Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe a Different Angle on the Veracity of Climate Change

1. Top | #1
    Senior Member Alcoholic Actuary's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Maybe a Different Angle on the Veracity of Climate Change

I know most people would rather drink antifreeze than trust an insurance company. But the largest of us (reinsurers) are putting our money where climate science's mouth is.

Major hurricanes now once a decade — not once a century, top reinsurance firm says

Munich-re-to-back-away-from-coal-related-business

http://www.actuarialpost.co.uk/artic...nergy-4250.htm

Just consider that in the near future your insurance rates are going to increase precisely because of climate change - and there is nothing your tiny climate denier brain can do about it. If you don't like science, follow the money. We are not hedge funds and do not make bets of this size based on whimsical data. Think about the total cost to you the next time you hear news like this: White House Proposal Rolls Back Fuel Economy Standards, No Exception For California, instead of posting your 'haha California sux' memes.

aa

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So now the actuaries are in on it. Who will be next to fall to Them?

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When both for-profit companies and the U.S Military take climate change seriously, you have to wonder what it would take to convince right-wing conservatives to take it seriously.

Perhaps we can blame climate change for immigration, terrorism, and the Clinton Foundation.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    When both for-profit companies and the U.S Military take climate change seriously, you have to wonder what it would take to convince right-wing conservatives to take it seriously.

Perhaps we can blame climate change for immigration, terrorism, and the Clinton Foundation.
    You have the causation reversed: Clinton caused climate change and climate change hysteria.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcoholic Actuary View Post
    I know most people would rather drink antifreeze than trust an insurance company. But the largest of us (reinsurers) are putting our money where climate science's mouth is.

Major hurricanes now once a decade — not once a century, top reinsurance firm says

Just consider that in the near future your insurance rates are going to increase precisely because of climate change - and there is nothing your tiny climate denier brain can do about it. If you don't like science, follow the money. We are not hedge funds and do not make bets of this size based on whimsical data. Think about the total cost to you the next time you hear news like this: White House Proposal Rolls Back Fuel Economy Standards, No Exception For California, instead of posting your 'haha California sux' memes.

aa
    An honest question to you Actuary. If I live in St. Louis, Mo, how come my insurance is going to go up because some idiot is still building a house on the coast of the hurricane side of Florida? Why does my insurance in the midwest have to go up because dumb asses are building homes in the pine tinder of California? Yes, I know such a question might not be relevant to your OP and may not even be a question the insurance companies want to be honest about either.

But it is surely foremost on my mind when I hear my insurance rates are about to go up. The climate where I live is just fine.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You could deal with an insurance company that only deals with Eastern Missouri properties.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts

aa
    Insurance companies do not determine what is and is not valid science.

Oil and coal companies do not determine what is and is not valid science.

Preachers do not determine what is and is not valid science.

Naturopathy/homeopathy snake oil salesmen do not determine what is and is not valid science.

Climate change is a fact. Anyone who believes otherwise is welcome to use their superior understanding of climatology to produce a climate model that generates more accurate predictions than the currently accepted climate model. I'm getting sick and tired of people trying to make science claims without doing the science part. This is getting ludicrous.

Publish or shut the fuck up.

8. Top | #8
    Senior Member Alcoholic Actuary's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post

aa
    An honest question to you Actuary. If I live in St. Louis, Mo, how come my insurance is going to go up because some idiot is still building a house on the coast of the hurricane side of Florida? Why does my insurance in the midwest have to go up because dumb asses are building homes in the pine tinder of California? Yes, I know such a question might not be relevant to your OP and may not even be a question the insurance companies want to be honest about either.

But it is surely foremost on my mind when I hear my insurance rates are about to go up. The climate where I live is just fine.
    Missouri sits on the New Madrid fault line. https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news...ous-earthquake

You are being charged an appropriate amount of insurance for the risk that you (and only you) are subject to. Also tornado and hail activity has picked up significantly over the past 5 years in the mid-west/southwest area (due to global warming).

You are not paying more for hurricanes in FL or Wildfires in CA. But Property rates across the US are going to go up.

aa

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There is also the ponzi scheme aspect and the possibility of the government backstopping some of the losses.

I would think that the insurance companies might not fully need to take into account the actual damage global warming will do. Kind of scary.

The global warming train has only just starting picking up speed. Only a staggering depopulation followed by carbon sequestration (burying biochar and so on) would possibly reverse it. Our goose is cooked. Just a matter of riding it out for probably tens of thousands of years for our descendants. Yay.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...-warming-last/

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    In 40 or 50 years the Trump family will be able to dock their boat at Trump Tower.