Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 488896979899 LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 985

Thread: Foodie Thread

  1. Top | #971
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Floridas
    Posts
    5,596
    Archived
    13,541
    Total Posts
    19,137
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Foraged mushrooms

    My Italian great grandmother used to forage for mushrooms.To make sure she didn't accidentally get a toadstool she would always put a coin in with them when she cooked them.If it turned black she knew there were toadstools in there and she would throw them out. Most of her harvest she canned to eat later.Problem was she started to get forgetful , and would some times forget to put the coin in. The whole family knew to avoid the cans with more recent dates on them.

  2. Top | #972
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    11,741
    Archived
    8,254
    Total Posts
    19,995
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas II View Post
    Goddammit! You guys are making me hungry, and I just ate!
    I've got some parmesan tornado sweet potatoes in the oven right now. Will have pics shortly.

    I found it easier to just slice them and then put each slice on the skewer. I'm not the most coordinated so my spirals were not making thin enough slices. This is one sweet potato.

    I love sweet potatoes!


  3. Top | #973
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,353
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Potoooooooo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Foraged mushrooms

    My Italian great grandmother used to forage for mushrooms.To make sure she didn't accidentally get a toadstool she would always put a coin in with them when she cooked them.If it turned black she knew there were toadstools in there and she would throw them out. Most of her harvest she canned to eat later.Problem was she started to get forgetful , and would some times forget to put the coin in. The whole family knew to avoid the cans with more recent dates on them.
    A coin is not a reliable indicator of toxicity. At all.

    But don't worry - all fungi are edible.

    But some are only edible once.

  4. Top | #974
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    9,122
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    23,557
    Rep Power
    58
    Apricot souffle, bitches.

    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  5. Top | #975
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Floridas
    Posts
    5,596
    Archived
    13,541
    Total Posts
    19,137
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potoooooooo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Foraged mushrooms

    My Italian great grandmother used to forage for mushrooms.To make sure she didn't accidentally get a toadstool she would always put a coin in with them when she cooked them.If it turned black she knew there were toadstools in there and she would throw them out. Most of her harvest she canned to eat later.Problem was she started to get forgetful , and would some times forget to put the coin in. The whole family knew to avoid the cans with more recent dates on them.
    A coin is not a reliable indicator of toxicity. At all.

    But don't worry - all fungi are edible.

    But some are only edible once.
    Well, like my grandfather once said "There are plenty of old mushroom hunters, and plenty of bold mushroom hunters...but there are no old bold mushroom hunters"

  6. Top | #976
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    2,369
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    2,543
    Rep Power
    24
    Bought some blackberries from the market today. I always grab either blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. The strawberries looked good; very red and ready to eat.
    When I was a kid, mom used to slice and mash them up with the potato masher and add sugar and whole milk. Of course whole milk. The milk would get kind of pink. Oh, that was so good.
    The blueberries were on sale. Pass.
    Now the blackberries, the blackberries were in cardboard containers. Oh, they look good. Real good. Should I get two? Blackberries in cardboard containers only come around once a year. But, so often, all the beauty of fruit is but skin deep and I've been burned before. Better just to buy one and cut my disappointment in half.
    So I get them home and remove the cellophane held on by a rubber band. I like that. Kind of homey. Better than popping open a plastic container. I try one and it's perfect. For all these years I've been buying blackberries, they have always been average at best. Kind of disappointed in myself for not getting two.
    Actually they reminded me of the blackberries we used to pick when I was a kid. My mom, my sister, and I would pick them from the field across the street. If we got enough, mom would make blackberry pie. These were those blackberries, somewhat tart. I remember that tartness would stand up to the sugar added to the pie filling and go so well together. I can remember weaving my arm between the thorns to reach in for the berries. What a challenge and what a reward for a little kid. One time I hear my mom screaming. I look around and there she goes! Running, screaming, arms flailing. It was funny. I was a little kid. I wasn't real big on empathy yet. I guess mom found some wasps. Oh and she dropped her blackberries. There may not be enough for a pie now. That's all I remember about that.

    Anyways, here's my blackberries:

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dwight

  7. Top | #977
    Mrs Frizzle gmbteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    At home, when I am not at work.
    Posts
    9,714
    Archived
    1,499
    Total Posts
    11,213
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Bought some blackberries from the market today. I always grab either blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. The strawberries looked good; very red and ready to eat.
    When I was a kid, mom used to slice and mash them up with the potato masher and add sugar and whole milk. Of course whole milk. The milk would get kind of pink. Oh, that was so good.
    The blueberries were on sale. Pass.
    Now the blackberries, the blackberries were in cardboard containers. Oh, they look good. Real good. Should I get two? Blackberries in cardboard containers only come around once a year. But, so often, all the beauty of fruit is but skin deep and I've been burned before. Better just to buy one and cut my disappointment in half.
    So I get them home and remove the cellophane held on by a rubber band. I like that. Kind of homey. Better than popping open a plastic container. I try one and it's perfect. For all these years I've been buying blackberries, they have always been average at best. Kind of disappointed in myself for not getting two.
    Actually they reminded me of the blackberries we used to pick when I was a kid. My mom, my sister, and I would pick them from the field across the street. If we got enough, mom would make blackberry pie. These were those blackberries, somewhat tart. I remember that tartness would stand up to the sugar added to the pie filling and go so well together. I can remember weaving my arm between the thorns to reach in for the berries. What a challenge and what a reward for a little kid. One time I hear my mom screaming. I look around and there she goes! Running, screaming, arms flailing. It was funny. I was a little kid. I wasn't real big on empathy yet. I guess mom found some wasps. Oh and she dropped her blackberries. There may not be enough for a pie now. That's all I remember about that.

    Anyways, here's my blackberries:

    I contemplated buying blackberries today too, but balked at paying $55 a kilo for them! Got a couple of Dino plums and some strawberries instead.

  8. Top | #978
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    14,325
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    17,359
    Rep Power
    85
    Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

    Yummy and quick.
    ITMFA

    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

  9. Top | #979
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,353
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

    Yummy and quick.
    Er... if it's not lamb or mutton, it's a cottage pie, not a shepherd's pie.

  10. Top | #980
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    14,325
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    17,359
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

    Yummy and quick.
    Er... if it's not lamb or mutton, it's a cottage pie, not a shepherd's pie.
    Food nazi.

    ITMFA

    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

Similar Threads

  1. The Tea Thread
    By rousseau in forum Foods and Recipes
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 08-17-2019, 08:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •