Page 94 of 95 FirstFirst ... 448492939495 LastLast

Thread: Foodie Thread

1. Top | #931
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Split pea and ham soup with baked cheese puffs, bitches!

I hadn't made the puffs before and I ended up adding a little milk because the mixture was so dry. But now I see that is how it should be for them to be proper puffs instead of crisps. But omg are they delicious.

Soup's not done yet but smells like my best attempt so far. I added kale and mustard powder this time.

Last edited by Angry Floof; 02-16-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

2. Top | #932
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have been getting into baking recently. Here are my first efforts, every one delicious, as it turns out ...

Banana bread

Speculaas cake

Sponge cake with (a little too much) buttercream

Sponge cake with glacé cherries and icing

3. Top | #933
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Another sponge, with strawberry-flavoured icing. I made this one with half-and-half brown and white sugar, hence the darker colour ...

4. Top | #934
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Rather ambitious, I thought, and it came out nicely ... Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

5. Top | #935
    Archived
    Total Posts
    And some chicken ... emmm ... burritos? enchiladas? Whatever ...

6. Top | #936
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I made spaghetti casserole using spaghetti squash instead of noodles. Turned out great.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

7. Top | #937
    I've been attempting to bake myself some good artisenal-style bread for several years now. Needs to have a crispy crust, soft crumb with lots of air holes, and of course good hearty taste. I finally made it all come together since I bought a small dutch oven (a Staub 4 qt cocotte). I've got a large size toaster oven with convection by Oster so it fits with room to spare. Been using it for braising meat dishes and it works great. But I also heard it can be used for bread. Can it ever! First try and the results were exactly as prescribed. At the same time I tried a new bread recipe that called for beer and all I had in the house was a Yuengling porter. As it turns out porters and stouts are the perfect choice because they have lots of complex malty flavors and less hops which tend to just leave their bitterness after baking. Actually I've been looking for how to add malt to the recipe all along since I see it on the ingredients of most breads. But I couldn't find a source. Duh, it's in beer! So now my adventure continues trying every kind of porter and stout I can lay my hands on. Just got a Founders Imperial Stout, which is a bit high end. I'm not a big beer drinker but now I have an excuse to explore some of the more refined examples.

The recipe is very easy -
    Combine 2 cups AP flour + 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast + 1/2 tsp salt + water (I forget how much at the moment) + 2 oz beer + 1 tsp white vinegar. Mix well with a large spoon. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let ferment for 8 to 18 hours (I do 18 in a proofing box I bought). Place dough on a lightly floured surface and kneed about 20 times by hand. Form a ball and place on a longish piece of greased parchment paper in about a 10" skillet (this helps hold the shape). Cover with a towel (or place back in the proofing box with a tray of water for humidity) and let rise for 2 hours. Half an hour before baking heat the cocotte in the oven at 450F. Make a 1/2 inch deep slash across the top of the dough with a sharp knife. Remove the cocotte from the oven and lower the dough into it using the parchment paper. Let the paper hang over the edges and place cover on top. Bake at 425F for 30 min covered and then 20 min uncovered. Takes a long time but not much of it's actual hands-on. No need for a fancy mixer with a dough hook either. I can even prep the dough after work during the week and bake it the next evening.
    Last edited by Treedbear; 03-19-2019 at 07:52 PM.

8. Top | #938
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Merguez and couscous with vegetables in tomato and ras el hanout sauce:

Followed by Coconut and Pecan Sponge Cake:

9. Top | #939
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wanted to make a hearty stew with what I have on hand so I don't have to go out to the store. It's one of those days where I felt like I had nothing in the cupboard, but then it turned out I had plenty. So I made sweet potato chickpea kale soup.

Sauted onion in olive oil, added beef broth, diced sw potatoes, a can of chickpeas, and a cup or so of frozen kale. Seasoned with garlic, basil, oregano, and a couple other spices I forget now, plus salt and pepper.
    The Authoritarians

10. Top | #940
    Figured out why my cannellini bean and leak soup wasn't very good. NOT ENOUGH GARLIC!
    In a large sauce pan -
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 1 bulb garlic, diced
    • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

When garlic blooms, add -
    • 1/2 cup hot water
    • 2 large dried bay leaves
    • 3 oz green tops from leeks, fine chopped
    • 1 celery stalk, 1/4" chopped

Cover and simmer for 20 min. Add -
    • 4 oz white leek stalk, 1/4" chopped
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 2, 15 oz cans organic cannellini beans, undrained
    • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    • 8 oz white button mushrooms, 1/2" chopped
    • 1/8 cup olive oil
    • some parsley, fine minced

Cover and simmer for 20 min.

Freezes very well, making it a winner. Next time will double the recipe.
    Last edited by Treedbear; 03-26-2019 at 08:35 PM.