Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More on the "Big Five" Five-Factor Model of Personality

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A Stunning Study of 1.5 Million People Reveals There Are Only 4 Personality Types (And Most People Are the Same Type) | Inc.com
    A robust data-driven approach identifies four personality types across four large data sets | Nature Human Behaviour

Though the Big Five dimensions are generally accepted, the notion of personality types isn't. A simplistic approach is to split the dimensions and use permutations of their being low and high as personality types. Hippocrates's four-humor theory is a good example, with each type being either high or low of Extroversion and Neuroticism. The 16 MBTI types are another example, from subdividing the MBTI's four dimensions.

But the real world does not work like that. Personality-test scores have a LOT of scatter. But this team of researchers have found four concentrations of personality features, sort of like lumps in batter.
    Average Reserved Self-Centered Role Model
    Openness --- --- --- +++
    Conscientiousness --- +++
    Extroversion +++ +++ +++
    Agreeableness --- +++
    Neuroticism +++ --- ---
    +++ high, --- low, (blank) in the middle
    I'm like Role Model except for being very introverted.

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post

That's not the Big Five, you are thinking of the Myer's Briggs, which is not really taken seriously in the personality psych community, but laypeople people seem to eat it up, and it is sold to hiring managers as a way of screening candidates. I think it is more similar to astrology and horoscopes than serious science, although that may be harsh. It's basically a failed model that got really popular among non-psychologists and business people.

The Big Five on the other hand, is taken seriously. Although, it is somewhat controversial (or rather, some people simply don't find it appealing), because it is an empirically derived model, essentially the result of factor analysis on personality survey data. In terms of explanatory value, it is probably the most robust model in personality psych, which is often criticized for its lack of rigor.
    Empirical? Factor Analysis? Multiple correlation as empirical? Where did you learn about science J842P? In a personality class?

When you can show me a survey choice is actually related to physical conditions like, say psychophysical determination of sensory limen, then let's talk. And that is a relatively feeble case. I'd actually prefer evidence of descending moderation in first receptor in sensorium. Until then ....

You are right in questioning personality research and theory as science at any level including medical. We haven't even got stuff like approach withdraw, seek avoid, paradigms down to science yet.*

*T. C. Schneirla brought that up in the fifties and journals are still accepting articles about approach avoid phenomena.
    Last edited by fromderinside; 08-09-2019 at 06:58 PM.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have found four "Big Five" online personality tests. I have taken all of them:

The Big Five Project - Personality Test
    O = 91 . C = 96 . E = 3 . A = 34 . N = 13 . (0 to 100)

Free Big Five Personality Test - Accurate scores of your personality traits
    O = 92 . C = 77 . E = 19 . A = 56 . N = 23 . (0 to 100)

Big Five Personality Test
    O = 96 . C = 87 . E = 37 . A = 14 . N = 2 . (0 to 100)

Free open-source BigFive personality traits test - translated to multiple languages
    O = 101 . C = 108 . E = 64 . A = 101 . N = 52 . (0 to 120)

That last one has subtraits, six per trait:
    • Neuroticism: Anxiety, Anger, Depression, Self-Consciousness, Immoderation, Vulnerability
    • Extraversion: Friendliness, Gregariousness, Assertiveness, Activity Level, Excitement-Seeking, Cheerfulness
    • Openness: Imagination, Artistic interests, Emotionality, Adventurousness, Intellect, Liberalism
    • Agreeableness: Trust, Morality, Altruism, Cooperation, Modesty, Sympathy
    • Conscientiousness: Self-Efficacy, Orderliness, Dutifulness, Achievement-Striving, Self-Discipline, Cautiousness

My composing this post ought to be independent evidence that I am high in Conscientiousness.