Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 488896979899 LastLast

Thread: Foodie Thread

1. Top | #971
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Foraged mushrooms

My Italian great grandmother used to forage for mushrooms.To make sure she didn't accidentally get a toadstool she would always put a coin in with them when she cooked them.If it turned black she knew there were toadstools in there and she would throw them out. Most of her harvest she canned to eat later.Problem was she started to get forgetful , and would some times forget to put the coin in. The whole family knew to avoid the cans with more recent dates on them.

2. Top | #972
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas II View Post
    Goddammit! You guys are making me hungry, and I just ate!
    I've got some parmesan tornado sweet potatoes in the oven right now. Will have pics shortly.

I found it easier to just slice them and then put each slice on the skewer. I'm not the most coordinated so my spirals were not making thin enough slices. This is one sweet potato.

I love sweet potatoes!

3. Top | #973
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Potoooooooo View Post
    Foraged mushrooms

My Italian great grandmother used to forage for mushrooms.To make sure she didn't accidentally get a toadstool she would always put a coin in with them when she cooked them.If it turned black she knew there were toadstools in there and she would throw them out. Most of her harvest she canned to eat later.Problem was she started to get forgetful , and would some times forget to put the coin in. The whole family knew to avoid the cans with more recent dates on them.
    A coin is not a reliable indicator of toxicity. At all.

But don't worry - all fungi are edible.

But some are only edible once.

4. Top | #974
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Apricot souffle, bitches.

The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

5. Top | #975
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potoooooooo View Post
    Foraged mushrooms

A coin is not a reliable indicator of toxicity. At all.

But don't worry - all fungi are edible.

But some are only edible once.
    Well, like my grandfather once said "There are plenty of old mushroom hunters, and plenty of bold mushroom hunters...but there are no old bold mushroom hunters"

6. Top | #976
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bought some blackberries from the market today. I always grab either blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. The strawberries looked good; very red and ready to eat.
    When I was a kid, mom used to slice and mash them up with the potato masher and add sugar and whole milk. Of course whole milk. The milk would get kind of pink. Oh, that was so good.
    The blueberries were on sale. Pass.
    Now the blackberries, the blackberries were in cardboard containers. Oh, they look good. Real good. Should I get two? Blackberries in cardboard containers only come around once a year. But, so often, all the beauty of fruit is but skin deep and I've been burned before. Better just to buy one and cut my disappointment in half.
    So I get them home and remove the cellophane held on by a rubber band. I like that. Kind of homey. Better than popping open a plastic container. I try one and it's perfect. For all these years I've been buying blackberries, they have always been average at best. Kind of disappointed in myself for not getting two.
    Actually they reminded me of the blackberries we used to pick when I was a kid. My mom, my sister, and I would pick them from the field across the street. If we got enough, mom would make blackberry pie. These were those blackberries, somewhat tart. I remember that tartness would stand up to the sugar added to the pie filling and go so well together. I can remember weaving my arm between the thorns to reach in for the berries. What a challenge and what a reward for a little kid. One time I hear my mom screaming. I look around and there she goes! Running, screaming, arms flailing. It was funny. I was a little kid. I wasn't real big on empathy yet. I guess mom found some wasps. Oh and she dropped her blackberries. There may not be enough for a pie now. That's all I remember about that.

Anyways, here's my blackberries:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dwight

7. Top | #977
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Bought some blackberries from the market today. I always grab either blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. The strawberries looked good; very red and ready to eat.
    When I was a kid, mom used to slice and mash them up with the potato masher and add sugar and whole milk. Of course whole milk. The milk would get kind of pink. Oh, that was so good.
    The blueberries were on sale. Pass.
    Now the blackberries, the blackberries were in cardboard containers. Oh, they look good. Real good. Should I get two? Blackberries in cardboard containers only come around once a year. But, so often, all the beauty of fruit is but skin deep and I've been burned before. Better just to buy one and cut my disappointment in half.
    So I get them home and remove the cellophane held on by a rubber band. I like that. Kind of homey. Better than popping open a plastic container. I try one and it's perfect. For all these years I've been buying blackberries, they have always been average at best. Kind of disappointed in myself for not getting two.
    Actually they reminded me of the blackberries we used to pick when I was a kid. My mom, my sister, and I would pick them from the field across the street. If we got enough, mom would make blackberry pie. These were those blackberries, somewhat tart. I remember that tartness would stand up to the sugar added to the pie filling and go so well together. I can remember weaving my arm between the thorns to reach in for the berries. What a challenge and what a reward for a little kid. One time I hear my mom screaming. I look around and there she goes! Running, screaming, arms flailing. It was funny. I was a little kid. I wasn't real big on empathy yet. I guess mom found some wasps. Oh and she dropped her blackberries. There may not be enough for a pie now. That's all I remember about that.

Anyways, here's my blackberries:

I contemplated buying blackberries today too, but balked at paying $55 a kilo for them! Got a couple of Dino plums and some strawberries instead.

8. Top | #978
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

Yummy and quick.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

9. Top | #979
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Made a quick and easy shepherd's pie casserole. Browned a couple pounds of ground beef and drained. Threw in a half chopped red onion, a bag of frozen carrots and peas, and a can of beef gravy and a can of brown gravy. Seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper, and simmered. put the mixture in a flat casserole dish, topped it with colby-jack cheese then a layer of prepared instant mashed potatoes. Put it in the oven at 350 until the potatoes on top start to brown.

Yummy and quick.
    Er... if it's not lamb or mutton, it's a cottage pie, not a shepherd's pie.

10. Top | #980
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

Yummy and quick.
    Er... if it's not lamb or mutton, it's a cottage pie, not a shepherd's pie.
    Food nazi.

ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder