Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Kent Hovind: Broccoli man

1. Top | #211
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    The challenge was not made in good faith, and Hovind never had any intention of paying out, irrespective of the evidence.
    He's just one of the recent ones in a very long line of religionists who refuse to "look through the glass".

2. Top | #212
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    The challenge was not made in good faith, and Hovind never had any intention of paying out, irrespective of the evidence.
    He's just one of the recent ones in a very long line of religionists who refuse to "look through the glass".
    When I see these over-the-top evangelicals, I can't help myself wondering how much, if any, sincerity there is in their spiel. There is a hell of a lot of money to be made in pandering to any belief system that has a significant following and these evangelicals certainly rake in a nice share of that money. It reminds me of P.T.Barnum.

I once considered writing books pandering the the large UFO believers community, even did some research to develop a niche slant. But then reconsidered... I couldn't bring myself to lie and encourage their delusions even though there could be a lot of financial rewards for doing so.

3. Top | #213
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    ... I couldn't bring myself to lie and encourage their delusions even though there could be a lot of financial rewards for doing so.
    But is it integrity or shame? If kthe latter, you vould write anonymously.
    For the UFO trade, be an inidentified government insider, for creationism, present as a whistleblowing part of the conspiracy to destroy creationist truths, like
    *Chemical taxonomist
    *Anthropologist
    *Astronomer
    *Astrophysicist
    *Medical testing
    *Behaviorist research
    *Biologists
    *Cancer patients
    *Asthmatics
    *Physicists
    *Diabetics
    *Law Enforcement
    *Chemists
    *Biochemists
    *Center For Disease Control
    *Dog Breeders
    *Glaciologists
    *Paleoclimatologists
    *Paleontologists
    *Geologists
    *Historians
    *Hydrodynamicists
    *NASA
    *Oil Companies
    *Immunologists
    *Epidemiologists
    *Surgeons
    *Nobel Prize Committee
    *Paleobotanists
    *Biological Systematist
    *Vulcanologists
    *Anyone convicted by DNA
    *Anyone acquitted by DNA

If you have integrity, though, can't be helped.

4. Top | #214
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Saint Augustine once said:
    Often a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances, . . . and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all that we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, lest the unbeliever see only ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn." -- "De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim"
    I was watching a sitcom and realized this has a greater application. A character in the sitcom was explaining something, quickly exceeded their actual knowledge, and just started making shit up. Everyone in the room, and the audience, rolled their eyes at this display of teh stupids.

It struck me that when you are ignorant about a topic, your arguments are only compelling to those who know less than you do.
    Whatever Hovind actually knows about evolutionary theory, what he presents publically is a stunning ignorance.
    Even other creationists know enough about evolutionary theory to know Hovind is talking shit.

Which means that his supporters are either
    a) paying no attention at all to the issue, they just cherish the conclusion he offers
    b) about as sharp as a bag of ballpeen hammers.

5. Top | #215
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ewTPbarLZkc

There’s a $100,000 flat earth challenge. Would love to see Kent Hovind or any of his ilk take this on. Some surveyor who’s prove it’s flat by extreme measurements.

In your heart you know it’s flat.

SLD