopped watching the Daily Show when Jon Stewart left. I did try to watch Noah a few times but just found him to be more mean spirited and less funny than Stewart. Stewart had his political battles but didn't forget to add the funny. Samantha Bee took it even further to aggressive and unfunny. Colbert was great on the Colbert Report with his mock character, but isn't so great now that he's on the bigger show. I miss Stewart. I enjoy his occasional appearances on Colbert's new show.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Jolly,I thought Canadians had a great sense of humor.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    I stopped watching the Daily Show when Jon Stewart left. I did try to watch Noah a few times but just found him to be more mean spirited and less funny than Stewart. Stewart had his political battles but didn't forget to add the funny. Samantha Bee took it even further to aggressive and unfunny. Colbert was great on the Colbert Report with his mock character, but isn't so great now that he's on the bigger show. I miss Stewart. I enjoy his occasional appearances on Colbert's new show.
    What about John Oliver's show?

I haven't watched Daily Show regularly for years. Noah isn't as good as Stewart, but he is all right. Saw Noah's stand up and liked it. I like Samantha Bee, but agree Colbert Report was a lot better than his standard late night show.

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    So, Trevor Noah got himself into trouble by referring to French footballers "African" instead of French. Here is him responding and calling out the French ambassador's hypocrisy:

It seems about on the same level of stupidness as saying a bunch of Africans won the NBA title. Which is pretty stupid. I'm sure his intent was not to imply they are not *real* Frenchmen, but that's more or less the effect.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bleubird View Post
    Jolly,I thought Canadians had a great sense of humor.
    I went and watched Noah's most recent episode. He has improved a lot. I got a couple of laughs this time. As to Canadians and humor, some do. I am not a fan of whiny Seth Meyers (he is Canadian) but Michael Meyers (Canadian) used to crack me up.

Oliver can be great, though he sometimes doesn't do his research well. I definitely get laughs out of him.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Trevor was right to say what he did. I've come to like him better than Stewart. Jon was good, but after he left, it was obvious to me that it was the show and its writers that brought out the best in Stewart. I've seen Jon several times since he left. He was kind of pitiful. Trevor's standup is better than Jon's imo. But again, the show is more than its host. The host doesn't write all of the skits and jokes. Let's not forget that. I would agree that Cobert is the best late night host, but there are a few others that I also like to watch.

It's also sad that some of the French didn't get the message behind the Trevor's humor. Being able to laugh at yourself is a admirable quality, imo.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Trevor was right to say what he did. I've come to like him better than Stewart. Jon was good, but after he left, it was obvious to me that it was the show and its writers that brought out the best in Stewart. I've seen Jon several times since he left. He was kind of pitiful. Trevor's standup is better than Jon's imo. But again, the show is more than its host. The host doesn't write all of the skits and jokes. Let's not forget that. I would agree that Cobert is the best late night host, but there are a few others that I also like to watch.

It's also sad that some of the French didn't get the message behind the Trevor's humor. Being able to laugh at yourself is a admirable quality, imo.
    So, if being born and raised in France is not enough, how many generations do you think someone's ancestors have to be in France before they become French?

10. Top | #10
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dismal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post

So, if being born and raised in France is not enough, how many generations do you think someone's ancestors have to be in France before they become French?
    A helluva lot less time than it might take some poor sucker who was born and raised in New England to become a 'Texan', or vice versa. Particularly if their skin is not the 'right' color. Shit, we still have people in places in the US who cannot vote, despite their families having lived in the location for multiple generations.