Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: For Christians:If god exists why must you prove it?

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Aquinas was the pope's theological hit man. He went out and debated.
    I don't think so. Aquinas was a loose cannon. He had plenty of public conflicts with various popes. Refusing to do as he was told. Not to mention that Aquinas' work relied heavily on Aristotelian logic, which had been outlawed by several popes. Aquinas seems to have been picking fights, with pretty much everyone he came into contact with. If he hadn't been from an exceedingly rich noble family nobody would have put up with him.

He was canonized after his death because his work was undoubtedly useful to the church. I think it's safe to say, to the popes he was a lot more popular dead than alive.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    I never saw any scripture telling me to prove God exists. In fact there's a fair bit telling me NOT to put God to the proof.

As for hostility towards those who reject God, nope. Christians who aren't welcomed are invoked to turn and leave and shake the dust off their sandals.
    You are doing the usual Christian two step. Find a passage and make it fit something unrelated as an answer.

Aren't they commanded to give up possesions and follow Jesus?
    Now you're changing the topic. Your Op was very specific about some supposed obligation Christians have to prove God exists and allegedly getting hostile at those who aren't persuaded.
    Name some self-professed Christian here at TTF who you believe interpret their Christian calling this way.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Isn't a hostile Christian an oxymoron?
    Why on Earth would you think that?

Crusades, witch trials, Inquisition, Mad About Dungeons And Dragons, Jack Chick...
    Oh. Wait, you're being funny? Sorry.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If you believe god exists and have faith in an afterlife, why must you prove it and why get hostile to those who reject it?
    If you are an non-christian why do you keep asking for proof?
    If you did not ask for proof we would not need to be so active.

I do not get hostile to those who reject. I am sorry they reject. Hostile, no.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    And I suspect you're probably in the Majority. Unfortunately, a largely silent majority...

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    And I suspect you're probably in the Majority. Unfortunately, a largely silent majority...
    But you just described the main problem with the current society. News is today primarily spread for shock value. A person being cool about shit, is not news. I don't think it's a question of sensible Christian being quiet. It's more that nobody is listeing to what they're saying. Today, we almost exclusively give attention and platforms to complete idiots. Idiots who's only role is for us to react against. The OP to this thread is a prime example

I'm sure it's works the same on the other side. I'm convinced Christians continually spread news about atheists saying and doing vile shit, that we in the secular world give zero attention.

I think most people everywhere are fairly decent.

7. Top | #17
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Crusades, witch trials, Inquisition, Mad About Dungeons And Dragons, Jack Chick...
    Don’t forget Jesus and the money-changers...

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

Don’t forget Jesus and the money-changers...
    Wasn't Jesus more passive aggressive?

9. Top | #19
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I believe the evidence shows otherwise.
    If Christians were majority not-hostile, we would not have restrictions on birth control and atheists would not be the most untrusted group by Xhristians.

They are majority hostile. They say so in polls when they claim they don’t trust atheists. They say so when they permit companies and people to discriminate against non-christians in medical decisions, marriage and tax collection.

Tigers!, you need to understand that “hostile” includes asking people again and again and a-fucking-gain if they’ve heard the “good news” snake oil.

Everyone on the planet has heard about your religion. If you weren’t bringing it up in our lives in our laws and in our workplaces, no one would ask you for proof. We wouldn’t care, just as we don’t actually care about people who use crystals and essential oils and spirit yoga.

You get hostile when people say they don’t want to be harmed by your ancient superstition in contravention to shaking the dust off your sandals and shutting up about it.

10. Top | #20
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I never saw any scripture telling me to prove God exists. In fact there's a fair bit telling me NOT to put God to the proof.

As for hostility towards those who reject God, nope. Christians who aren't welcomed are invoked to turn and leave and shake the dust off their sandals.
    You are doing the usual Christian two step. Find a passage and make it fit something unrelated as an answer.

Aren't they commanded to give up possesions and follow Jesus?
    Now you're changing the topic. Your Op was very specific about some supposed obligation Christians have
    No. You’re having a language problem. The sentence “why must you” means “why are you incessant about this?” The only obligation is the one apparent from your incessant behaviour. We might assume that you have some internal obligation to drive such aggressive behavior, but that’s between you and your old book. The sentence “why must you” simply means, “why do you always do that?” It’s a question. WHY do you do that all the time?

Hope that helps.

to prove God exists and allegedly getting hostile at those who aren't persuaded.
    Name some self-professed Christian here at TTF who you believe interpret their Christian calling this way.
    You.