Archived
    Total Posts
    Fucking gypsies.

I love camping. But I'm part Gypsie.

3. Top | #13
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    One laugh about last night’s nature stay in the Cheesequake State Park in New Jersey was that the background noise (according to my NIOSH sound level meter app) is twice the dB that we have at home. Go camping in nature - hear the humans.

(Background noise level at home is 28dB, at the campground at 10:30pm after quiet hours = 60.5dB.)

I just found that humorous.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I did traveling across country. Stayed at KOAs and rented their cabins. They keep a clean bathroom. That's my big checkpoint. That's when you know you're not at the Ritz.

You know what's pretty comfortable to sleep in? A Kamp-Rite Tent Cot. They do take up a bit of room in the vehicle though.
    Dwight

5. Top | #15
    Banned
    Used to...it's a family tradition. Northern Okie stock; Dakota drifters, y'know? But with age has come the CPAP machine and even hostels fell from grace. And my beloved introduced me to hostels.

Nowadays, its usually no-tell or better in terms of accommodaton. I need that bedside electrical outlet.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My daughter laughs at me for being one extreme or the other on this topic (among others). For me it is either camping - any kind (tent, no-tent, RV, campsite, backpacking, glamping...) - or the hotel better be 4-star or above.

Yes, I've stayed at crappy hotels/motels before when I've had to. I'd have rather been in my sleeping bag on the beach.

Usually, though, camping has been the destination, or at least part of the destination, rather than "camping as motel".

There have been a few times when my daughter was young when I have been able to combine what I like to do (camping) with what my daughter wanted for vacation (waterslides, Disney, etc). I'm not sure that is quite what Rhea is talking about, though.

Maybe if it had occurred to me at the time, Rhea's suggestion would have saved me from those horrible motel experiences.

7. Top | #17
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Totally agree I’d rather be in a sleeping bag on a beach than a crappy motel! That’s why I do this. I never sleep comfy in a sketchy room.

8. Top | #18
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If I enjoyed camping, I'd totally do this. I'd camp all over the country. Very cool idea if you've got top camping skills and the temperament to deal with unforeseen discomforts and all that.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

9. Top | #19
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    If I enjoyed camping, I'd totally do this. I'd camp all over the country. Very cool idea if you've got top camping skills and the temperament to deal with unforeseen discomforts and all that.

LOL! I’m sensing a subtext here...

10. Top | #20
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post

LOL! I’m sensing a subtext here...
    Not really. I just don't enjoy camping. People who do enjoy it and do it all the time would have a better time with your idea, which I still think is awesome. As I said, if the discomforts don't bother you, great way to travel.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.