Thread: General Photography Thread

1. Top | #21
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    No pics to post but..

I'm going on the trip of a lifetime at the end of September and I'm thinking about upgrading my digital camera. Could anyone point me in the right direction for something in the 400 - 600 range? I don't need fireworks, just an all around solid entry-level camera.
    I like the info available here. Cheaper cameras mean giving and taking on what you really want verses what you are willing to give up.
    Thanks.

I think I may have to spend some time researching when I get a chance. All I know that I *want* at this point is for whatever is taking the pictures I want to not screw it up. Crispness and clarity would also be nice.

My current digital camera is over 10 years old and is likely outclassed by my phone. I've heard I'll get an edge from a modern, entry-level DSLR over the phone, though.

2. Top | #22
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    No pics to post but..

I'm going on the trip of a lifetime at the end of September and I'm thinking about upgrading my digital camera. Could anyone point me in the right direction for something in the 400 - 600 range? I don't need fireworks, just an all around solid entry-level camera.
    I like the info available here. Cheaper cameras mean giving and taking on what you really want verses what you are willing to give up.
    I have older models of Nikon and Canon that I've really liked. Easy to use, versatile, convenient. New Nikon cameras now have instant bridging to phone or tablet for instant sharing of photos, which seems like it would be convenient.

One of the things I'm really looking forward to about retirement is being able to spend more time actually learning more about the capabilities of my current cameras and how to make the best use of them ===and hopefully getting into some others.

3. Top | #23
    Phones make all of the decisions and make with the post processing. There is no artistic effort with a phone camera.
    I'm not totally unsympathetic to that point, but I respectfully disagree.

Unless you only use your SLR on fully manual, then you are getting 'automatic assistance'. Heck, even using a zoom lens is arguably 'cheating' (though I myself don't see that as a problem). It's all on a spectrum. Even Canaletto apparently used a camera obscura when painting.

There is imo plenty of room for creativity. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for me, the key artistic skill is in the seeing and/or composing of the shot.
    Last edited by ruby sparks; 07-26-2018 at 10:30 AM.

4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Phones make all of the decisions and make with the post processing. There is no artistic effort with a phone camera.
    I'm not totally unsympathetic to that point, but I respectfully disagree.

Unless you only use your SLR on fully manual, then you are getting 'automatic assistance'.
    The comparison is only accurate if you are shooting in P mode. Personally, I almost exclusively shoot in M Mode. Granted, there is help in the camera for things like dynamic resolution and white balance. But if you use a camera, it is wholly automatic... and the pic is mostly about where you are, than photography.
    There is imo plenty of room for creativity. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for me, the key artistic skill is in the seeing and/or composing of the shot.
    I remember not knowing enough about photography back in the day (compared to my woeful level these days) and having a shot composed that was magazine worthy. To the eye, it was brilliant! To a person who knew how to take a picture, it'd win contests. My shot sucked ass and was completely wrong, and quite humbling. Had I had a Galaxy s8+ HDR probably would have come out perfectly. But at that point, who cares. If anyone can take the pic thanks to technology, who cares.

5. Top | #25
    The comparison is only accurate if you are shooting in P mode. Personally, I almost exclusively shoot in M Mode. Granted, there is help in the camera for things like dynamic resolution and white balance. But if you use a camera, it is wholly automatic... and the pic is mostly about where you are, than photography.
    I remember not knowing enough about photography back in the day (compared to my woeful level these days) and having a shot composed that was magazine worthy. To the eye, it was brilliant! To a person who knew how to take a picture, it'd win contests. My shot sucked ass and was completely wrong, and quite humbling. Had I had a Galaxy s8+ HDR probably would have come out perfectly. But at that point, who cares. If anyone can take the pic thanks to technology, who cares.
    I mean, I partly agree with you. For example, shooting only in M-mode does mean that you are exercising more skill and creativity. But as you acknowledge, any camera, in the final analysis, is 'help'.

And yes, there is the phenomenon of '(almost) anyone being able to take that pic' when the camera is giving large amounts of help.

That said, I tend to think that the cameras nowadays are offering mostly 'non-artistic' help. Though even that's not true, what with the vast range of in-camera and post-production effects available. All of which are in essence 'cheats' in a way, of course. Cheating has always been around. I mentioned Canaletto. I also read that back in the days of celluloid, many of the top photographers, who were getting paid enough to justify it, shot rolls and rolls just to get one good pic.

Anyhows, the sort of photography that I enjoy and admire the most is more about 'seeing (and composing) the shot', which, thankfully, as far as I know, technology has not yet really invaded. I'm not so much into technical perfection. When I'm out and about with a camera, the pleasure is mostly in my head and the way looking for shots enhances the ways I see the world. I would argue that a phone camera is still a valid tool for this.

A typical example might be:

or

or at a pinch...

I do see your point though. And if you can operate in M-mode then that is admirable and more personally creative. I sometimes (with my SLR) try to get back into M-mode but I seem to have forgotten all the things I once half knew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Top | #26
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A good guitarist can make any guitar sound good. A bad guitarist..

The idea that the settings you use on the camera are a major component of the artistry process, and not the external composition of your photos is strange to me. A good camera is a better tool, but the picture comes from the photographer themselves. I've known professional photographers with fantastic equipment who take terrible photos, and with no experience I've taken a large number of classic photos with just point and click on auto.

I mean, yea, a mastery of settings is going to lend itself to better photos, but I think that over-states photography as a technical skill, and under-states it as a humanistic one.

7. Top | #27
    I'm just wondering. This is an excellent pic. Open question to all readers: are there, or is there any good reason why there aren't, phone cameras that have all or many of the creative user-settings that 'traditional' cameras have, such as extended shutter speeds, ISO choices, aperture settings (or the digital equivalent) to control depth of field, or focus control to experiment with intentional blur (as in my 'red' pic above, taken with an SLR on manual focus)? Maybe such things already exist and I am behind the curve.

Unless I'm mistaken, I seem to recall a professional photographer friend of mine having, a few years ago, some kind of app (and a set of lens adaptors such as phands mentioned) which effectively allowed him to use his phone camera a lot like an SLR.

Another fab feature would be an ability to save pics in RAW format, since, if you're going to play with/improve them after, RAW is so much better at preserving image quality while you're tampering.
    Last edited by ruby sparks; 07-26-2018 at 11:43 PM.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That's just no longer true. My Galaxy Note 8 has full manual control, and some of my pictures, I think, are very artistic.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

9. Top | #29
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks the banning of Phone Cameras has made the thread less attractive.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Um...are you going to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour...?