Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 264

Thread: For Christians:If god exists why must you prove it?

  1. Top | #251
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    I said Sam Harris would (special plead) that God is immoral.
    You've done exactly the same thing.
    That doesn't get you anywhere because you're merely gainsaying people who say God is morally good.
    I don't think you understand what a special pleading fallacy is. Perhaps you should refrain from using phrases until you learn what they mean.

    And pointing out that your arguments failed is not gainsaying. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of that word either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    And that is the problem. The old Euthyphro problem.
    There's no dilemma. God is wise. He acts wisely. It is wise to act wisely. Acting immorally is stupid (because of the detrimental long and short-term consequences) so God doesn't act immorally. Where is the dilemma?
    There is a dilemma. You can't declare your authority moral by fiat. That's the problem with authority-based moral systems. I get that you think we should decdide something is moral on your say-so, but that is the problem with authority-based moral systems in the first place. We can't figure out what is moral and immoral based on the declaration of an authority, and if we use a definition of morality that is independent of the authority, then the definition is the source of our morals, not the authority.

    Although it's highly amusing that you tried to resolve the dilemma by declaring yourself the authority who declares what's right and wrong. That's honestly a new tactic for me. I can't say I've seen that one before.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    If God loves what is good because of some outside standard beyond God, the amoral Bible God does not follow that standard or that meta-standard is very low and not very good.
    But if what is good is good because God commands it, the murders, massacres and genocides of the Bible demonstrate God is not good.
    The Commander in Chief orders the execution of Usama bin Laden. Is that immoral?
    God - who can see whether or not the end justifies the means - faces no dilemma wondering whether His commands are wise because God is God, or whether they are good because His decisions are always the wisest choice.
    Asking God why He is wise reminds us that many 'why' questions are often misplaced.


    Then you don't understand what the dilemma is. The dilemma is that you can't establish that your authority is moral at all, and every attempt by theodicy to resolve this just involves a dishonest shell game in which they keep changing what they claim to be the ultimate authority responsible for morality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    We have the deeper problems of God, why God did not immediately by fiat eliminate original sin (so important to centuries of theologians) so as the eliminate the many evils that would result from that.
    God is not automatically or obviously or necessarily doing the better thing by depriving us of free will.
    You can claim that it would be better but that's merely your opinion. And I strongly disagree.
    There is no morality AT ALL in a universe where everything is pre-programmed.
    The free will excuse is an attempt to resolve the Euthyphro dilemma by claiming god is not all-powerful.

    Really, it's an idiotic argument.

    Let us imagine that I stumble upon a man raping a child. According to my understanding of morals, I should immediately act to stop the act of rape in progress, and then take further steps to ensure the man does not rape any other children in the future. According to the free will excuse, we must not stop the man from raping the child because that would violate the man's free will.

    If you make an argument that we can stop the man from raping the child without violating his free will, then you have just argued that you can do something that god can't, because you just argued that god cannot stop the rapist without violating the rapist's free will, but you and I can stop the rapist without violating the rapist's free will. If you and I can do something that god cannot do, then god is very far from omnipotent. Indeed, he's not even potent as he cannot even do as much as a mortal.

    I'll be honest, I'm not interested in the discussion about "the elect."

  2. Top | #252
    Contributor Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,356
    Archived
    3,884
    Total Posts
    9,240
    Rep Power
    61
    God acts wisely? So predestining who will be elect and who will not is wise and merciful, compassionate and fair? God the Great Potter who purposefully creates some as vessels of dishonor is wise? God allowing original sin to exist and cause people to do evil and not by fiat eliminating that on day one is wise? Commanding mass murder and genocide is wise?

    The utter lack of anything we can call wisdom from this Bible God is that God's most obvious attribute.
    Cheerful Charlie

  3. Top | #253
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    9,275
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    18,315
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    We have the deeper problems of God, why God did not immediately by fiat eliminate original sin (so important to centuries of theologians) so as the eliminate the many evils that would result from that.
    God is not automatically or obviously or necessarily doing the better thing by depriving us of free will.
    You can claim that it would be better but that's merely your opinion. And I strongly disagree.
    There is no morality AT ALL in a universe where everything is pre-programmed.
    So
    Heaven has no morality.
    Also, Your god does not know how things will turn out, since h/she/it won’t “pre-programme” the situation.

    ...

    Also, why do you think that doing something about evil = pre-programmed?
    Why are you unable to picture “free will” with “consequences that alter behavior”

    For example, God made immutable consequences for humans who try to violate gravity. If you jump off a cliff, sans equipment that is designed to affect your fall rate, Yahweh has decreed that you will die. This is one of the consequences that keeps the vast number of humans from deciding, in their free will, to jump unequipped by human devices from cliffs.

    Likewise, Yahweh has decreed that humans may not breathe water. And he has similarly dire and immediate consequences for attemptiing it already in place.

    Indeed, he gave Lot’s wife the free will to look back, then he immediately showed her who’s boss by turning her to a pillar of salt, thereby affecting the free will choices of the rest of the gang.

    But your god couldn’t muster an equally immediate consequence for rape. Or murder, or child sex trafficking.

    What a stupid description of “free will” and “morality” you have put forth for your god story.

