Thread: Defending Trump, Giuliani proclaims, ‘Truth isn’t truth!’

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Defending Trump, Giuliani proclaims, ‘Truth isn’t truth!’

Wow......time for Rudy to go into Alzheimer's treatment.

Rudy Giuliani, President Trump’s personal lawyer, coined a new Trumpism Sunday morning when he told Meet The Press‘ Chuck Todd that “truth isn’t truth.”

His last-minute appearance followed a New York Times report that White House attorney Don McGahn has given some 30 hours of interviews in cooperation with Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

When Todd implied that it was Trump’s team that was delaying negotiations with the investigation, Giuliani replied that it’s “silly” to think Trump should feel confident about testifying because “it’s somebody’s version of the truth, not the truth.”

When Todd insisted that “truth is truth,” Giuliani replied, “No, it isn’t truth! Truth isn’t truth!”
    https://thinkprogress.org/rudy-giuli...-087bbf532cac/
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You forget, he's a lawyer.

3. Top | #3
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    (Insert lawyer joke here.)
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Guliani is giving lawyers a bad name.

...and that's saying something!

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In Giuliani's defense, lawyers typically don't give a fuck about truth, all they care about is winning an argument (or at least muddling one up) in court.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    In Giuliani's defense, lawyers typically don't give a fuck about truth, all they care about is winning an argument (or at least muddling one up) in court.
    Then he should probably have said something like 'You can't find the truth by pitting two testimonies against each other without corroboration.'

As it is, if he ever starts a statement with 'The truth is...' then the immediate and obvious reaction is to shout "THE TRUTH ISN'T TRUTH!" in his lying face...

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    And now he's gone one step further and said that white collar crime isn't crime:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-lawye...-crime-1089109

See? It's not a crime when the economic elites do it. Crimes are only crimes when you dirty serfs do something illegal.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Reminded me another lawyer and his "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is"

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Reminded me another lawyer and his "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is"
    Thank you for confirming it’s wrong when lawyers try to muddy the waters, though in that case (as in all cases) context matters (emphasis mine):

Wisenberg: Mr. President, I want to go into a new subject area, briefly go over something you were talking about with Mr. Bittman.

The statement of your attorney, Mr. Bennett, at the Paula Jones deposition -- counsel is fully aware -- it's page 54, line 5. Counsel is fully aware that Ms. Lewinsky is filing, has an affidavit, which they were in possession of, saying that there was absolutely no sex of any kind in any manner, shape or form with President Clinton. That statement was made by your attorney in front of Judge Susan Webber Wright.

Clinton: That's correct.

Wisenberg: Your -- that statement is a completely false statement. Whether or not Mr. Bennett knew of your relationship with Ms. Lewinsky, the statement that there was no sex of any kind in any manner, shape or form with President Clinton was an utterly false statement. Is that correct?

CLINTON: It depends upon what the meaning of the word is means. If is means is, and never has been, that's one thing. If it means, there is none, that was a completely true statement.

But as I have testified -- I'd like to testify again -- this is -- it somewhat unusual for a client to be asked about his lawyer's statements instead of the other way around. I was not paying a great deal of attention to this exchange. I was focusing on my own testimony. And that if you go back and look at the sequence of events, you will see that the Jones' lawyers decided that this was going to be the Lewinsky deposition, not the Jones deposition. And given the facts of their case, I can understand why they made that decision.

But that is not how I prepared for it. That is not how I was thinking about it.

And I am not sure, Mr. Wisenberg, as I sit here today that I sat there and followed all these interchanges between the lawyers. I'm quite sure that I didn't follow all the interchanges between the lawyers all that carefully. And I don't really believe, therefore, that I can say Mr. Bennett's testimony or statement is testimony that is impugnable to me. I didn't -- I don't know that I was really paying that much attention to him.

Wisenberg: You've told us you were very well-prepared for the deposition.

CLINTON: No, I said I was very well prepared to talk about Paula Jones and to talk about Kathleen Willey, because she had made a related charge. She was the only person that I think I was asked about who had anything to do with the -- anything that would remotely approximate sexual harassment. The rest of this it looked to me like it was more of a way to harass me.

Wisenberg: You're the president of the United States, and your attorney counseled the United States District Court judge that there's no sex of any kind or any way, shape or form whatsoever. And you feel no obligation to do anything about that at that deposition, Mr. President?

CLINTON: I had told you, Mr. Wisenberg -- I will tell you for a third time -- I am not even sure that when Mr. Bennett made that statement that I was concentrating on the exact words he used. Now, someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky -- that is ask me a question in the present tense -- I would have said no. And it would have been completely true.
    The affair he was asked about had ended years prior. If someone asked you, “Are you having an affair with X” and that affair ended three years ago, then you would say, “No” and be 100% truthful in that answer. If someone asked you, “Have you EVER had an affair with X” then the question would apply to any point in time.

It’s a legitimate distinction, particulalry in light of what else he noted was going on at the time.

If you still don’t get it, put in proper punctuation and italics to clearly distinguish what Clinton was getting at:

If is means: is, and never has been, that's one thing. If it means: there is none, that was a completely true statement.
    Straightforward.

ETA: He was also acquitted of both perjury and obsrtuction of justice by the Republican controlled Senate.
    Last edited by Koyaanisqatsi; 08-25-2018 at 03:21 PM.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Seriously, there are some big time evangelicals and headlining preachers who are due for a come-to-Jesus moment where they curse out Trump. Mark Burns, Paula White, the holy Juniors Falwell and Graham. Let's look at John 18.
    Jesus: The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.
    Pilate: What is truth?
    C'mon preachers, it's time to get the holy goddamn spirit and start flipping.