Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping as a motel

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Camping as a motel

My family was commenting that we don’t see very many other people at campgrounds who are traveling for other reasons and just using the tent as an overnight accommodation.

We didn’t think it was that weird until we got the dozenth reply of surprise when we stated we were looking at colleges and tenting while we did it. Or going to an out of state funeral or whatever and taking the tent instead of a hotel room.

Using a campground as a motel is the way we grew up to make overnight stays be $15. Anyone else here do that?

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Around here it's not very easy to find a licensed camping lot without booking far in advance. That and most drives we make on the regular can be done in less than one day.

I could see myself doing it, but if I was doing something like driving to Florida and needed an over-night I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a proper bed.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    1st thought: priced tents lately?
    2nd thought: what a lovely idea!
    3rd thought: maybe not for a funeral
    4th thought: what a lovely idea!
    5th thought: of wonderful days gone by
    6th thought: maybe not for something that required an early rise yet no amenities available
    7th thought: maybe not as inexpensive as you might think (unless you keep receipts for exchange, lol)
    8th thought: dang, am I gettting old?
    9th thought: what a lovely idea
    10th thought: what a lovely idea

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    11: mosquitos
    12: creepy crawlies
    13: little pebbles under sleeping bag
    14: breakfast and cooking over an open flame in the outdoors
    15: batteries, lights, chairs, sleeping bags, string, stakes, setting up
    16: fucking mosquitoes
    17: some kind of repellent
    18: gotta start a fire--need smoke; damn mosquitoes
    19: moments, lovely moments
    20: what a wonderful idea!!

5. Top | #5
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    LOL, well some answers for you:

Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    1st thought: priced tents lately?
    Yes, we have several
    2nd thought: what a lovely idea!
    (Same asnwer for all of these.)
    We usually enjoy it - every now and then it’s purely transactional.
    3rd thought: maybe not for a funeral
    Why not? They usually have showers, though we can bring our own, too. I have one of those bags you hang from a tree.
    5th thought: of wonderful days gone by
    Yes.
    6th thought: maybe not for something that required an early rise yet no amenities available
    Very few cases of this that can’t work out. See aforementioned shower bag.
    7th thought: maybe not as inexpensive as you might think (unless you keep receipts for exchange, lol)
    I have a pretty good handle on costs. We’ve been doing this for decades.
    8th thought: dang, am I gettting old?
    My husband did complain this morning that he wants a thicker camp pad.
    11: mosquitos
    Not usually much of a prbem. We d have a large tent for car trips (smaller for backpacking)
    12: creepy crawlies
    Very few actally bite.
    13: little pebbles under sleeping bag
    ThermaRest
    14: breakfast and cooking over an open flame in the outdoors
    You don’t have to cook always, though we have a propane stove. This weekend we’re just getting up and going to a diner.

15: batteries, lights, chairs, sleeping bags, string, stakes, setting up
    About 15 minutes. Not much longer than check-in time.
    16: fucking mosquitoes
    Not in the tent.
    17: some kind of repellent
    Less than you think
    18: gotta start a fire--need smoke; damn mosquitoes
    Or a game in the tent
    19: moments, lovely moments
    Yes.

I am typing from my tent now - ironically with better internet than I have at home. We’re dropping my son off at college. $18 per night here so we are staying 3 days to do sights together.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Why not a funeral?

Oh, I'm not adamantly against it or anything. It's just that I might feel guilty. Camping is fun. Mixing sadness and fun might be too much for me. Maybe if it was a funeral for distant relative; I don't know. If I learned that someone else camped to make it cheaper on them to attend a funeral, the only judgemental aspect I would have would be biased positively, not negatively.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    $15. per night? That's over $450. per month! If I'm going to pay that much for a place to sleep I expect a fully stocked kitchen, bathroom, bed, TV, &c. A campsite -- or hotel, for that matter -- shouldn't cost more than an apartment.

For many years I traveled the country on a Motorcyclde. At night I'd just find an out-of-the-way place to pull over, or a truckstop off the highway, and unroll my sleeping bag. Cost: $000.
    If you have a tent, why pay for a place to pitch it? You can pitch a tent for the night just about anywhere, for nothing.

Nowadays I've become quite the sybarite, though. I now have a van, in which I can stealth camp even in the middle of town.

8. Top | #8
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Those are good points, and we often use National Forests which have free camping. But in places lacking that (New Jersey, Washington DC, Atlanta, etc) the $15-$20 night is hecka better than a hotel.

And owning the camping gear makes van camping super easy when we just want to pull over and sleep quick like a rest area or parking lot, though it’s harder with 4 people than just one. But we have a new rig where we hang hammocks from the doors to make a dual layer.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Once you close your eyes you can't tell whether you're in the Ritz or a truckstop.

10. Top | #10
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've never done it in the US (I have spent a decent number of nights in the wild, but backpacking, not car camping), I have done it while traveling abroad.

If I were traveling around on my own, though, I would carry what I need to stay in the wild (including if there was no campground) as a precaution against finding no available motel rooms. I like seeing nature, it's hard to know in advance how much time a place warrants and thus hard to make a fixed schedule. (I have had the experience of finding nothing under $400/night in town and nothing at all in the next two towns.)

Note, however, that I live in a drier part of the country. My pack (I hike most weekends) contains sunscreen, it does not contain any insect repellent. While I loathe mosquitoes they're not an issue. (And if it were moist enough for them to be an issue I would worry about my allergies.)