Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here been to Burning Man?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Anybody here been to Burning Man?

I'm considering going. Enough people have told me that I "have to have gone at least once in my life".

Is it as mindblowingly cool as everybody says it is? I've gotten the impression that it's mostly an over-sold rave party with art installations. Is it? Is it something more?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, it's quite an experience.
    Bring plenty of water.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    It used to be. Now it’s a bunch of trust fund babies and billionaires shitting in their carbon footprints and pretending it’s all sustainable. But if you bring enough drugs, you’ll probably get laid.

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A few of my old friends go regularly, and they're among the coolest people I know, so there's that.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Koyaanisqatsi said:
    It used to be. Now it’s a bunch of trust fund babies and billionaires shitting in their carbon footprints and pretending it’s all sustainable. But if you bring enough drugs, you’ll probably get laid.
    Or busted.
    The local sherrif's department sends deputies in to 'patrol' (read: gawk).

If you want to get laid, though, you can always put a request up on a bulletin board.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    Yeah I haven't been yet but apparently the techies ruined it.

May be worth checking out though.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That's exactly what I always thoght it was, and hope it is. So thanks for confirming it. Sounds like just the kind of place for me.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Yeah I haven't been yet but apparently the techies ruined it.

May be worth checking out though.
    Ehe... the techies built that place. That's why Burning Man is famous. Do you think a bunch of hippies are capable of doing anything of value? It's Silicone Valley money that made Burning Man. I've met plenty of tech billionairs who think of Burning Man as their annual Christmas party of sorts. I've met people who say they only go to network.

The Burning Man ethos and principals were always bullshit. That's the charm of it. It's so incredibly hypocritical. The carbon foot print of that party is preposterously high. It's also hillarious that it's supposed to somehow be a statement against capitalism. A metaphorical burning of "the man". When it's nothing but massive validation of that capitalism is great. And that you need lots of money to make a good party.

It's also funny how one of their main tennets is "inclusivity". A party far out in the sticks where you have to take care of all your personal survival needs and nothing is catered to you is a huge filter against poor people. I don't mind. I like partying with rich people. They have more drugs and bigger boobs.

A friend who went to Africa Burn called it "the whitest party in Africa". Inclusiveness... lol.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I should point out that I've been to "Borderlands" five times. It's the Scandinavian version of Burning Man. 3 500 people instead of 35 000. So I'm well aware of the concept. I just got back from it yesterday. I banged more hot chicks each day than I did all the rest of last year put together. It was a week long orgy of drugs and sex. Which is just my thing. All good.

But I live in Scandinavia. It's just next door. This year the burn was litterally an hour away from my flat by car. Burning Man in USA is a major project. And I don't trust Burners when they talk about it. They treat it like a sacred pilgrimage. I don't identify as a Burner. I think the principals are a total joke. To me it's just another themed dress up party with LED lights. But I've been told that most visitors to the main Burning Man also don't take it seriously. So that's all good. At the Scandinavian one a distressingly high percentage took that shit litterally.

So my question is really... for somebody who likes going to local Burns... is the big one in USA really worth it.

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    I banged more hot chicks each day than I did all the rest of last year put together. It was a week long orgy of drugs and sex. Which is just my thing. All good.
    Sounds exhausting