Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baphomet statue appears at Arkansas state capitol

1. Top | #21
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Ah thats ok ... but you would at least say one side could be right maybe?

I mean ... two sides fought each other "to the death". So each side are then seperate entities (individuals) that are NOT fighting with TWO causes! You might as well say, as it seems, that " human-beings as a group " are like hypocrites as they're both Religious and Atheist".
    In just about every public conflict between Satanists and Christians that I can think of, the Satanists were on the side of moral right.
    "Just about"??

Got an example where they weren't??

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Ah thats ok ... but you would at least say one side could be right maybe?

I mean ... two sides fought each other "to the death". So each side are then seperate entities (individuals) that are NOT fighting with TWO causes! You might as well say, as it seems, that " human-beings as a group " are like hypocrites as they're both Religious and Atheist".
    In just about every public conflict between Satanists and Christians that I can think of, the Satanists were on the side of moral right.
    "Just about"??

Got an example where they weren't??
    I can't think of one, but I didn't want to make an absolute statement just to hedge my bets.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I just watched "Hail Satan?" which documents portions of the history of The Satanic Temple. It's very eye-opening. There are lots of clips about the Baphomet statue debate with the Arkansas legislature.

There were portions I found disturbing and must admit that I didn't get the performance art stuff. But I don't got no culture.

One thing that comes out of this is that when you're a minority your voice often gets drowned out by the much louder voices of the vast throngs misrepresenting your position. Preachers get to say whatever they want to about Satanists and their sheep eat it up with gusto.

TST is a group of noble people filled with a sense of compassion and morality that should be the envy of all world religions. They fight primarily against hypocrisy and minority oppression. But the much louder voices of people who are unwilling to let them speak for themselves portray them as people filled with hate and violence. It's really a sad commentary on the political process as a whole, driven into a frenzy through religious indoctrination.

They don't believe in Satan but they use Satan as a symbol of adversarial criticism of authoritarian abuse of the political process by large religions. They are a non-violent peaceful protest group. The irony is that it is the Christians who are often violent and threaten their well-being at public confrontations.

To all the doubters, do yourself a favor and learn what TST actually stands for. Check out their 7 tenets. You'll be surprised. I was. But no, I'm not ready to become a Satanist.

4. Top | #24
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sounds quite a strange phenomenon, biblically. Satanists not believing or behaving as according to Satan and... Christians not believing or behaving as according to Christ!

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Sounds quite a strange phenomenon, biblically. Satanists not believing or behaving as according to Satan and... Christians not believing or behaving as according to Christ!
    "Biblically" bahaving according to Satan? That is exactly what actual Satanists do.

And the violent extremist xians? They are behaving exactly how jesus of the bible would have them act. You just read the bible through some very strained filters (or haven't actually read 99% of it).

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So how does Satan behave? Have you ever actually met the guy? Talked to him? Ever listen to his side of the story? If the only things you've ever heard about the guy were written by people who hate him what kind of impression about him do you think you're going to have?

I've been around long enough to learn that nobody is as bad as their enemies paint them out to be and nobody is as good as their ass-kissers would have you believe.

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It must be a different Satan, I thought it was the one in the bible.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That was kind of my point. What makes you think the bible paints an accurate picture of who Satan is? If the people who wrote the bible think of him as a bad guy why on earth would you expect them to be impartial in their descriptions of him? Maybe he's actually the good guy in all of this and the tyrannical, bloodthirsty Yahweh, who demands absolute obedience or requires human blood sacrifice is the bad guy.

Like his followers in The Satanic Temple, he had the guts to stand up to power and say, "This is wrong. I / we will resist." He might be doomed to failure but at least he tried to do do what was right.

9. Top | #29
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, Satan has a bible kill-count of, what, a dozen people?
    God has wiped out ALL LIFE ON EARTH minus a boatfull, sent bears to attack kids, set people on fire, killed a shitload of firstborn...

10. Top | #30
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    But then judging the nature of Satan (Lucifer) by the Bible's description is kinda like judging the nature of Brits and Americans during WWII by how the Japanese press described the allies at the time. They portrayed the allies as being so evil that many Japanese committed suicide as being preferable to capture.