Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: For Christians:If god exists why must you prove it?

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    xtianity is founded on reverence for an act of unbelievable evil savagery, and part of the mind-rot is spreading the contagion to others. They don't actually need or want to prove it....just to force others to subscribe or die.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Subscribe or die??? Where I live, it's more like subscribe or be bored. By die, are you referring to their lovely hell doctrine? Do remember, if you don't believe in a religion, with its invisible characters and its do's and dont's, then you can truly say that none of it applies to you. Neither its rewards or its penalties. And also -- who gives a shit. Harp music blows.

3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The fear of God (and hell) has its functions on different levels. God is clever.

A phsycological effect to tell the TRUTH etc..(for lack of better discription)! Pedo's and profiteers in the congregation so to speak ,should be logically obvious that they don't fear hell, simply because they just don't believe in it.

4. Top | #24
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    If you believe god exists and have faith in an afterlife, why must you prove it and why get hostile to those who reject it?
    The existence of those who do not share the faith puts the faith to question. Other beliefs or points of view imply other possibilities, that one's article of faith may not be true, posing a threat to the faith.
    Bingo! Tribalism is threatened by dissent.

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    I do not get hostile to those who reject. I am sorry they reject. Hostile, no.
    And I suspect you're probably in the Majority. Unfortunately, a largely silent majority...
    I believe the evidence shows otherwise.
    If Christians were majority not-hostile, we would not have restrictions on birth control and atheists would not be the most untrusted group by Xhristians.
    Well, restrictions on birth control are not a move against atheism, but an inability to read their Books.
    And I hear what you are saying, but I still think most believers are not hostile towards non-believers just because of the non-belief, but rather because of political agenda they have been told that all atheistic liberal communist gay gun-controlling people pursue.

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    If you are an non-christian why do you keep asking for proof?.
    But really, though, wouldn't YOU?

Someone says that unicorns live in their shoes, wouldn't you ask to see?

The unicorn people gather together and start to dictate how footwear needs to be made, to accommodate Glittersprinkle's and Vanillasweat's needs, wouldn't you kind of feel it important to see just one of these unicorns, if it's going to affect how your Birkenstocks look in the future?

Or at the very least, would you be terribly surprised if OTHER consumers of foot coverings were hesitant to embrace the unicorn ramp legislation, at least until they had seen a unicorn, or a reason to think unicorns were real?

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    The fear of God (and hell) has its functions on different levels. God is clever.

A phsycological effect to tell the TRUTH etc..(for lack of better discription)! Pedo's and profiteers in the congregation so to speak ,should be logically obvious that they don't fear hell, simply because they just don't believe in it.
    These sorts of people may very well believe that but have given up. They think of themselves as riddled with original sin not of God's elect and have given up. So might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. And hope that God is a forgiving merciful God who will relent at the last moment if they admit their sins and throw themselves on God's mercy.
    Cheerful Charlie

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

Maybe they believe in it and fear it and do what they do anyway.

Control isn't the solution. It's a vile kind of psychology that relies on fear to force goodness. Talk about hostile... that's some despicably ugly "cleverness" on God's part (ie, on Christianity's part).

'Believe in hell -> good behavior'. This over-simple formula takes no account of the complexity of rationalizations in people's minds.

Some addicts (for an example of rationalization) believe "I'm killing myself with this stuff, I really should stop", and do what they know is "damning" them anyway. Many think "I'll get on top of it and save myself from doom... later".

Knowing it's bad AND there's a terrible consequence is often more hurtful than helpful. Self-hating people are drawn to what will destroy them and don't feel connected enough to know, or care, that it hurts others too.

"I can't because if I do I'll be punished". Wouldn't promoting both ethical and psychological maturity (self-responsibility and empathic bonds) be a better function of religion... IF it's capable of it?

9. Top | #29
    Veteran Member
    The premise of the RCC is that there is an all powerful entity out there that can zap you with lightning, and the pope speaks for it on Earth.

Obey the pope or else.

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

These sorts of people may very well believe that but have given up. They think of themselves as riddled with original sin not of God's elect and have given up. So might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. And hope that God is a forgiving merciful God who will relent at the last moment if they admit their sins and throw themselves on God's mercy.
    What did you/anyone get from their defence / explanation (if at all you got those details to explain ,regarding those sort of people) ? In terms of all-types of individuals who believe , there'd be variables on a case by case basis . Some may just be as you described who would think this way, perhaps.