  4. Top | #254
    Quantum Hot Dog Kharakov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    OCCaUSA
    Posts
    4,370
    Archived
    3,383
    Total Posts
    7,753
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Also, why do you think that doing something about evil = pre-programmed?
    Why are you unable to picture “free will” with “consequences that alter behavior”

    For example, God made immutable consequences for humans who try to violate gravity. If you jump off a cliff, sans equipment that is designed to affect your fall rate, Yahweh has decreed that you will die. This is one of the consequences that keeps the vast number of humans from deciding, in their free will, to jump unequipped by human devices from cliffs.

    Likewise, Yahweh has decreed that humans may not breathe water. And he has similarly dire and immediate consequences for attemptiing it already in place.
    The idea is that God does not want to police all of nature and micromanage every decision we make into perpetuity. As we learn things like "jumping off high cliff= bad shit" we are supposed to take this decision off of "God's" plate.

    Of course, this means we have to learn all natural interactions to avoid. Like, should I do a couple grams of ecstasy or meth with that slutty girl? Probably. Almost definitely. Of course, this means that the consequences (which I am aware of) are my fault, because nature always wins, even though it's not playing.

    Reminds me of this comic I saw earlier today:


  5. Top | #255
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    9,275
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    18,315
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    God allowing original sin to exist and cause people to do evil
    To be accurate, the story doesn't say God allowed evil. It says he CREATED it.

  6. Top | #256
    Contributor Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,356
    Archived
    3,884
    Total Posts
    9,240
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post




    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    We have the deeper problems of God, why God did not immediately by fiat eliminate original sin (so important to centuries of theologians) so as the eliminate the many evils that would result from that.
    God is not automatically or obviously or necessarily doing the better thing by depriving us of free will.
    You can claim that it would be better but that's merely your opinion. And I strongly disagree.
    There is no morality AT ALL in a universe where everything is pre-programmed.
    Sighhhhhhhhh. If God allows original sin to damage our free will and cause evil, how is eliminating original sin on day one by fiat, "depriving us of free will"? A good and wise and omnipotent God would eliminate original sin to restore our free will.
    And of course, since Adam and Eve had no sense of good and evil, not having been given those attributes by God, doesn't that mean their free will was damaged by not having the information to freely choose to do good and avoid doing evil?

    Genesis 3
    22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:....
    Last edited by Cheerful Charlie; 12-29-2018 at 05:19 AM.
    Cheerful Charlie

  7. Top | #257
    Contributor Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,356
    Archived
    3,884
    Total Posts
    9,240
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    God allowing original sin to exist and cause people to do evil
    To be accurate, the story doesn't say God allowed evil. It says he CREATED it.
    Not in Genesis. There is no original sin in Genesis. And thus no way for man to eliminate original sin. Not for another 4,000 years.
    God is a procrastinator and a lazy slob.
    Cheerful Charlie

  8. Top | #258
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,442
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,498
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    God allowing original sin to exist and cause people to do evil
    To be accurate, the story doesn't say God allowed evil. It says he CREATED it.
    Not in Genesis. There is no original sin in Genesis. And thus no way for man to eliminate original sin. Not for another 4,000 years.
    God is a procrastinator and a lazy slob.
    At least you understand (in your own way) the biblical theme i.e. God sorts it out in the END.

  9. Top | #259
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancre
    Posts
    9,938
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    24,373
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

    Not in Genesis. There is no original sin in Genesis. And thus no way for man to eliminate original sin. Not for another 4,000 years.
    God is a procrastinator and a lazy slob.
    At least you understand (in your own way) the biblical theme i.e. God sorts it out in the END.
    If only more christians actually believed that and had faith in that instead of following a social dominance ideological identity that seeks to judge and control everyone but themselves.
    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  10. Top | #260
    Quantum Hot Dog Kharakov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    OCCaUSA
    Posts
    4,370
    Archived
    3,383
    Total Posts
    7,753
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

    Not in Genesis. There is no original sin in Genesis. And thus no way for man to eliminate original sin. Not for another 4,000 years.
    God is a procrastinator and a lazy slob.
    At least you understand (in your own way) the biblical theme i.e. God sorts it out in the END.
    If only more christians actually believed that and had faith in that instead of following a social dominance ideological identity that seeks to judge and control everyone but themselves.
    In their "defense", they believe in evolution, not God, which is why they say they believe in God, while doing things to ensure they have all the benefits of power and control conferred by science.

    Their "belief" is primarily a political tool, designed to obfuscate their corruption enough that they don't have uprisings among the truly (not just financially) poor. The "poor christians" on the front lines proselytize, knowingly lying so that in the future they can have their share of corruption. It's a permanent corrupt culture designed to keep them enjoying the fruits of other's labor.

    No guilt to- if they hadn't done it to others, others would have done it to them. That's what makes them feel so good.... they ripped off you before you got them. Well, unless you're one of them.

    Don't ask Christians for the truth, even ones you like. "They will only tell the truth when they are so far ahead that it can't bring them down. " DJ Trump.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-28-2019, 01:51 AM
  2. UK: Porn users will have to prove their age
    By TSwizzle in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2019, 03:26 AM
  3. I can easily prove that God does not exist, but...
    By Copernicus in forum Existence of God(s)
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 12-12-2018, 11:21 AM
  4. Eleven Year Old Genius Sets Out to Prove Existence of God
    By Opoponax in forum Existence of God(s)
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 05-29-2018, 07:11 PM
  5. Now it is non veg fasicism to prove 'secularism!
    By hinduwoman in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 01:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •