Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here been to Burning Man?

1. Top | #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    I'm considering going. Enough people have told me that I "have to have gone at least once in my life".

Is it as mindblowingly cool as everybody says it is? I've gotten the impression that it's mostly an over-sold rave party with art installations. Is it? Is it something more?
    I've been to Some Kind of Jam and other "music" festivals where drugs are easy, and sleep never happens. I was once asked by a college dude, after a speech on recreational marijuana and medical use legal constraints, if I'd go to Burning Man.

It seems overly-hyped to me. I like the other smaller music fests cuz of the glass blowing, pot-laced scrumptiousness of the food and the people are generally less crazed and on less stupid shit like ketamine and coke, just weed and maybe shrooms, possibly nitrous.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDynasty View Post
    I'm considering going. Enough people have told me that I "have to have gone at least once in my life".

Is it as mindblowingly cool as everybody says it is? I've gotten the impression that it's mostly an over-sold rave party with art installations. Is it? Is it something more?
    I've been to Some Kind of Jam and other "music" festivals where drugs are easy, and sleep never happens. I was once asked by a college dude, after a speech on recreational marijuana and medical use legal constraints, if I'd go to Burning Man.

It seems overly-hyped to me. I like the other smaller music fests cuz of the glass blowing, pot-laced scrumptiousness of the food and the people are generally less crazed and on less stupid shit like ketamine and coke, just weed and maybe shrooms, possibly nitrous.
    Since it's the most hyped party in the world... obviously it's over hyped. How could it not be?

A good thing about Burning Man type events is that it's on purpose designed NOT to be a safe space. There's no security. There's nobody to look after you if you fuck up. That leads to a more adult and moderate drug use. People aren't so young. In the Scandinavian one drugs were everywhere. Use was rampant. But I didn't see anybody dosed to the rafters. People were just delightfully chemically enhanced. That entire week I only heard of one incident of a guy needed taking care of. He dosed LSD very high and had a bad trip. Other burners calmed him down. End of drama.

3. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDynasty View Post

Since it's the most hyped party in the world... obviously it's over hyped. How could it not be?

A good thing about Burning Man type events is that it's on purpose designed NOT to be a safe space. There's no security. There's nobody to look after you if you fuck up. That leads to a more adult and moderate drug use. People aren't so young. In the Scandinavian one drugs were everywhere. Use was rampant. But I didn't see anybody dosed to the rafters. People were just delightfully chemically enhanced. That entire week I only heard of one incident of a guy needed taking care of. He dosed LSD very high and had a bad trip. Other burners calmed him down. End of drama.
    I will say I agree with festivals like Burning Man, while drug use is everywhere it's usually low key or long and slow, much safer than with people trying to hide it from security or your parents or something equally as stupid.

Most people at each fest I was at just toked up the whole weekend, unless they were huffing nitrous or doing shrooms, no LSD that I knew of. I did know 2 people that went with us once, who ended up getting married not long after in a shotgun wedding an are still 8 years alter together, who did some crazy shit, MDMA or GHB or maybe both. The guy couldn't stop talking and giggling about the road moving every time he took a step and it trying to run away from him, and then he got kinda freaked out about it, so the guys I was with calmed him down after about 2 hours and got him to smoke up and after a blunt or two he was okay. Well, okay for him. He was odd to start with.